AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Audition, The - Champion Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6
Production 6.5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 64%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.67
Musicianship 8.12
Lyrics 6.69
Production 7.31
Creativity 7.54
Lasting Value 6.62
Reviewer Tilt 8.02
Average: 74%
Inside AP.net

Audition, The - Champion

Reviewed by: weworemasks (02/24/08)
The Audition - Champion
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: January 22, 2008

There are always a handful of albums in your collection that could be filed under “guilty pleasures,” and The Audition’s sophomore release, Champion, could definitely secure a spot. The Audition are a pop-rock group out of Chicago, Illinois, and their 2005 album, Controversy Loves Company, made for one of Victory Records’ strongest debuts in recent memory, especially taking into consideration that most of the band members aren’t even of legal age to drink.

On Champion the band has tightened up its sound, with considerable improvements on guitars. Guitarists Seth Johnson and Timmy Klepek have grown into their own guitar sound, and on songs like “Warm Me Up,” the band's first single, and “Ether,” you can really get a good feel of their newfound talent.

Another improvement lies within the vocals of lead singer Danny Stevens. The three years between the recording of their debut and Champion have given him enough time to progress melodically. Songs like “Make It Rain” and “Basbhat” feature catchy and addictive hooks that are bound to get stuck in your head and annoy you for days on end.

However, the band hasn’t progressed much lyrically. In some cases, the band has stepped it up, but on the other hand, lyrics like “Carry me like jet planes crossing the sea,” in “Edinboro” tend to come off as immature and lackluster. The Audition also tend to make short albums. Clocking in at about 37 minutes, Champion is fast-paced and to the point, much like their 32 minute debut. The band does not waste time with interludes or instrumentals, providing for a quick and easy listen. My biggest grievance with this album is the fact that this is a summer album being released in January, and that it probably does not have the lasting power to be played until the summer.

To sum up, The Audition have crafted a catchy album filled with power-pop and huge choruses to have you and your friends singing songs out loud in the car, if you’re into that sort of thing. Champion is by no means a groundbreaking album, but it’s a fun record that is worth the listen.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
01:41 AM on 03/08/08
xtheaudition
User Info.
i agree =p
01:49 AM on 03/08/08
Gin
What'd those animals say to ya?
User Info.
Me 2, great review!
05:19 AM on 03/08/08
Jared Was Like
Jared
User Info.
Great review! I do feel like The Audition had a better debut album. It seems as though they sorta fell into that sophomore slump. To me, personally, it feels like the same songs rewritten to different music. I can't say I was impressed. And as you said, I think the album may be shot by summer.
07:25 AM on 03/08/08
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
Excellent review.
08:19 AM on 03/08/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Good Review, but I would have given higher scores across the board. Not a lot higher, but higher none the less.
09:25 AM on 03/08/08
quesosauce
"that guy"
User Info.
anyone else notice that the lyrics on just about every song are about sex? Not just like falling in love or whatever, but getting it on seems to be the main theme. Theres one line on Hell to Sell that says something along the lines of "make you scream and shout, but not from pain". Kinda annoying listening to it as a guy, because its all about scoring. Thier last album was more balanced, and had creative lyrics and themes.
10:05 AM on 03/08/08
AMAAS
I'm sinking like a stone in the sea
User Info.
Great review! I do feel like The Audition had a better debut album. It seems as though they sorta fell into that sophomore slump. To me, personally, it feels like the same songs rewritten to different music. I can't say I was impressed. And as you said, I think the album may be shot by summer.

I could barely stand their debut album, but REALLY liked the new one, we'll see as far as staying power, but in comparison the new one is better
11:00 AM on 03/08/08
Jared Was Like
Jared
User Info.
anyone else notice that the lyrics on just about every song are about sex? Not just like falling in love or whatever, but getting it on seems to be the main theme. Theres one line on Hell to Sell that says something along the lines of "make you scream and shout, but not from pain". Kinda annoying listening to it as a guy, because its all about scoring. Thier last album was more balanced, and had creative lyrics and themes.

I did notice that most of the songs are about humping. It really is a repetitive album. Honestly, I was tired of listening to it after a few days and I haven't picked it up since I put it down. I actually skip the songs on my IPOD. Their debut album was definitely better. There was definitely more of a balance and in my personal opinion, the beats of the songs hit a lot harder than their current release.
11:54 AM on 03/08/08
quesosauce
"that guy"
User Info.
I did notice that most of the songs are about humping. It really is a repetitive album. Honestly, I was tired of listening to it after a few days and I haven't picked it up since I put it down. I actually skip the songs on my IPOD. Their debut album was definitely better. There was definitely more of a balance and in my personal opinion, the beats of the songs hit a lot harder than their current release.
its still catchy as fuck, but in that bad way that bands become more catchy to sell cd's type way. And as for frontmen, Danny is an ugly dude, he has some pipes, but he is wierd and blocky looking. At a recent show some 16 year old tennies were jonesin over danny, and maybe its just me but he isnt a looker
12:56 PM on 03/08/08
Jared Was Like
Jared
User Info.
its still catchy as fuck, but in that bad way that bands become more catchy to sell cd's type way. And as for frontmen, Danny is an ugly dude, he has some pipes, but he is wierd and blocky looking. At a recent show some 16 year old tennies were jonesin over danny, and maybe its just me but he isnt a looker

Haha. He's awkwardly proportioned.
02:54 PM on 03/08/08
singlexsorrow
In all this chaos we found safety..
User Info.
Great review and its a solid album.
03:26 PM on 03/08/08
Jared Was Like
Jared
User Info.
Great review and its a solid album.

Solid as jello.
05:17 PM on 03/08/08
lassise
User Info.
i completely disagree. if you liked the old cd this one does not let you down.
05:31 PM on 03/08/08
Jared Was Like
Jared
User Info.
This album beyond let me down. Its a weak album in all aspects.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums