AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Dre Okorley

Written by: Dre Okorley (01/01/13)
Click the image to access the playlist of my fave songs collected from my top 10.

Hopefully you'll find something you like somewhere in this maze.
I'll add more from my other favorite albums (11-30) to the playlist soon.

It's the End of the Year, Yo What can I say about 2012 that won't start off sounding overly contrived and cheesy? All my fellow staffers have seemed to meet some form of success: Adam Pfleider now works for Sargeant House; Thomas Nassiff and I both graduated at the same time; Lueda Alia founded a brand new music website called madeofchalk.com. Everyone just seems to be finding their place. I won't say that the golden releases of 2012 were a lot easier to spot than they were last year, because they weren't. But the ones that did actually shine were some of the best I've heard in ages.

I'll be shooting more live shows, tapping into the hip-hop music video market, translating and interpreting (moving to the midwest possibly ). My list is mostly based on most-improved sound, and not any personal attachments/biases. So, here's to 2013. And that all the joys which 2012 brought us through music and achievements will be magnified greatly next year.

1. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

Birds In Row - You, Me, and the Violence

3. Code Orange Kids - Love is Love
4. Joey Badass - 1999
5. Title Fight - Shed
Propagandhi - Failed States
7. Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes

8. No Trigger - Tycoon
9. Nas - Life is Good
10. Cancer Bats - Dead Set on Living

Biggest Letdown of 2012

The Ghost Inside
- Get What You Give

Awesomest Reel of 2012
James Bond: Skyfall

Biggest Shocks of the Year

1. Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre
2. The Kimye pregnancy
3. Code Orange Kids' new record

Most Gratifying Moments of the Year
1. Title Fight's biggest headline show
2. Graduating and getting my bachelor's degree

Your Favorites This Year:
So what music, movies, books, etc. did you think were best of the year?
Which ones were incredibly over-hyped...who should all we be keeping an eye on?

Thanks to the users and staff fam of AP.net. Let's do this again sometime.
Twitter:
@thatmassivewolf

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
07:47 PM on 01/01/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Completely forgot about Cancer Bats probably due to that record not being available on Rdio, but I remember it being a pretty good album overall. Birds in Row really put out an awesome effort too.
07:52 PM on 01/01/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Completely forgot about Cancer Bats probably due to that record not being available on Rdio, but I remember it being a pretty good album overall. Birds in Row really put out an awesome effort too.
Glad you agree! What other albums did you dig? I found it to be a pretty dry year, honestly...
07:56 PM on 01/01/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Everything in the compiled staff list was completely predictable and are overall overrated.

I can see that the users have been expanding their genre habits but a lot of the staff seems a bit more obstinate than them.

Oh, and yeah every album on this list is good except I haven't heard Cancer Bats and have mixed feelings about Nas' and COK's new albums.
08:00 PM on 01/01/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Glad you agree! What other albums did you dig? I found it to be a pretty dry year, honestly...
In addition to the ones I mentioned, from your list I really enjoyed Title Fight, No Trigger and Propagandhi's releases. I really didn't like Floral Green as much when it came out since the song structures were so much longer and more developed than She,d and I missed those short bursts of raw energy from Shed. However after a few listens I grew increasingly appreciative in the step up songwriting wise, and although I still prefer Shed Floral Green is damn close.

Tycoon is just a really fun album and Propagandhi threw me back to my days of listening to 80's thrash with some of the solos they pull off. My first time listening to Failed States was my first time listening to Propagandhi and I was blown away really.

Menzingers had my top spot, Enter Shikari, Sharks, Caspian, ETID, The Chariot, Silversun Pickups, Silverstein, Caspian, Daytrader rounding out the top of my list. I think 2011 was a bit better for me personally, since the albums I listened to then had a lot of importance in getting me to listen to new styles of music, and those bands with the exception of Title Fight aren't releasing albums until 2013, so that's what I'm really looking forward to.
08:00 PM on 01/01/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Everything in the compiled staff list was completely predictable and are overall overrated.

I can see that the users have been expanding their genre habits but a lot of the staff seems a bit more obstinate than them.

Oh, and yeah every album on this list is good except I haven't heard Cancer Bats and have mixed feelings about Nas' and COK's new albums.
You know, I agree. Nas' effort wasn't the best he's ever done, it was simply alright. But compared to the rest of the stuff I've heard this year, I thought it deserved a spot.

Also, you really thought this year's list was predictable? What do you think about what another user's comments about bands like MCS not making the list and therefore that may represent a shift in staff tastes?
08:07 PM on 01/01/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
You know, I agree. Nas' effort wasn't the best he's ever done, it was simply alright. But compared to the rest of the stuff I've heard this year, I thought it deserved a spot.

Also, you really thought this year's list was predictable? What do you think about what another user's comments about bands like MCS not making the list and therefore that may represent a shift in staff tastes?
Wait what's MCS?

I've visited a bunch of other music sites and they all say rather similar things. ap.net being quite predictable. Everything there have had tons of buzz here, there and everywhere.

The ones that weren't predictable:
30 . Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist (Self-released)
20. No Trigger - Tycoon (No Sleep)
19. The Tower and The Fool - How Long (Run For Cover)
10:22 PM on 01/01/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Wait what's MCS?

I've visited a bunch of other music sites and they all say rather similar things. ap.net being quite predictable. Everything there have had tons of buzz here, there and everywhere.

The ones that weren't predictable:
30 . Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist (Self-released)
20. No Trigger - Tycoon (No Sleep)
19. The Tower and The Fool - How Long (Run For Cover)
Motion City Soundtrack. And I'm surprised you expected to see Propagandhi on it. I didn't, haha.
11:27 PM on 01/01/13
ChaseTx
I'll check out your playlist sometime this week. I haven't really heard any of the non-hip hop stuff, so I suppose I need to branch out. I've really only heard a few of the albums on other staff members' lists and the compiled list, to be honest.
01:22 AM on 01/02/13
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
love it. i didnt know who code orange kids/birds in a row were but i checked them out on your spotify playlists and well... HOLY FUCK. thanks for this haha. also congrats on your bachelors and hope you have an awesome 2013!
04:33 AM on 01/02/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Motion City Soundtrack. And I'm surprised you expected to see Propagandhi on it. I didn't, haha.
I personally thought that MCS' new album was incredibly generic and just plain bad. I guess that sentiment was shared here as well. I thought Propagandhi was collectively one of the highest rated punk albums of this year. I knew that the Menzingers would end up on this list but at #1 seemed quite surprising.

However, albums I was surprised didn't make the list would include:
1. Even moar pop punx bands
2. Converge
3. Godspeed You!
4. The Chariot (got a good amount of buzz elsewhere, expect that buzz to also be here)
5. I honestly thought a few more hip-hop albums would make the list.
08:00 AM on 01/02/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
I like this list. I'm sure you're so surprised. ;)
08:02 AM on 01/02/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
My still unfinished and probably forever unfinished top 10:

2. How To Dress Well - Total Loss
3. Nas - Life Is Good
4. Xiu Xiu - Always
5. Ab-Soul - Control System
6. Death Grips - The Money Store
7. Yuna - Yuna
8. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
9. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
10. R. Kelly - Write Me Back
08:04 AM on 01/02/13
ChaseTx

3. Nas - Life Is Good
4. Xiu Xiu - Always
7. Yuna - Yuna
Good looks on Yuna, that's a pretty great album.
08:28 AM on 01/02/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.

3. Nas - Life Is Good
4. Xiu Xiu - Always
7. Yuna - Yuna
Nice. And thanks to everyone for checking mine out. Too bad I had to rush, otherwise there'd actually be a top 30!
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version