AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:52 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
dom_182
Reckless Abandon
Male - 23 Years Old
Hi everyone! I'm currently approaching the end of my University degree over here in good old England! I've been looking for work to go into after my degree (predominantly in Marketing) and am finding opportunities hard to come by.

I've always toyed with the idea of working abroad and living in your delightful country has always appealed to me! I was just wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of where I might find vacancies advertised? I would love to live in New York, but am open to other areas of the country.

Slightly unusual thread to start on AP, I know, but I'm kind of clutching at straws here! Thanks amigos. :)
09:57 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
drat!
How much cheese is too much cheese?
PA
Male - 27 Years Old
You can put your CV/resume out at monster.com

I know that's not a huge help but it's something.
11:32 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee
Male - 24 Years Old
I know it sounds weird, but I got my job on craigslist. It's part time so I only get twenty five hours a week, but they give me twelve dollars an hour so it balances out. I'm sure you'd be looking for something with a little more compensation though, but they do have some salary jobs listed on their. Might be worth a look.
12:37 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
Don't come to america; no free healthcare and bush sucks
12:40 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Don't come to america; no free healthcare and bush sucks

12:52 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
JoeLovesMO
JoeLovesMansions
Manhattan, KS
Male - 22 Years Old
Hi everyone! I'm currently approaching the end of my University degree over here in good old England! I've been looking for work to go into after my degree (predominantly in Marketing) and am finding opportunities hard to come by.

I've always toyed with the idea of working abroad and living in your delightful country has always appealed to me! I was just wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of where I might find vacancies advertised? I would love to live in New York, but am open to other areas of the country.

Slightly unusual thread to start on AP, I know, but I'm kind of clutching at straws here! Thanks amigos. :)

New York is expensive, that's all I can tell you. But I'll be watching this thread cause I've always wanted to work in the US.
03:18 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
New York is expensive, that's all I can tell you. But I'll be watching this thread cause I've always wanted to work in the US.

Verry true, from what I've heard
03:41 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
dom_182
Reckless Abandon
Male - 23 Years Old
Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm very grateful indeed! I'm finding it hard to find any entry level positions in businesses. I literally have no idea where to look for in terms of graduate schemes etc.
03:53 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
moontard
every thought, a thought of you
Glasgow
Male - 24 Years Old
Hi Dom,
I am in the same position as you. Currently it is very hard for you to be able to just get a job and go over, unless you are working for a company who wants to transfer you there. When petitioning for your visa, they have to prove that no American citizen is able to do the job you are going over for. If you want to talk more, IM me.
03:56 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
Lemont/Chicago
Male - 21 Years Old
Chicago has a TON of big companies based here (Boeing, McDonalds, etc) so you may want to look around this area for jobs in marketing. Don't be fooled, it's expensive with high taxes and the most corrupt state and local government in the country (half of our previous 8 governors have gone to jail and Chicago politics are infamous obviously) but it is less expensive than areas like Los Angeles and NYC.
04:54 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
Chicago is a good choice, especially if you want more for your money. But I doubt you'll find a job here other than working at a clothing store or something. If you really want to get a job here, find one there and see if they have an office in the states. The economy sucks here so it'll be better to just find something there. Heck, personally if I were to want to travel to somewhere with a shit economy i'd choose Spain
05:35 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
honey bunny that's the funny thing
omnipresent
Female
LOL, good luck with that unless you have an advanced degree or are sponsored as someone else mentioned. Unemployment in the US is still quite high, we're still coming out of a recession, now is really not the time to try to move here unless you have plenty of money or connections.
05:19 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
texasforever
England
Male - 20 Years Old
Yeah there's pretty much no hope. My Dad moved there when I was a kid and he just only made it there and we had to leave a year early (you get a 3 year initial working visa) because his boss said he wasn't going to vouch for us anymore.

That was about 5 or 6 years ago though so I don't know if it's changed, but as I understand it you have to be sponsored by a company over there, which unless you're ridiculously qualified or have great connections it could be very hard.

I want to move there so I'm working for a company over here that has offices out there so maybe in about ten years I can transfer internally, I hope anyway.
09:13 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
themagicrat
Winnie Cooper is a goddamned whore
Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old
LOL marketing. Go get a real degree and you won't have a problem.
09:57 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
Pa
Male - 28 Years Old
Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm very grateful indeed! I'm finding it hard to find any entry level positions in businesses. I literally have no idea where to look for in terms of graduate schemes etc.

9/10 times you find a job here by knowing someone or having some type of "in". I have friends with masters degrees who are really having trouble finding an entry level job. You need to make yourself stand out in some type of way. If you have money saved up, move here and look. Stop by businesses in person and hand them your resume. Make an impression. But rest assured, if you do that, it's a full time job in and of itself. And it'll most likely require more energy than any job that comes of it. It's exhausting.

LOL marketing. Go get a real degree and you won't have a problem.

I'll bite. What's your degree in? Only reason I ask is because you seem like an asshole and I want to see if you fit any funny stereotypes.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos