Password
This Thread is Closed.

12:01 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 23 Years Old
Walmart will apparently pull out of it's proposal for a new store in Washington D.C. if they pass their new living wage law. Because, you know, fuck paying people enough to support themselves.
12:08 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
archersaurus
the bull city
Female - 32 Years Old
lol saw that a little bit ago. hope DC says don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
02:10 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
@PyramidPostcard
Omaha, NE
Non-Binary - 23 Years Old
Last summer saw the rise of "Holmies"
Forgot about that shit. Ugh.
Walmart will apparently pull out of it's proposal for a new store in Washington D.C. if they pass their new living wage law. Because, you know, fuck paying people enough to support themselves.
Fuck walmart.
05:04 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
Alou
Shenanigans.
Dacula, GA
Male - 24 Years Old
Walmart (and other US companies) also wouldnt agree to support European companies' proposal for making Bangladesh factories safer because it was legally binding.

And Boehner apparently wants to negotiate on immigration, but only things like border security and employment verification. Ugh. "Hey guys, could you pass what I want and not any of the things you want..."
05:12 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
@PyramidPostcard
Omaha, NE
Non-Binary - 23 Years Old
Walmart (and other US companies) also wouldnt agree to support European companies' proposal for making Bangladesh factories safer because it was legally binding.

And Boehner apparently wants to negotiate on immigration, but only things like border security and employment verification. Ugh. "Hey guys, could you pass what I want and not any of the things you want..."

"We want immigration reform. and by reform, we mean buying unnecessary weaponry and vehicles from defense contractors that have donated to our campaigns in the past."
06:06 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
archersaurus
the bull city
Female - 32 Years Old
doesn't matter if he pleaded not guilty - they'll put the death penalty on the table and get him to plead out, or he'll get his death sentence, and either way he'll be spending the rest of his days in like terre haute, IN or something
06:47 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
Surprised the Apple ruling hasn't been discussed in here today
06:51 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
what's it supposed to do? it's the free market, it has a right to go where it can make the most profit. this will cost dc jobs and economic growth.

/devil's advocate
06:59 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Troll the Respawn Jeremy
Connecticut
Male
what's it supposed to do? it's the free market, it has a right to go where it can make the most profit. this will cost dc jobs and economic growth.

/devil's advocate

I get the devil's advocate position, but what really grinds my gears with Wal-Mart is that they actually hold informational sessions with new part-time employees on how to register for food stamps.
07:06 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 23 Years Old

/devil's advocate
They're making the most profit at the expense of their employees. They always have. Walmart feels no need to pay people more than minimum wage because they know they have an endless stream of people who will work there because it's, slightly, better than nothing. They are one of the most profitable corporations in the world while, as JG mentioned, holding workshops on how to sign up for food stamps. Because they know they can make the government subsidize their profits by not paying their employees enough to live on.
07:18 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
I get the devil's advocate position, but what really grinds my gears with Wal-Mart is that they actually hold informational sessions with new part-time employees on how to register for food stamps.
i did not know that. that's...awful.
They're making the most profit at the expense of their employees. They always have. Walmart feels no need to pay people more than minimum wage because they know they have an endless stream of people who will work there because it's, slightly, better than nothing. They are one of the most profitable corporations in the world while, as JG mentioned, holding workshops on how to sign up for food stamps. Because they know they can make the government subsidize their profits by not paying their employees enough to live on.

it's the nature of capitalism.
07:19 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 23 Years Old

which is why pure capitalism sucks
07:41 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 29 Years Old
07:49 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
archersaurus
the bull city
Female - 32 Years Old
Surprised the Apple ruling hasn't been discussed in here today
i don't pay for digital files and e-books are no different. i guess we'll see if this has any real long term effect though.
08:18 PM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
Gold Sounds
No Avatar Selected
UK
Male - 28 Years Old

In America maybe, but in Europe every country runs a capitalist economy, only big business aren't allowed to take the absolute piss out of their employees and the government.

Plenty of countries (Germany, Scandinavia, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, UK) run successful economies where the workers actually have proper rights.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos