AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

10:52 PM on 10/09/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 24 Years Old
Not for nothing, but for a writer criticizing the "assumptions" the architects of the bill made...the author's premise is based almost entirely off assumptions.
You can't make any argument in this area other than an inductive one. What's your point?
10:55 PM on 10/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 28 Years Old
You can't make any argument in this area other than an inductive one. What's your point?
That his criticism of the assumptions Obamacare makes is silly when his assertions are also based on assumptions.
10:58 PM on 10/09/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 24 Years Old
That his criticism of the assumptions Obamacare makes is silly when his assertions are also based on assumptions.
I don't follow your logic.

1. I believe your argument is wrong
2. I make an argument against it
3. I used an argument, therefore I am wrong? Or silly, in this case?
11:03 PM on 10/09/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 23 Years Old
I don't follow your logic.

1. I believe your argument is wrong
2. I make an argument against it
3. I used an argument, therefore I am wrong? Or silly, in this case?
the problem was not that he used an argument, it was that he made assumptions about why Obama's assumptions might be wrong. It's the equivalent of saying "I don't know shit about this topic, but I don't think you know shit about this topic either based on what I perceive to be our mutual lack of knowledge".
11:07 PM on 10/09/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 24 Years Old
the problem was not that he used an argument, it was that he made assumptions about why Obama's assumptions might be wrong. It's the equivalent of saying "I don't know shit about this topic, but I don't think you know shit about this topic either based on what I perceive to be our mutual lack of knowledge".
Again, you can't make a deductive argument with something like this. The author is not arguing against making assumptions, you can't avoid it with this topic, simply that the administration's assumptions are weak, short-sighted, and will not accomplish their goal. To say "LOL he used assumptions to attack someone else's assumptions" is a silly and hollow dismissal because, again, this is an inductive debate.
12:32 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
I disagree with his premise that the subsidies will make the people price insensitive. That family of 4 making 138% of the poverty line getting that large subsidy is still going to pay ~$85 a month in his example....that's a lot of money for a family of four making such little income. They may elect to just buy the bronze plan instead.
03:45 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified

That excerpt may have the most bizarre first sentence I've ever seen.
04:11 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 30 Years Old
http://jacobinmag.com/2013/10/what-does-obama-think-they-were-doing-at-stonewall/

Quote:
Barack Obama, Second Inaugural Address:

We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall….

Barack Obama on the Republicans and the shutdown at yesterday’s press conference:

I was at a small business the other day and talking to a bunch of workers, and I said, you know, when you’re at the plant and you’re in the middle of your job, do you ever say to your boss, you know what, unless I get a raise right now and more vacation pay, I’m going to just shut down the plant; I’m not going to just walk off the job, I’m going to break the equipment — I said, how do you think that would go? They all thought they’d be fired. And I think most of us think that. You know, there’s nothing wrong with asking for a raise or asking for more time off. But you can’t burn down the plant or your office if you don’t get your way. Well, the same thing is true here.

Yep, that’s how we got emancipation, civil rights, unions, feminism, and gay rights in this country: just by “asking.” I mean, what the fuck does Obama think they were doing at Stonewall?
06:24 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 28 Years Old
Billionaire Donald Trump has offered to pick up paying a “death gratuity” to families of four soldiers and a Marine who died in combat in Afghanistan over the weekend after the Pentagon announced it is suspending immediate payments to families of combat fatalities because of the government shutdown.
When service men and women are killed in combat, the Pentagon normally pays families $100,000 to cover funerals and the cost of families to travel to receive the remains of their loved ones.
The Pentagon suspended those payments after the government shutdown, stirring outrage on Capitol Hill.
The House is expected to take up a bill today that would have the payments resume.
In the meantime, Trump has offered to step in, and other private groups have said they will also lend a hand.

link
06:49 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 30 Years Old
Inequality is a recurring theme these days and rightly so, though the issue becomes starker when we look at the global trends and have concrete numbers to put to them. For those interested, this was posted this morning on a blog a regularly follow;

Quote:
Just 8.4% of all the 5bn adults in the world own 83.4% of all household wealth (that’s property and financial assets, like stocks, shares and cash in the bank). About 393 million people have net worth (that’s wealth after all debt is accounted for) of over $100,000, that’s 10% own 86% of all household wealth! But $100,000 may not seem that much, if you own a house in any G7 country without any mortgage. So many millions in the UK or the US are in the top 10% of global wealth holders. This shows just how little two-thirds of adults in the world lhave – under $10,000 of net wealth each and billions have nothing at all...... This inequality is mirrored within each country (see UK wealth distribution). In the UK, aggregate total wealth (including private pension wealth but excluding state pension wealth) of all private households in Great Britain was £10.3 trillion. And the wealthiest 10 per cent of households were 4.4 times wealthier than the bottom 50 per cent of households combined. The wealthiest 20 per cent of households owned 62 per cent of total aggregate household wealth. Moreover, according to the Credit Suisse report, the ‘American dream’ or the British idea of ‘rags to riches’ is a myth. Two-thirds of American adults are in the same wealth decile as their parents were. Even globally, “while some individuals do alternate wildly between rags and riches, many stay for their whole lifetime in the same wealth neighborhood for people of their age. Dividing the population into wealth quintiles, about half the population remains in the same quintile after ten years and we estimate that at least a third would be in the same quintile after thirty years.”

Global wealth is projected to rise by nearly 40% over the next five years, reaching $334 trillion by 2018. Emerging markets will be responsible for 29% of the growth, although they account for just 21% of current wealth, while China will account for nearly 50% of the increase in emerging economies’ wealth. Wealth will primarily be driven by growth in the middle segment, but the number of millionaires will also grow markedly over the next five years.
06:52 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 23 Years Old
http://jacobinmag.com/2013/10/what-does-obama-think-they-were-doing-at-stonewall/
these are not equatable situations
06:56 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Wales
Male - 24 Years Old
Billionaire Donald Trump has offered to pick up paying a “death gratuity” to families of four soldiers and a Marine who died in combat in Afghanistan over the weekend after the Pentagon announced it is suspending immediate payments to families of combat fatalities because of the government shutdown.
When service men and women are killed in combat, the Pentagon normally pays families $100,000 to cover funerals and the cost of families to travel to receive the remains of their loved ones.
The Pentagon suspended those payments after the government shutdown, stirring outrage on Capitol Hill.
The House is expected to take up a bill today that would have the payments resume.
In the meantime, Trump has offered to step in, and other private groups have said they will also lend a hand.

link

Trump's a wanker, but good for him in this instance.
07:11 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 30 Years Old
these are not equatable situations
The point is, historically speaking, gains have been made by drastic measures. Obama's use of the example is demonstrative of how he conceptualizes struggle through his own class interests, whilst invoking those struggles in a contradictory way.
07:30 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 29 Years Old
Verified
I disagree with his premise that the subsidies will make the people price insensitive. That family of 4 making 138% of the poverty line getting that large subsidy is still going to pay ~$85 a month in his example....that's a lot of money for a family of four making such little income. They may elect to just buy the bronze plan instead.

Better grab those bootstraps.
07:35 AM on 10/10/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 28 Years Old
WASHINGTON (AP) — GOP aides say House Speaker John Boehner will ask House Republicans to approve a short-term extension of the government's ability to borrow to meet its bills.
The Ohio Republican is slated to urge his staunchly conservative GOP colleagues to act before the government runs out of borrowing authority next week.

Republicans have been insistent that budget cuts and other measures be added to the so-called debt ceiling legislation but the aides wouldn't say whether he'll seek to add other material to the measure.

The aides required anonymity to reveal the information before Boehner makes an announcement after a closed-door meeting with his GOP colleagues.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos