Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
No Love Deep M.I.A. please
10:08 AM on 01/07/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
I love how outraged everyone is with the label. Sure, from an artist's standpoint it sucks that the album is being delayed because of disagreements with the label, but it's almost to be expected. If M.I.A. wanted to retain complete creative control over her releases, she probably shouldn't be putting it out on a major label. They are first and foremost, interested in selling records, not "self expression or artistic integrity." If you want to enjoy the benefits that come with being on a major label, you're gonna also have to put up with bullshit like this.

Sad but true. Speaking from experience. Hah.

These days though, it seems like her self expression or artistic integrity is what will sell records for someone like her. Or am I wrong? It doesn't seem like M.I.A.'s the type of artist that people will buy from because of any conformity from her.
10:37 AM on 01/07/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
I'm with you 100% on this. She's always retained an identity that I think sets her apart from standard "mainstream" fare, despite having success in that very world. I think she'd benefit from putting out what she feels represents her the most right now, but people who only look at numbers and fail to recognize that "x factor" in honest art, tend to want to do what makes the most sense on paper.
And it seems, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that unless the artist is "that artist" that's bred to be a pop success (Justin Bieber, for example (and no disrespect to him)) then in the end, this backfires commercially.
11:05 AM on 01/07/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
What it really comes down to in my eyes, is that the major label approach is a failing model, held barely afloat by the MASSIVE returns they see in a few acts here and there. (Bieber, Gaga, etc.) Right now, they still manage to create enough revenue to bounce back from the losses they take in all the other projects that, in their eyes, fail.
It's the "throw a bunch of shit at a walll and see what sticks" method.
Yes, this exactly. I think that's the main thing I was trying to get at with my last response, just didn't put it in those words.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests