08:12 AM on 01/07/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
09:09 AM on 01/07/13
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
good for her for denouncing how douchebags the guys from her label are. now let's hope she doesn't sell out
09:23 AM on 01/07/13
NewAgeofHorus
User Info.
The music industry is full of a bunch of suck fucks.

Maybe she give them a black metal album
09:39 AM on 01/07/13
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
No Love Deep M.I.A. please
Yes.
09:48 AM on 01/07/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Yeah, damn you M.I.A. for being so.....so happy!
09:57 AM on 01/07/13
AlexAllTimeLow
User Info.
This is a serious bummer, and far too common an occurrence in the record industry. Hope she fights through it and puts out the music she feels is best.
09:59 AM on 01/07/13
Jet Set Paul
User Info.
I love how outraged everyone is with the label. Sure, from an artist's standpoint it sucks that the album is being delayed because of disagreements with the label, but it's almost to be expected. If M.I.A. wanted to retain complete creative control over her releases, she probably shouldn't be putting it out on a major label. They are first and foremost, interested in selling records, not "self expression or artistic integrity." If you want to enjoy the benefits that come with being on a major label, you're gonna also have to put up with bullshit like this.
10:00 AM on 01/07/13
AlexAllTimeLow
User Info.
I love how outraged everyone is with the label. Sure, from an artist's standpoint it sucks that the album is being delayed because of disagreements with the label, but it's almost to be expected. If M.I.A. wanted to retain complete creative control over her releases, she probably shouldn't be putting it out on a major label. They are first and foremost, interested in selling records, not "self expression or artistic integrity." If you want to enjoy the benefits that come with being on a major label, you're gonna also have to put up with bullshit like this.
Sad but true. Speaking from experience. Hah.
10:06 AM on 01/07/13
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
Aren't some artists able to retain creative control through majors though? I've always been curious how that comes to be.
10:08 AM on 01/07/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.

These days though, it seems like her self expression or artistic integrity is what will sell records for someone like her. Or am I wrong? It doesn't seem like M.I.A.'s the type of artist that people will buy from because of any conformity from her.
10:19 AM on 01/07/13
Who Is Ryan?
???
User Info.
As much as I love a good Dark Album, it's pretty clear that she's in a different place in her life which is obviously more positive

Just hurry up and release it!
10:20 AM on 01/07/13
AlexAllTimeLow
User Info.
Aren't some artists able to retain creative control through majors though? I've always been curious how that comes to be.
Absolutely. It's really all about who's handling the project.

However, there are also a fair amount of games to be played when there's a lot of money involved, and that's probably what this has come down to. IE. Label feels like they've paid a lot, only to find out she's made a record that they didn't expect / plan for. Now it's about posturing back and forth until someone caves. Typically, because the label has final say on what and when anything gets released, the artist is forced to compromise in order to make everybody as happy as they can be.

Without a doubt, she has the ability to fight and fight for her complete creative control, but the cost will be record delays and massive loss of momentum, which is detrimental to a new cycle.
10:24 AM on 01/07/13
AlexAllTimeLow
User Info.
To elaborate on 'retaining creative control': It's not something that actually appears in the contract with specific numbers. It's just two parties going back and forth until someone reaches an agreement. It varies case by case and label to label. Interscope played hard ball with us when it came to what songs "needed" to be on Dirty Work. Hopeless records has never once tried to bully us about what should or shouldn't be on our records. I think that's probably true throughout the entire industry.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests