AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Stupid News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 52.
10:29 AM on 01/07/13
AlexAllTimeLow
User Info.
These days though, it seems like her self expression or artistic integrity is what will sell records for someone like her. Or am I wrong? It doesn't seem like M.I.A.'s the type of artist that people will buy from because of any conformity from her.
I'm with you 100% on this. She's always retained an identity that I think sets her apart from standard "mainstream" fare, despite having success in that very world. I think she'd benefit from putting out what she feels represents her the most right now, but people who only look at numbers and fail to recognize that "x factor" in honest art, tend to want to do what makes the most sense on paper.
10:36 AM on 01/07/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
10:37 AM on 01/07/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
I'm with you 100% on this. She's always retained an identity that I think sets her apart from standard "mainstream" fare, despite having success in that very world. I think she'd benefit from putting out what she feels represents her the most right now, but people who only look at numbers and fail to recognize that "x factor" in honest art, tend to want to do what makes the most sense on paper.
And it seems, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that unless the artist is "that artist" that's bred to be a pop success (Justin Bieber, for example (and no disrespect to him)) then in the end, this backfires commercially.
10:40 AM on 01/07/13
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
To elaborate on 'retaining creative control': It's not something that actually appears in the contract with specific numbers. It's just two parties going back and forth until someone reaches an agreement. It varies case by case and label to label. Interscope played hard ball with us when it came to what songs "needed" to be on Dirty Work. Hopeless records has never once tried to bully us about what should or shouldn't be on our records. I think that's probably true throughout the entire industry.
Gotcha, thanks for the insight. A band that comes to mind who has been able to navigate the majors their way is MGMT. The first album had these huge singles with Kids and Time to Pretend, and they went against that with their follow-up, and based on interviews I've seen, they seemed to have the ball in their court when it came to the control. Glad you guys are in a better position with Hopeless now, they seem to handle their bands well.
10:40 AM on 01/07/13
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
Don't know anything about this artist or label, but this article caught my eye scrolling through the site and I just have to say that this is just wrong. I mean, seriously. It's like some kind of joke.
10:45 AM on 01/07/13
AlexAllTimeLow
User Info.
And it seems, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that unless the artist is "that artist" that's bred to be a pop success (Justin Bieber, for example (and no disrespect to him)) then in the end, this backfires commercially.
I don't think it's always that clear-cut, but there are definitely artists who are, "in it for the ride," so to speak... The light of the Borg queen shines upon them-- They really have no artistic goal, and therefore stick to the label's plan without causing much friction.
10:48 AM on 01/07/13
ChaseTx
It sounds like kind of a reversal of what you usually hear about -- an artist that typically makes safe, predictable music turns in something out of the ordinary, and the label wants them to change it. Here you have an artist known for being a bit edgy trying to put out something seemingly less-so, and the label is not supporting it for that reason. Interesting.
10:53 AM on 01/07/13
AlexAllTimeLow
User Info.
Interesting. I hope more smaller bands will understand this. Further reinforces the notion that Hopeless is just one of the best record labels around, period.
I'd say so. They're progressive, forward-thinking, and above all, put the band's wishes first. I think it's good for a label to push back sometimes-- that's the point of a partnership-- but it's when the label begins to push so much that the artist's vision gets distorted, that the artist (and label, in a lot of cases) end up suffering.

What it really comes down to in my eyes, is that the major label approach is a failing model, held barely afloat by the MASSIVE returns they see in a few acts here and there. (Bieber, Gaga, etc.) Right now, they still manage to create enough revenue to bounce back from the losses they take in all the other projects that, in their eyes, fail.
It's the "throw a bunch of shit at a walll and see what sticks" method.
11:05 AM on 01/07/13
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
I'm not gonna write you a dark song, 'cause you asked for it, cause you need one....
11:05 AM on 01/07/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
What it really comes down to in my eyes, is that the major label approach is a failing model, held barely afloat by the MASSIVE returns they see in a few acts here and there. (Bieber, Gaga, etc.) Right now, they still manage to create enough revenue to bounce back from the losses they take in all the other projects that, in their eyes, fail.
It's the "throw a bunch of shit at a walll and see what sticks" method.
Yes, this exactly. I think that's the main thing I was trying to get at with my last response, just didn't put it in those words.
12:43 PM on 01/07/13
Jet Set Paul
User Info.
These days though, it seems like her self expression or artistic integrity is what will sell records for someone like her. Or am I wrong? It doesn't seem like M.I.A.'s the type of artist that people will buy from because of any conformity from her.

You're probably right. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of the folks in charge at major labels are kind of oblivious/don't really understand how the "indie" scene works. and when they're fronting the bill for production, promotion, etc. the artists have to suck up to them and do things their way in order to get their albums released. I'm sure it's not always like this for artists on major labels, but M.I.A.'s situation is fairly typical : /
01:00 PM on 01/07/13
DylanPPPP
Noooooooooooch
User Info.
Alex Gaskarth spewing out truth bombs.

I'm going to go listen to Don't Panic now.
01:07 PM on 01/07/13
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
Another obvious disconnect between the suits and art.
01:47 PM on 01/07/13
rsk423
User Info.
I'm not gonna write you a dark song, 'cause you asked for it, cause you need one....

/Thread

And I'm happy Alex is in here talking about the benefits of the disadvantages of major labels. My favorite band, Motion City Soundtrack, was on Columbia and ironically made an album that could be easily been on an indie label. I still think Even If It Kills Me was their major label debut, even if that's not the case. It just depends on the artist and the label. Timing is huge too.
02:18 PM on 01/07/13
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
Nice integrity as an artist.

Just out of curiosity, are you a fan of her music?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests