12:54 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
None of those! Seattle or Portland.

yes. though Austin does seem pretty cool, and not only for the music scene. but i would hate being in the middle of Texas, i'd like never leave Austin. at least in the PNW you can go up and down the coast and into the mountains and all of it is really cool.

on the east coast, Boston is my favorite, but it's too cold for me. NYC, obviously awesome but way too expensive. Philly is cool to visit but i would only be able to live either in the ghetto or outside the city.

i'm biased here, but Baltimore is probably the best place for me on the east coast -- temperate climate, thriving underground music scene, plenty of chill bars that aren't just for shitty music and shitty dancing, rent is WAY cheaper than NYC, Philly, or DC, very close knit communities compared to other major cities, countless excellent seafood and italian restaurants, can easily take day trips to Philly or DC (and have done two to NYC since ive been here as well) so it's in an excellent location, never have trouble finding parking + excellent bus/light rail transit, and hilly Maryland countryside is literally only 20 minutes away if i want to go for a scenic drive or something. this place is a lot more cultured than i ever thought it was before moving here and it feels much more like a collection of neighborhoods than a busy city.
12:58 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified

In a perfect world, I would never leave Minneapolis.

what would you guys say is cool about Minneapolis?

i have an uncle that lives there that i'm visiting this year and i want to know what to experience around town
04:25 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
I mean, I'm biased, and can give you more specific examples if need be, but here's just a quick little blurb:

- It's one of the quickest growing media hubs in the country. Local music, film and TV productions, stage plays, the amount of all of these are growing at an astronomical rate. There's a large amount of venues of all sizes that are very respectable, the tax credits given make it sensible to shoot films and shows here, and we're second only to Broadway as far as revenue from stage productions. Also, our comedy club is a top 5 club in the country.

- The bar scene is great, because it's very compartmentalized. If you're a college student, you go to Dinkytown, which is where the college bars are. Downtown MPLS is the club scene. Uptown MPLS is, for lack of a better word, where the 'hip' bars are (no idea how else to phrase it, they're basically the coolest bars in the city). There's also a few stretches of town where dive bars are most prevalent. If you don't want to feel out of your element, you don't have to. It's easy to find a place that's 'your place' if that makes any sense.

- The public transit system is one of the top 5 in the country. A continually expanding lightrail system, an immensely comprehensive bus system that covers just about every suburb in any direction, and bike rental services make it so easy to get around if you don't own a car. I think Minneapolis averages the most cyclists per day in the country. Not sure what that's based off of though.

- It's a large, large city that doesn't feel overwhelming. It doesn't have a 'small town feel,' but it doesn't scare the shit out of you upon arrival like your Chicagos and NYCs.

- Our local breweries will blow your mind.

- I don't really know how to go in depth with this (seeing as I'm not a super picky or predictable eater), but there's so many amazing places to eat. This isn't really a selling point, though, because all cities kind of have this.

- For the most part, people here are really, really nice. That goes a long way.

a lot of these things sound exactly like Baltimore, actually. i like cities that feel more local than humungous, i've come to realize.

thanks for the input!
04:33 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Baltimore was pretty dope

Ha, I actually didn't think so that much. But I only spent a few days there. It was just kind of "dirty" to me.

BUT I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten in Baltimore, so there's that!

oh yeah i have had several of those since moving here. so many just top quality seafood restaurants, and this ranges from upscale surf and turf places, to sushi places, to the famous Maryland crab shacks -- and Eat Bertha's Mussels prepares mussels in like 25 different ways.

also i do this thing with my girlfriend where we try to go to a new italian restaurant in Little Italy every time she visits. weve been to 6 and havent even scratched the surface, every one was amazing. no interest in going to Olive Garden ever again

non-"dirty" areas: Federal Hill, Mount Vernon (my neighborhood), most of Fells Point, the main strip of the Inner Harbor (Pratt St.) just for future reference.
04:36 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
this is what i look at when i walk outside

parts of my area remind me of European cities, especially where there's cobblestone streets. lots of really historic apartment buildings that used to be mansions of Maryland's wealthy in the 1800s

here's the local monument lit up at night

and pretty much a view of the whole neighborhood during the day

panorama of downtown from across the harbor. that crazy looking building on the right with an indoor bridge that crosses the water is the National Aquarium, probably the best animal exhibit ive ever been to. right behind it is an old power plant that was converted into Hard Rock and ESPN cafe's, the biggest barnes & noble i've ever seen, and the premier music venue in town called "Rams Head Live". to the left of the tallest building is a Landing where several of those great restaurants are located

in conclusion. parts of Baltimore are beautiful.
04:52 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
I was staying with my friends who work at Under Armour so we were right by the company campus, whichever hood that is in.

Have you been to the Woodberry Kitchen?

ah yeah that's Locust Point, you were in one of the industrial/seaport districts of town, that's why. haha. Baltimore is historically (well, it still is) a major port city so there are some pretty polluted and ugly parts of course.

i have not been to that restaurant yet. if i had the money i'd be eating out every night of the week here, believe me. but theres still so many places i havent gone
04:58 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
If you ever go there, GET THE PUDDING FOR DESSERT.

will do!

also, one major thing i havent said yet about Baltimore: RENT IS CHEAP. i wouldnt be able to afford even a studio apartment in DC or Philly and DEFINITELY not NYC. but for my one bedroom apt. here with plenty of closet space, a living room that also houses ALL my music equipment, and a kitchen as big as my bedroom, i pay 735 a month. for a major city in the northeast, that's like "what the FUCK" cheap.
05:11 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
liking the Minneapolis love up in here. its making me excited to go visit my uncle. im way too much of a pussy about the cold to live up there though, i wouldnt make it past October

i have been to the Mall of America and i must say, having a roller coaster in your mall is pretty fucking epic
05:13 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
It does rain a lot in Seattle, which sucks for the rest of us Washington people because people always ask if it rains a lot here. Bitch, I'm dick high in snow right now.

Also, Portland is only too hipster if you're still using the word hipster in 2013.

where in Washington are you?

from what ive read summer is the dry season in Seattle, which would be perfect to go along with the mild summer weather, and likewise rain in the winter means its obviously not that cold considering how far north it is. honestly a lot of the northeast gets rain out the ass in fall/spring so it makes me think that the whole "Seattle's too rainy" thing is way overblown. im pretty sure NYC gets more annual precipitation than Seattle does
12:06 AM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
New Orleans. I've been here almost 8 years and everything about it is perfect. The culture is amazing, the weather is amazing, the food is amazing, there's always something to do and rarely ever a dull moment.

The size of NOLA is perfect, the southern lifestyle is everything I've wanted even though it can be incredibly frustrating at times. I also love living in a city with so much historical significance. New Orleans is one of the few, possibly the only, American cities with any sort of authentic culture.

I grew up in Connecticut and I wish I didn't waste 17 years there. I've spent plenty of time in NYC and Boston. I think Boston sucks, NYC is too much and I'm cool with just visiting every once in a while. San Fran, Portland and Seattle are the only major American cities I've never been too but I don't think they could ever be the same as NOLA.

Only places I could possibly see my self being happy in other than NOLA is Kaua'i and maybe Austin. I like Chicago and Minneapolis but I hate the cold.

I have a house in Charleston, SC. It's cool but its like an old waspy persons version of NOLA. There's just something about it that I wouldn't be happy with if I had to live there full time.

i can strongly agree with all the bolded. my mom's family pretty much all live in New Orleans. i got to have seafood gumbo with my turkey for thanksgiving. another thing i would add about it, is of all the cities ive ever been to, New Orleans easily has the most integration between white culture and black culture, there's almost no social division between them and that's really saying something in a Deep South city.

thank you for saying Kaua'i. i would live alone and spend all my time outside in Hawaii. and probably not mind the isolation one bit.
12:09 AM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Keep wanting to visit NOLA because I'm certain I'd fall in love with it. But the weather might kill me. I can't stand the humidity here as it is, I feel like it'd be 10 times worse there.

Also, let me live in your Charleston house.

New Orleans has worse humidity than a lot of Florida does. it's just so swampy all around

Or move to Florida where even poor people like me live in beach cities. There are about 4 or 5 beaches within a 20 mile radius from me. 2 of them are about less than 5 miles away.

oh yeah especially if you don't live in one of the major cities. areas like Pensacola or Naples are perfect for having a beach lifestyle on a budget.
12:47 AM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Obviously different strokes for different folks but I couldn't believe Baltimore would be included on this list. I've lived here (Ridgely's Delight) for 4 years and can't wait to get out. The constant threat of being mugged is enough to keep you away from the city. Please, I implore you, follow the Baltimore Police twitter handle. I like to play this game called, "How Close Is the Murder to my House."

it depends on the neighborhood. the downtown area outside the major touristy streets is sketchy late at night just because desperate homeless people live there. i walk around my neighborhood at 1 AM from bars all the time and i see more cops than shady people. when i look at crime maps the only crime that ever regularly happens in Mt. Vernon is larceny from vehicle, just don't leave valuables in your car and you're fine.

Quote:
Are there some highlights to the city? Sure, but comparing it to other cities I've visited for extended periods of time (Boston, NYC, Atlanta, New Orleans, San Diego, DC, LA, Seattle -- sick brag) is funny to me. I've had my fair share of good times at Camden Yards, Fells, Canton, Fed Hill, and Mt. Vernon, but they don't match up with the hotspots of other cities. I know money plays a huge factor for you, but the other aspects you mentioned are a little exaggerated, and those pictures are super deceiving.

i actually thought i couldn't find enough pictures of how many fancy old buildings are all around in Mt. Vernon. my opinion of Baltimore may not be quite as high if i got to spend extended time in all those cities. but i really like that i can get all kinds of city experiences in a small package here. i live walking or biking distance from literally everything i want to experience, other cities may have better transit, but several totally different and really cool parts of Baltimore are sandwiched together.

i can walk or bike to: several art museums, the baseball and football stadium, an aquarium, dive bars that play Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips and The Weakerthans and ambient music, probably like 10 sushi restaurants and 25 italian restaurants, a subculture book store (Red Emma's), my go-to record store (Soundgarden), an indie movie theatre (Charles Theatre), two arenas that host everything from The Globetrotters (First Mariner Arena) to Sesame Street (The Lyric), a couple head shops, all kinds of places playing local music nightly (open mics, bars, small venues, huge venues, no frills basements, even pizza places), a comedy club, 3 city parks, etc. and i can walk my suitcase 5 minutes to a light rail station that takes me to the airport.

most cities, you have to pay an enormous amount to live with such convenience, or otherwise you're spending more time and money on transit. in DC even when you take the, like, 6 dollar subway you still have to walk like fuck through miles of residential area to get where you want to be. here, it all feels like part of a resident's local domain and thats what kind of sets this city apart for me. it's nice living somewhere you get all that in a 2 mile radius, and even if you decide to drive if you take the right streets (for me it's Calvert going north, St. Paul going south) you hit all green lights and cross the downtown area in less than 10 minutes.

Quote:
Hoping that my trip next week to Breckenridge/Denver will supplant Seattle as my favorite city (Vancouver is my all-time favorite).

i do want to live near Seattle and visit Denver extremely badly.
01:07 AM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
It is my goal to someday visit the Portlands on both coasts. I like the Oregon/Washington region and New England region a lot.

I would've probably said in the past 2 years that NYC is one of the greatest but it's really killing me these days. It's fun for short terms visits (like a month) or when you're not working though.

yeah? why's that?
01:25 AM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
You should be hired at the universities to show prospective students around. You're doing a phenomenal job and making me find a little more room for Baltimore in my callous heart.

Seeing Ty Segall and Mikal Cronin at the Golden West Cafe is just one more highlight for me. If you ever play any shows, let me know and I'd love to support. Knowing how Smalltimore is, we've probably met at some point before. I used to go to Brewer's and Dionysus quite often.

Golden West is great. Ottobar is probably my favorite venue in the city, i love that balcony that actually extends to the side of the stage and i love how it's split level so you can chill at the bar and see over the crowd, i just wish it wasn't dominated by pop-punk shows. Brewer's Art is an excellent hang out spot and i love their in-house brews, especially that Sun Roi. best 10% ABV beer i ever drink.

for live music and cheap beer, check out the Bell Foundry. it's a completely no frills basement of a closed down tire shop, so its hard to find, but look them up on facebook, they get all kinds of bands (last show i went to was a louder version of 60s garage rock, a crust punk band, and this insanely good At The Drive-In style prog band) and it's all DIY. like 80 people showed up, there was plenty of energy and plenty of people just chilling, and they had a cooler full of Boh and PBR they were selling for a dollar a can, plus a stout some dude brewed himself at 3 bucks a pint.

Dionysus is my favorite neighborhood bar, i got drunk as shit off of free shots and 2 dollar beers, chilling in one of the leather couches, watching the Ravens and Redskins Sunday. i go there on Tuesdays all the time to take advantage of 45 cent wings and shoot the shit about music with the bartender. and since you mention it, myself and the bassist are performing there on the 25th @ 9 PM. gonna be our first time really showcasing songs from our upcoming album.

I'm also playing tonight at 7 PM at Two Boots Pizza, where Maryland Ave meets Mt. Royal Ave so like the northern tip of Mt. Vernon. it's more of a background music thing, they don't have a sound system, but there's always at least a couple people who stick around after they're done with their pizza to listen. I'd love it you came and maybe brought a friend or two.

Quote:
Remember -- La Trinacria. Urbanspoon it, especially if you like wine for cheap, not cheap wine.

yep this sounds like me. i'll check it out.
11:18 AM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
I'd much rather live in a smaller city like Princeton thats an easy commute to larger cities like NYC or Philli. I work there now and would love to move there some day

Princeton is literally the only part of NJ i've been to that i like. such a beautiful suburb sandwiched between ugly highways, and if you live in the Boro you can get anywhere by walking. I have an aunt and uncle that are both lawyers that are lucky enough to afford to live there. and it really is directly in the middle of NYC and Philly, can't beat that convenience.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos