I mean, I'm biased, and can give you more specific examples if need be, but here's just a quick little blurb:
- It's one of the quickest growing media hubs in the country. Local music, film and TV productions, stage plays, the amount of all of these are growing at an astronomical rate. There's a large amount of venues of all sizes that are very respectable, the tax credits given make it sensible to shoot films and shows here, and we're second only to Broadway as far as revenue from stage productions. Also, our comedy club is a top 5 club in the country.
- The bar scene is great, because it's very compartmentalized. If you're a college student, you go to Dinkytown, which is where the college bars are. Downtown MPLS is the club scene. Uptown MPLS is, for lack of a better word, where the 'hip' bars are (no idea how else to phrase it, they're basically the coolest bars in the city). There's also a few stretches of town where dive bars are most prevalent. If you don't want to feel out of your element, you don't have to. It's easy to find a place that's 'your place' if that makes any sense.
- The public transit system is one of the top 5 in the country. A continually expanding lightrail system, an immensely comprehensive bus system that covers just about every suburb in any direction, and bike rental services make it so easy to get around if you don't own a car. I think Minneapolis averages the most cyclists per day in the country. Not sure what that's based off of though.
- It's a large, large city that doesn't feel overwhelming. It doesn't have a 'small town feel,' but it doesn't scare the shit out of you upon arrival like your Chicagos and NYCs.
- Our local breweries will blow your mind.
- I don't really know how to go in depth with this (seeing as I'm not a super picky or predictable eater), but there's so many amazing places to eat. This isn't really a selling point, though, because all cities kind of have this.
- For the most part, people here are really, really nice. That goes a long way.