Username
Password

02:12 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
I mean, I'm biased, and can give you more specific examples if need be, but here's just a quick little blurb:

- It's one of the quickest growing media hubs in the country. Local music, film and TV productions, stage plays, the amount of all of these are growing at an astronomical rate. There's a large amount of venues of all sizes that are very respectable, the tax credits given make it sensible to shoot films and shows here, and we're second only to Broadway as far as revenue from stage productions. Also, our comedy club is a top 5 club in the country.

- The bar scene is great, because it's very compartmentalized. If you're a college student, you go to Dinkytown, which is where the college bars are. Downtown MPLS is the club scene. Uptown MPLS is, for lack of a better word, where the 'hip' bars are (no idea how else to phrase it, they're basically the coolest bars in the city). There's also a few stretches of town where dive bars are most prevalent. If you don't want to feel out of your element, you don't have to. It's easy to find a place that's 'your place' if that makes any sense.

- The public transit system is one of the top 5 in the country. A continually expanding lightrail system, an immensely comprehensive bus system that covers just about every suburb in any direction, and bike rental services make it so easy to get around if you don't own a car. I think Minneapolis averages the most cyclists per day in the country. Not sure what that's based off of though.

- It's a large, large city that doesn't feel overwhelming. It doesn't have a 'small town feel,' but it doesn't scare the shit out of you upon arrival like your Chicagos and NYCs.

- Our local breweries will blow your mind.

- I don't really know how to go in depth with this (seeing as I'm not a super picky or predictable eater), but there's so many amazing places to eat. This isn't really a selling point, though, because all cities kind of have this.

- For the most part, people here are really, really nice. That goes a long way.

...what Cody said.
02:13 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
BroekHosen
In my dreams we drift away
S. Carolina
Female - 25 Years Old
Baltimore was pretty dope
02:14 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
NYC really isn't so great

There are tremendous ups and downs to NYC. The obvious downs being all the fucking people and traffic. But those are outweighed by just about everything else the city has to offer.
02:15 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old

Ha, I actually didn't think so that much. But I only spent a few days there. It was just kind of "dirty" to me.

BUT I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten in Baltimore, so there's that!
02:20 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
BroekHosen
S. Carolina
Female - 25 Years Old
Ha, I actually didn't think so that much. But I only spent a few days there. It was just kind of "dirty" to me.

BUT I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten in Baltimore, so there's that!

I really loved it for whatever reason. Also enjoyed the Bay Area in CA so maybe it has something to do with being around the water.
02:29 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
Connecticut
Male - 16 Years Old
NYC is the best.
Philly, Portland, Northampton, and Chicago are awesome too.

Hartford is lacking, Boston is cool.
02:46 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
I really loved it for whatever reason. Also enjoyed the Bay Area in CA so maybe it has something to do with being around the water.
I love bay areas too. That's why I dropped a San Diego pic!
03:03 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
dunkinsdonut
MD
Male - 23 Years Old

Good potato weggies any way
03:07 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 23 Years Old
Denver was the coolest city i've been to thus far. Awesome place, loved every minute of it.
03:10 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
BroekHosen
S. Carolina
Female - 25 Years Old
Asheville gets an honorable mention as well
03:34 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Paul Tao
Los Angeles, CA
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
LA, duh.

Pros
* Extremely diverse city. There's a neighborhood for almost every ethnicity, every demographic you could possibly think of.
* Very close to beach, mountains, forests, city, desert, etc. A lot of variety.
* Pretty much every band who has ever toured will always hit LA.
* A lot of good looking people
* The weather is almost always amazing
* Public transit system is getting much better here and gets a worse rep than it deserves.
* The food is incredible and diverse. Some of the best Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, vegetarian, whatever you want.
* You can find any kind of entertainment you'd want - shows, clubs, dive bars, speakeasies, fancy ass restaurants, raves, beach bonfires, camping, ridiculous movie theaters, etc.

Cons
* Traffic, but it's not like other cities don't have traffic either.
* Real estate is expensive relative to a lot of cities (but, to be fair, is on par with most of the other top large cities like NYC, SF, etc)
03:37 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
NYC is the best.
Philly, Portland, Northampton, and Chicago are awesome too.

Hartford is lacking, Boston is cool.

There is literally no reason to go to Hartford, outside of like the Children's Science Museum.
03:55 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
Lemont/Chicago
Male - 21 Years Old
I love Chicago but I wouldn't mind venturing elsewhere.
04:04 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
LA seems too large and spread out. Like that episode of Portlandia where they go back to LA and try to walk everywhere. That's what I love about Portland, the only transportation I really needed were my feet.
04:17 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Protested Hero
Jon
Massachusetts
Male - 25 Years Old
Boston!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music