Password

04:25 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
I mean, I'm biased, and can give you more specific examples if need be, but here's just a quick little blurb:

- It's one of the quickest growing media hubs in the country. Local music, film and TV productions, stage plays, the amount of all of these are growing at an astronomical rate. There's a large amount of venues of all sizes that are very respectable, the tax credits given make it sensible to shoot films and shows here, and we're second only to Broadway as far as revenue from stage productions. Also, our comedy club is a top 5 club in the country.

- The bar scene is great, because it's very compartmentalized. If you're a college student, you go to Dinkytown, which is where the college bars are. Downtown MPLS is the club scene. Uptown MPLS is, for lack of a better word, where the 'hip' bars are (no idea how else to phrase it, they're basically the coolest bars in the city). There's also a few stretches of town where dive bars are most prevalent. If you don't want to feel out of your element, you don't have to. It's easy to find a place that's 'your place' if that makes any sense.

- The public transit system is one of the top 5 in the country. A continually expanding lightrail system, an immensely comprehensive bus system that covers just about every suburb in any direction, and bike rental services make it so easy to get around if you don't own a car. I think Minneapolis averages the most cyclists per day in the country. Not sure what that's based off of though.

- It's a large, large city that doesn't feel overwhelming. It doesn't have a 'small town feel,' but it doesn't scare the shit out of you upon arrival like your Chicagos and NYCs.

- Our local breweries will blow your mind.

- I don't really know how to go in depth with this (seeing as I'm not a super picky or predictable eater), but there's so many amazing places to eat. This isn't really a selling point, though, because all cities kind of have this.

- For the most part, people here are really, really nice. That goes a long way.

a lot of these things sound exactly like Baltimore, actually. i like cities that feel more local than humungous, i've come to realize.

thanks for the input!
04:25 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
spiffa0
I am the Third Revelation
Westmont, NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
Pittsburgh is my favorite city in the US.

04:33 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Baltimore was pretty dope

Ha, I actually didn't think so that much. But I only spent a few days there. It was just kind of "dirty" to me.

BUT I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten in Baltimore, so there's that!

oh yeah i have had several of those since moving here. so many just top quality seafood restaurants, and this ranges from upscale surf and turf places, to sushi places, to the famous Maryland crab shacks -- and Eat Bertha's Mussels prepares mussels in like 25 different ways.

also i do this thing with my girlfriend where we try to go to a new italian restaurant in Little Italy every time she visits. weve been to 6 and havent even scratched the surface, every one was amazing. no interest in going to Olive Garden ever again

non-"dirty" areas: Federal Hill, Mount Vernon (my neighborhood), most of Fells Point, the main strip of the Inner Harbor (Pratt St.) just for future reference.
04:34 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
shit stroll
Atlanta
Male - 25 Years Old
Atlanta

LA is the worst city ever. What a dump.
04:36 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
this is what i look at when i walk outside

parts of my area remind me of European cities, especially where there's cobblestone streets. lots of really historic apartment buildings that used to be mansions of Maryland's wealthy in the 1800s

here's the local monument lit up at night

and pretty much a view of the whole neighborhood during the day

panorama of downtown from across the harbor. that crazy looking building on the right with an indoor bridge that crosses the water is the National Aquarium, probably the best animal exhibit ive ever been to. right behind it is an old power plant that was converted into Hard Rock and ESPN cafe's, the biggest barnes & noble i've ever seen, and the premier music venue in town called "Rams Head Live". to the left of the tallest building is a Landing where several of those great restaurants are located

in conclusion. parts of Baltimore are beautiful.
04:36 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Paul Tao
Los Angeles, CA
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
Atlanta

LA is the worst city ever. What a dump.
Good generalization

(I also lived in Atlanta for 10 years)
04:37 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old

oh yeah i have had several of those since moving here. so many just top quality seafood restaurants, and i do this thing with my girlfriend where we try to go to a new italian restaurant in Little Italy every time she visits. weve been to 6 and havent even scratched the surface, every one was amazing

non-"dirty" areas: Federal Hill, Mount Vernon (my neighborhood), most of Fells Point, the main strip of the Inner Harbor (Pratt St.) just for future reference.

I was staying with my friends who work at Under Armour so we were right by the company campus, whichever hood that is in.

Have you been to the Woodberry Kitchen?
04:45 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Lueda Alia
London, ON
Female - 27 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm partial to the Midwest:

Chicago
Minneapolis
Boston
Austin
San Francisco
04:49 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
San Diego
04:51 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
Connecticut
Male - 17 Years Old
All these pictures are making me want to have a cross country road trip.
04:51 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
I have lived in Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Houston, and now Los Angeles. I love the cleanliness of downtown Indy but it's super boring, Milwaukee's Third Ward area is amazing but the rest of the city is gross. Houston is way too spread out as is LA but I prefer LA, at least where I live (Los Feliz/Silverlake).

I love visiting Chicago, Philadelphia, and Austin. But the city I love the most and always have fun in is New Orleans. Fucking love it.
04:52 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
never been to NYC, Seattle or Portland, but those are areas I want to eventually live in at some point in my life.
04:52 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
I was staying with my friends who work at Under Armour so we were right by the company campus, whichever hood that is in.

Have you been to the Woodberry Kitchen?

ah yeah that's Locust Point, you were in one of the industrial/seaport districts of town, that's why. haha. Baltimore is historically (well, it still is) a major port city so there are some pretty polluted and ugly parts of course.

i have not been to that restaurant yet. if i had the money i'd be eating out every night of the week here, believe me. but theres still so many places i havent gone
04:54 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
never been to NYC, Seattle or Portland, but those are areas I want to eventually live in at some point in my life.

NYC was too hectic for me, Seattle rained too much for me and Portland was too "hipster" for me...but I loved visiting all 3 cities haha
04:55 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
ah yeah that's Locust Point, you were in one of the industrial/seaport districts of town, that's why. haha. Baltimore is historically (well, it still is) a major port city so there are some pretty polluted and ugly parts of course.

i have not been to that restaurant yet. if i had the money i'd be eating out every night of the week here, believe me. but theres still so many places i havent gone

If you ever go there, GET THE PUDDING FOR DESSERT.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos