Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts
05:58 PM on 01/09/13
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
He should be thrown in jail for releasing terrible music.
07:25 PM on 01/09/13
Gaugzilla
User Info.

Please. He is absolutely everything that's wrong with hip-hop and makes terrible trap music that represents the worst of a city that's suffering pretty hard right now.
08:38 PM on 01/09/13
Gaugzilla
User Info.
there's nothing wrong with hip-hop. if you think otherwise you are senile and jaded.

No, man. I love hip-hop. But I have friends in Chicago that have deal with the murders that go on there and garbage like this that supports the kind of stuff is something I won't listen to or support. It's counterproductive and stupid. There's no value in it
07:32 AM on 01/10/13
Gaugzilla
User Info.
You haven't addressed my.post from earlier. He's a product of his environment. His representation of the way Chicago has degenerated is to me inherently valuable. On top of that, why does art need "value"? What does that even mean?
So we should take his idiotic music as something of value because "Hate Being Sober" and "I Don't Like" are not terrible rap songs, but rather art pieces showing what the real Chicago is like? Come on.

I stand by my opinion that his music has no value. It's music that glorifies the absolute worst things plaguing the Chicago area and only goes to reinforce that killing is perfectly fine, can get you a record deal and millions of Youtube views. It reminds me of when Kendrick Lamar was asked what he was writing when he was 16 and he said it was a bunch of terrible murder music. That's what this is, minus any insight, intellect or wit.
09:52 AM on 01/10/13
Gaugzilla
User Info.
You're acting like it's his fault. He's an 18 year old who grew up in one of the worst areas of the country.

So have a countless number of artists who have made great music out of terrible circumstances, Kendrick Lamar included.

Quote:
Your assertion that those songs are "Terrible" is subjective, and would be argued by many.

Well yea, it's my opinion.

Quote:
It's probably useless to do so, but my point is that you seem to think that in order to be valuable, music must be some kind of critique or commentary if it arises from a pit like the area of Chicago that Keef is from. He's an victim - his music is, whether you like the way it sounds or not, the music of a culture.

It doesn't have to have a critique or commentary, but it has to say something other than "I kill people because it's cool," which is what his does. He's not a victim, he's the perpetrator. He laughs off other people's deaths and wishes more upon others. He has family in better places of Chicago and Illinois he can go to, but resolves to stay where he's at because of his gang affiliation. He's not a victim, a victim is someone wanting to get out that can't.

Quote:
To dismiss it out of hand because it doesn't play into your expectations and standards is ludicrous. If anything, the vapidity and violence of the music should be of intense interest to someone who's concerned about the deteriorating state of the city as it's a pretty alarming statement from a young kid.

Even by my sometimes low standard for hip-hop, it's terrible. You're right, though - it's a pretty alarming statement from someone so young. I'll give you that. But it's one that glorifies everything that he does and others now look up to.

Quote:
Insight, intellect or wit - the kid is 18. Barely older than Kendrick was in that statement. Locking him up because his music is "terrible" to you will prevent him from even having the opportunity to grow. It might seem unlikely, but maybe Chief Keef will mature and become the greatest voice for reform in Chicago.

I was joking that he should be locked up for making terrible music. But if he's committing crimes - lock him up or get him into a reform program. I would love to see him grow and say that this garbage juice he calls music was terrible. But right now, he's another gangbanger with nothing to offer, musically. He is part of a growing cancer on the city of Chicago.

Quote:
If you're so desperate to have value from your music, the value of this music can be as a tool to show people how deplorable Chicago's violence problem is.

True. But it doesn't make it good or even tolerable.
11:21 AM on 01/10/13
Gaugzilla
User Info.
What's "wrong with hip hop" is people like you declaring what is and isn't the definitive form of the genre. Keef makes some bangers and people enjoy them. Go listen to MF Doom if you want that lyrical shit. There's room for everyone.

Nah, you got it wrong. I said he's what's wrong with hip-hop. If I were really being blind, I'd say something stupid like "he's not hip-hop." I think he makes terrible music and is a boring, uncreative, uninspired rapper. People can enjoy him, I won't take that away from them. But I believe he's truly awful.
12:34 PM on 01/10/13
Gaugzilla
User Info.
He's a victim of socialization. Which usually means you're not even aware of the fact that you've been socialized to believe something, especially not in low-education areas.

If you really care about the problems in Chicago, you'd pity him, not direct anger at him. Direct that at the institutions and systems which have taken a kid and made him into something most of us find abhorrent. The blame lies there, not at the feet of someone who had no choice in the matter. He was a minor up until this year, meaning he really had no control over where he lived.

I pity his circumstances and that instead of rising above them, he has decided to glorify them. Supporting his music is a way of saying that you support what he does and what he raps about, as well as the gangs that have molded him into who he is.

I know people like Chief Keef. I covered courts for two years and saw many people like him. Just yesterday, we had a jury trial where a guy killed another drug dealer in cold blood. He got a recommended sentence of 105 years and publicly said he'd be out in three or four and chalked the whole sentence up to 'his haters.' He expressed no remorse. I feel sorry that he's so numb-skulled and devoid of emotion that he can't see killing someone as something serious. I really do. But fuck that guy. His surroundings certainly made him that way, but if you can't take that seriously - I don't even know.
04:56 PM on 01/10/13
Gaugzilla
User Info.
How can I take anything you say at face value when you literally had the lack of judgement to criticize I Don't Like? You can't argue about a song that is objectively and intrinsically a masterpiece.

Hahaha. That's a joke, right?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version