AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Trench - 01.10.13

Trench - 01.10.13

Interviewed by
Trench - 01.10.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Trench

http://www.facebook.com/trench613
http://trench613.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?

Our singer Louis basically came up with a bunch of names and between the top few choices this was the one we all agreed on. We actually almost called ourselves Trudge at one point.

2. How did this band get started?

Well, Louis, Tyler and I (Devon) had been friends for about a year and a half at that point and always talked about starting a band and we decided one day to just jam with one guitar, vocals and drums and see what came out. We originally wanted to sound like a mix of Dillinger Escape plan and BTBAM but once we got Ian onboard after about two months we scrapped everything we had written and headed for a different direction. We had written four songs without a bassist and then we uploaded a really low quality video of a song and I ran into Waylon at a house party and he told me he really wanted to be a part of it and that was that. We practiced a few times, recorded an EP and played our first show.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We're sort of all over the board with influences but we all meet up on some important ones when it comes to writing. Converge are one of the biggest bands for us. Loma Prieta, Trash Talk, Trap Them, Birds in Row, Touche Amore are probably our biggest influences collectively

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I think if we had the chance to tour with any of the bands above that would be an awesome time. Our Kitchener friends in Exalt would be an awesome time as well, I think also touring with a band in a completely different genre of music would be a really interesting experience as well, it would be fun to play to a different type of crowd.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

We always seem to end up in a Wendys and playing a fun game of sandwich punch but other than that Timmies is almost mandatory and Ian is really into Chili at all times.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We feel that our music can bring out any type of energy in people, we like to see people having a good time, having fun and enjoying yourself is what we think our music can bring to you.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Louis would switch with CM Punk, Tyler would be Jose Bautista, Waylon would be Marshawn Lynch, Ian would be Stone Cold Steve Austin, and I (Devon) would be Patrick Kane.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Anyone who gave us a chance, every promoter, friend, random people who watched us, Based god, our friends in local bands, Shawn Scallen, Chris Feeney, I would thank my parents for putting up with us jamming in their basement and always giving us snacks and drinks.

9. Memorable tour experience?

Our first out of town show was in Stouffville with Altona, Headcheck, Constraints and Uplift in February and we were making the five-hour drive in our Honda Civic full of our gear and five people in a horrible blizzard. On the Transcanada highway our tire came loose and started shaking the whole care as we were going down a massive hill. We rolled into a gas station and a stranger ended up having the exact tools we needed to fix the tire and we made our way to the show. It was the most memorable but also the scariest moment that has happened to us as a band.

10. What does AP.net mean to you?

Well to me, AP was the first music site I ever went on. I was reading through Fall Out Boy's From Under the Cork Tree CD booklet and it gave thanks to the website and I ended up making an account and stayed on the site since then.

11. What is your favorite song to play?

As a band it's probably Bullshit, but personally its Bullshit or From the Horses Mouth.

12. What music reminds you of your childhood?

The first CD I ever owned was a Pizza Pizza CD that came with a pizza. It had Blink 182, Usher, Backstreet Boys, etc. I remember sitting in my couch fort and listening to that on my CD player and just being blown away at my first music experience. If not that, it is definitely Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory.

13. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Teleportation for sure! It would make getting places a lot easier.

14. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I dont know much about everyone else's preshow rituals. They usually seem to just hang around and get food. I, myself, like to not eat at least two or three hours before we play (usually after) and I usually stretch a lot before to get limber and prevent cramping or any injuries.

15. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

If it wasn't apparent Tyler and me (Devon) are brothers, Ian, Waylon and I live together with Nat from Old Rules, and me and Louis met on Tumblr.

16. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I myself never listen to the radio unless it comes on in someone else's car. I just find it has too many commercials that distract from the music and doesn't hold my interest long enough to stick around. That being said, Bob FM is pretty sweet around here, as well as any college or university radio's. I think we could be on a college radio and have some success! We went on a radio show CHUO with our friend Tabitha and we got to hear ourselves on the Metal station and it seemed to fit in well there.

17. What do you like to do in your spare time?

We all kind of do our own thing. Video games, movies, TV. we don't do anything crazy interesting in our down time!

18. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Louis does a wicked Robert De Niro impression.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests