Password

Album Review

Headlights - Some Racing, Some Stopping Album Cover

Headlights - Some Racing, Some Stopping

Reviewed by
Headlights - Some Racing, Some Stopping
Record Label: Polyvinyl Records
Release Date: February 19, 2008
I really thought Headlights would “blow up” in 2006 after their release of their first full length on Polyvinyl, Kill Them With Kindness. Kill Them With Kindness has a wistful indie feel to it that dabbles in the pop realm led by an ultra catchy jingle in the minor blogosphere hit, “TV.” Some could argue they’ve already blown up in certain circles. I know the Youaintnopicasso guy absolutely loves them, and of course the compassed logo that appears on their CD jacket is good for at least a track review over at Pitchfork. Two years past that effort comes the decidedly sweeter Some Racing, Some Stopping.

Like Kill Them With Kindness, Some Racing, Some Stopping features a runaway single in the surefire indie wedding favorite “Cherry Tulips.” The train-like pacing combined with Erin Fein’s dreamy soprano leading and Tristan Wraight’s soft-speak echoing in the background makes it perfect for reception dancing. I underestimated Wraight last time out as being merely an above average backup to Fein, but his boyish tone does so much more this time out. He leads on the acoustic guitar-driven romp “Catch Them All” and the clearly more depressing hush of “January.”

One marked difference from past efforts is the album’s accessibility on the whole. Gone are the dreary interludes and drawn out compositions of Kill Them With Kindness. Yup, Fein and crew have almost fully outgrown their shoegazer roots and successfully bought a home in the pop neighborhood with Some Racing, Some Stopping. As dirty as the "p" word is, it's not always a bad thing.

All Killer, No Filler“Cherry Tulip,” “Market Girl”

You Missed My Inane ReferencesRilo Kiley, Ingrid Michaelson, Elliot Smith

www.myspace.com/headlights
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
09:45 AM on 03/04/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Its great to see you reviewing again Russ! Good review and it got me to finally check out this band and I like what I am hearing. I hope you continue to do some reviews every once in awhile!
11:17 AM on 03/04/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Russ is back!! Well, sort of.

Review more. We miss you.
11:54 AM on 03/04/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
if this new album was called Anxious Arms or The Gift Horse, I'd be very skeptical.

Man I miss russ reviews.

/fanboy
09:26 PM on 03/04/08
mutualaddiction
How am I not myself?
User Info.
Polyvinyl is one of my favorite indie's, I've been meaning to check this band out for a while.
06:40 PM on 03/05/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Nice review Russ
04:01 PM on 03/11/08
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Thanks, I'll be writing more shortly. I think I may have got my groove back.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos