AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Therefore I Am - Escape Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 10.89
Lyrics 10.07
Production 10.75
Creativity 10.14
Lasting Value 10.18
Reviewer Tilt 10.93
Average: 104%
Inside AP.net

Therefore I Am - Escape

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (03/02/08)
Therefore I AmEscape EP
Release Date: November 15, 2007
Record Label: Unsigned

In these times where people are inundated with bands peddling their music, trying to get people to check them out, a lot of us look for ways to subdivide these advances into more manageable magnitudes. Depending on who you talk to, there are a few common ways of doing this – Band X is on such-and-such label, Band Y opened up for so-and-so on tour, and a few others. Another such method has actually worked quite well for yours truly, though: what producer a band works with. My infatuation with everything touched by Ed Rose got me into The Casket Lottery and The Kidcrash, following Matt Squire in his early days introduced me to Downtown Singapore, Brian McTernan with The Graduate, et cetera. And now, I think I can add Mike Poorman to that list of producers I will just trust by association. If his tenure in Hot Rod Circuit weren’t enough, he has since manned the board for efforts from Fly Upright Kite, The Coming Weak, Retrosleeper, and now, the blistering rock goodness that is Therefore I Am.

Sounding like a mix of modern rock’s better elements, Therefore I Am certainly waste no time making an impression. Their EP, Escape, crashes out of the gate with an urgency and passion all too uncommon these days. Frontman Alex Correia’s and guitarist Brian Marquis’ rough-around-the-edges deliveries are the perfect complement to the rest of the band’s driving riffs, well-executed bass lines, and stellar drumming. The end result is an air guitar, sing at the top of your lungs, drum on the steering wheel type of soundtrack. In short, the EP rocks. Hard. And while this is certainly true, it is some of the more subtle elements that make Escape just as noteworthy.

As mentioned, when Therefore I Am want to rock, they have absolutely no problem in achieving said goal. Whether it be in the soaring chorus of “The Publicist,” the balls-out punk energy of “You and No Other,” or the huge riffs of “Farewell, Via Park” and “I Get Nervous In Cars,” the results are all the same – an extremely gratifying adrenaline rush. But even in the midst of all their bombast, Therefore I Am still manages to apply dashes of restraint in just the right amounts. In the unexpectedly poignant “45 Miles” or the eerily ambient “Traces” it is apparent that the band is not just linear, but rather they branch out quite bravely within their songs and styles.

In addition to the sounds themselves, Therefore I Am manages to impress with some smatterings of lyrical flourish as well. For example, the haunting segue of “Traces” recites:
"My will is an ambulance on emergency call."
All I want to do is leave this little city thats closing on me.
I shift left, I shift right and in the restless night
I lay like a leopard, left to rot, knowing I will never shed these spots.

Not bad at all for a post-hardcore group of youngsters from Boston. Overall, the lyrics range from decent to impressive across the EP, with some moments coming across as slightly generic, while others are definitely quote-worthy.

In the end, Therefore I Am’s Escape EP is one hell of an entrance onto the national scene, made all the more impressive that a band like this could be unsigned. Whether they are rocking out in pure moshing glory, or waxing sensitive on wistful, pensive numbers, the band has a strong sound that could easily resonate with a large set of listeners in the scene. As icing on the cake here, Poorman’s production on Escape is top notch, and should lead many east-coast bands to look him up, begging for some studio time. If other end products come out sounding as good as this, he should be a very busy man in the coming months.

Recommended if you like: Thrice, The Receiving End of Sirens, Autopilot Off, Saosin, Letter Kills

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45
05:15 AM on 03/03/08
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
a really good ep... people should check it out. i also can't believe that they're still unsigned
07:24 AM on 03/03/08
Bongi5788
User Info.
therefore i am is great....everyone check out my friends The Homefront...they are about to be recording with Poorman
07:29 AM on 03/03/08
southparktvma
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Their first two demos were amazing.
07:35 AM on 03/03/08
wroteurname
Registered Loser
User Info.
Good stuff, i wonder if Brandon will rejoin now that he left Vanna.
07:42 AM on 03/03/08
AbeLurkin
this site lowered my GPA
User Info.

this has been mentioned. he will not.
07:46 AM on 03/03/08
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
The vocals remind me of Park a bit. I bought this EP a couple days ago. Can't wait to get it in the mail.
07:58 AM on 03/03/08
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
Great review. I remember ordering this EP ages ago, still haven't received it though.
08:01 AM on 03/03/08
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Great band, awesome release
08:23 AM on 03/03/08
joeclayy
Official Beer Taster
User Info.

did you think of this question before you posted and asked it?
next time do that.
08:58 AM on 03/03/08
myenqvist
AlisoN
User Info.
ah yes, good to see this band getting good reviews (not that i expected them to get bad ones). i've liked this band ever since i heard Farewell Via Park for the first time.
09:00 AM on 03/03/08
Otakoust
User Info.
This band is long overdue for some label attention. Or maybe they are just smart and aren't trying to sign to the first thing that comes along. Great band and I'm looking forward to whats next for them.
09:21 AM on 03/03/08
Danny Schme
Scattered ashes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
support
09:41 AM on 03/03/08
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
I'll have to check them out now.
10:19 AM on 03/03/08