AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Red Alert, The - Extended Play Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Red Alert, The - Extended Play

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (03/05/08)
The Red Alert - Extended Play
Record Label: None
Release Date: March 2007

Oklahoma rock trio The Red Alert straddle the line between classic and new rock with a keen perception about what joins the two together. The Red Alert go back to rock’s basics, which once canvassed the music of Gram Parsons and Stealers Wheel. Though the members are probably too young to recall Parsons' or Stealers' music, they propel energetic rock frequencies that fit in the same ilk as these artists, only they touch it up with modern perceptions. The Red Alert’s Hank Hanewinkel III (guitarist/singer/songwriter) and his little sister Christy Hanewinkel (drummer/singer/songwriter) cite The White Stripes as a big musical influence. With their Uncle Phil Hanewinkel playing bass and their dad Hank-Charles stationed in the producer’s chair, The Red Alert released an EP appropriately titled Extended Play. Recorded at Valcour Sound, their dad’s recording studio, The Red Alert have steadily developed their chops and earned their keep. Extended Play is the product of their hard work and the passion that drives them.

Tracks like “The Only One” and “Meet Me at My Place” have a visceral connection to classic rock with movements that rise and fall guided by a keen perception about where to place the cuts in the dynamics. The sonic spills are melodically fretted and stoked with arousing vibes pulped by rhythmic beats that stamp phat hoof prints. The result is a great sonic ride that straps you in and leaves you feeling wind-swept afterwards. Christy sings on “Only Want Love” with a register liken to Charlotte Church’s zephyrs while exposing burgeoning emotions, “Hold onto me / Honestly, I’m not pretending / Oh, don’t you see / This could be some never ending / I’m chasing, you’re running / I don’t ask much, I only want loving / I’m daydreaming.” Her vocals encrust the melodies differently from Hank’s rustic registers. Christy cradles the words in the bosom of her voicing, while Hank is more inclined to punctuate the lyrics, pressing harder on some words. His vocals on “Take Your Heart” add a punch to the beats, while Christy’s gentle register supplies a phosphorous lighting through “Feather on the Wind.” The final track “Pull Off Your Vein” has a punk rock pitch in the guitar plexus, which is corked by soft piano overtones creating a tight snuggling in the arsenal of melodic ammunitions.

Extended Play is one of those discs that makes you say, “What is there not to like about it?” The Hanewinkel's put classic and new rock together using executive handling that is so beyond Hank and Christy’s ages. The Red Alert ranked top honors in the national competition of the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus’ Battle of the Bands in 2006. Though The Red Alert are a local hit in Tulsa, Oklahoma, they are as ready as ever to be a hit any place where fans adore rock music, and the Hanewinkel’s definitely adore the genre from its past to its present state.

myspace.com/theredalert

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
12:41 AM on 08/09/08
spotcollins
Highway Robbery
User Info.
That really felt more like a band bio than a record review...
07:41 AM on 08/09/08
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
appealing.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music