AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Rescuer- With Time Comes the Comfort Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Rescuer- With Time Comes the Comfort

Reviewed by: HanLuk (01/17/13)
Rescuer - With Time Comes the Comfort
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: January 15th 2013

The past few years have been very busy for Rise Records. There's been controversy, sudden breakups, and sudden signings. None may be more sudden than the signing of Tampa hardcore band Rescuer. After teasing us with the release of two singles from their new album With Time Comes the Comfort in 2012, many of us were left highly anticipated. Its quite clear that Rise have shifted their interests, and have found their inner punk, with the signings of bands such as Make Do and Mend, Hot Water Music, Bouncing Souls etc. Rescuer can be compared better to the likes of Touche Amore, and former Rise group Continuance. Many were skeptical over Rise's sudden fondness of this "wave" movement. Were they taking a chance with Rescuer? Perhaps. However, let me tell you this, Rise has found a gem in Rescuer, and their debut LP With Time Comes the Comfort, is stunning.

With Time Comes the Comfort
is passionate hardcore at its finest. This record finds a near perfect balance between emotionally gripping and thrusting, through gritty style vocals, fast paced drums, and melodic yet heavily engaging riffs. It was apparent that with the release of singles "Shame" and "Birds of Prey" that Rescuer weren't fooling around. The former contains a fantastic message and includes a great performance from vocalist JP Marra, while the latter follows the more traditional punk pattern, with storming guitars.

At first listen, many may be discomforted with the vocal style of JP Marra. Your typical "Risecore" fan will dismiss it instantly. On the contrary I find the vocals one of the most intriguing aspects of the record. They are extremely captivating, delivery wise the most. You can tell which parts of JP's lyrics really hit home to him the most, and that is always a breath of fresh air in such a heavy genre.

As the record continues, you are pulverized by emergent tracks such as "Settled Ground" with its frantic drums and "Bring Me Back" with these fantastic lyrics:

Home movies only do so much to show me who to be.
I'll dig through these memories,
But old man, I've got no way to let you live on through me.

It's clear that one of the main messages on this album is that you're youth will not last forever (highly covered in tracks such as the conveniently named "Faded Youth"). A heavily covered topic it may be, however hearing it with such anger, desperation and distraught from Rescuer really provide a fantastic listening experience. Well done Rescuer, you have our attention.

Choice Tracks: "Shame", "Birds of Prey", "Bring Me Back", "Locked Inside"

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
02:12 PM on 01/30/13
johnnyferris
5 LARGE PIZZAS
User Info.
Really enjoyed this album. I'm glad Rise picked them up.
02:24 PM on 04/13/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Overrated IMO, only gets a 6/10 in my book. I enjoy bands of a similar style but there really wasn't anything memorable or great about this. Production-wise it sounded akin to a demo and just had a lot of repetition.
11:46 PM on 04/15/13
johnnyferris
5 LARGE PIZZAS
User Info.
Overrated IMO, only gets a 6/10 in my book. I enjoy bands of a similar style but there really wasn't anything memorable or great about this. Production-wise it sounded akin to a demo and just had a lot of repetition.
I thought you were a fan of Chango?
09:39 AM on 04/16/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
I thought you were a fan of Chango?

I am but moreso of the stuff that Cameron Mizell works on. This was engineered by Jake Garland at Chango but mixed and mastered elsewhere by someone else which overall doesn't really sound like a Chango release IMO. It's not horrible sounding but it's not as impactful and smooth as I would like and comes across to me as a preproduction demo. I know that the "rough sound" can be something bands go for and it works out great (ie: The Chariot) but for this I think I would have enjoyed it more with more of a full sound.
10:14 AM on 04/16/13
johnnyferris
5 LARGE PIZZAS
User Info.
I am but moreso of the stuff that Cameron Mizell works on. This was engineered by Jake Garland at Chango but mixed and mastered elsewhere by someone else which overall doesn't really sound like a Chango release IMO. It's not horrible sounding but it's not as impactful and smooth as I would like and comes across to me as a preproduction demo. I know that the "rough sound" can be something bands go for and it works out great (ie: The Chariot) but for this I think I would have enjoyed it more with more of a full sound.
Hmm, I personally enjoy the rougher sound on this record. I love the passion in the singers vocals as well. To each his own.
10:37 AM on 04/16/13
WeltallAY
User Info.
Hmm, I personally enjoy the rougher sound on this record. I love the passion in the singers vocals as well. To each his own.

http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3125101

If you'd like to contribute from time to time
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums