AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Mp3 News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Mp3
Inside AP.net

How Beats by Dre Revolutionized The Headphone...

Posted by: Jack Appleby (01/18/13)
TIME Business & Money published an article on Beats by Dre and the "premium headphone" category they've inspired. The piece mentions some interesting statistics: Sales of $100+ premium headphones increased 73% in 2012, and premium headphones now make up 43% of all headphone sales (Beats account for 64% of that market). Are you using Beats, or any other premium headphones? Discuss in the replies.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 244
08:33 AM on 01/18/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know a lot of people question Beats as a product, but I'm actually pretty happy about the thinking they've inspired. 5 years ago, the most popular headphones were iPod earbuds, which people used to listen to awful 182kbps rips. Because of Beats, perception of acceptable audio quality has changed drastically, even if their product is overpriced.

TL;DR - Love the culture Beats inspired, though I prefer my own Sony MDR-7506's.
08:36 AM on 01/18/13
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
Could someone who knows what's up recommend a good pair of headphones? Right now all I have are those shitty iPod earbuds, and I'd love a good pair like the Beats...but not Beats.
08:36 AM on 01/18/13
Zakery
User Info.
beats are garbage in my opinion. unless you listen to exclusively rap. i dunno, the bass is so overdriven and i like a headphone that balances highs and lows a lot better. either way, i prefer grados

Edit:

Could someone who knows what's up recommend a good pair of headphones? Right now all I have are those shitty iPod earbuds, and I'd love a good pair like the Beats...but not Beats.

check out the grado SR 60s or SR 80s. They're much cheaper than beats but in my opinion, sound much better. Not great with sound leakage if you're in class or public or something, but phenomenal for home listening.
08:37 AM on 01/18/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Beats are horrible. Enough said. If you use them, you probably know nothing about headphones.
08:39 AM on 01/18/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I personally recommend anything from the Sony MDR series, with my favorite pair being the MDR-7506 (which retail between $80-120).

They sound fantastic. Pretty common to see them in studio videos as well - here's Dua from Bad Rabbits using them.

08:45 AM on 01/18/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Sennheiser HD-600s running through an ASUS Xonar Essence ST amp.

Dominates the shit out of any gimmick Beats garbage.
08:46 AM on 01/18/13
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
08:48 AM on 01/18/13
Snackbox
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sennheiser HD 588 pro if you want a really good pair. You know, you could just go to a hi-fi store and try some out and bring music player of choice and play some songs you like. That way you'll know if you'll enjoy them or not. I use Steelseries Siberia V.2 but it's just a gaming headset, not made for music.
08:48 AM on 01/18/13
B.Leibo
User Info.
'Sennheiser HD 25-1 II' are the best headphones I've ever owned, 10x better sounding and 50 bucks cheaper than Beats.
08:50 AM on 01/18/13
B.Leibo
User Info.
Sennheiser HD 588 pro if you want a really good pair. You know, you could just go to a hi-fi store and try some out and bring music player of choice and play some songs you like. That way you'll know if you'll enjoy them or not. I use Steelseries Siberia V.2 but it's just a gaming headset, not made for music.
Sennheiser's new line up is even better... they've greatly improved since the 588, and those were good to begin with.
08:51 AM on 01/18/13
ebushelm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thank you Dre Beats for being the new Ed Hardy shirts and making it easier for me to point out DBs
08:51 AM on 01/18/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sennheiser HD-600s running through an ASUS Xonar Essence ST amp.

Dominates the shit out of any gimmick Beats garbage.
What's the price range on that set up?
And how's that sound with Spotify?
08:52 AM on 01/18/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
With Beats, you're paying for the brand. They sound great, but you can get headphones that sound better for a third of the price.
08:53 AM on 01/18/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Thank you Dre Beats for being the new Ed Hardy shirts and making it easier for me to point out DBs
I wish I could like this 1000 times over.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests