Password

Album Review
Every Avenue - Shh, Just Go With It Album Cover

Every Avenue - Shh, Just Go With It

Reviewed by
Every Avenue - Shh, Just Go With It
Release Date: February 19, 2008
Record Label: Fearless Records

Most mainstream horror films thrive on cheap thrills, some sensationalism, and a defined lack of substance. Perhaps Michigan powerpoppers Every Avenue have watched a few too many horror flicks, because their full-length debut, Shh, Just Go With It, shares many of the same characteristics. The band released a 6-song EP produced by John Naclerio in 2007, and return early in '08 with their first full album for Fearless Records.

With the three-song teaser to open Shh, Just Go With It, Every Avenue actually will surprise many listeners. The nostalgic summer anthem, “Days of the Old” is slightly less contagious than the flu, and far more entertaining. For me, it evoked memories of Yellowcard's “Ocean Avenue” in the feeling it creates. The band relies on warbling pop-punk riffs we've heard before, but singer David Ryan's voice offers a slightly deeper take on what we expect. The vocals are prominent, but don't screech or otherwise detract from a great, albeit somewhat rehashed opener. “This One's a Cheap Shot” displays a thick powerpop sound that frequently roughhouses with the chorus. “Where Were You?” is a re-recorded song from the band's EP that will infiltrate your iPod with its infectious dance-pop sound. For such a pissed-off song, Every Avenue sure makes their anger go down smoothly with the listener. Expect a memorably catchy sing-along, despite the fact that it gets way too repetitive after a while.

Following an admirable start to the album, Every Avenue starts to head downhill. “Think of You Later (Empty Room)” dances somewhere in the mid-tempo range, displaying some interesting guitar riffs, but the chorus comes across too whiny and slow to remain overly relevant by the time you've finished the album. “A Story to Tell Your Friends” and “Boys Will Be Boys” fall somewhere slightly below their predecessor. David Ryan's singing will remind listeners a little of a more polished yet less rangy William Beckett, which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on your preference. Every Avenue manage to pick it up again with “Take a Step Back,” an upbeat pop song that again relies on the first three songs' tried and true formula (razor-sharp guitars and sugary choruses). The band takes a stab at the token piano ballad on "Between You and I," but it doesn't come out as anything spectacular, in part because of the programming that adds to it, and in fact provides annoying thumps that overlay the piano way too much in the mix in a song that already drags on too long. The album closes with the cheery “Chasing the Night,” one of the more upbeat and positive songs on the album, providing a crisp ending to an album that had plenty of ups and downs.

Shh, Just Go With It will keep you safe from those scary movies, but the music itself seems to have cuddled too long with its safety blanket. Instead of taking the opportunity to distance themselves from the pack, Every Avenue have released 5 single-worthy songs and a bunch of filler. If we're going to see this powerpop-punk sound surging on the charts, bands such as Every Avenue need to tighten it up just a bit more, and maybe infuse some creativity—the bad taste in your mouth after this album will almost assuredly be the complaint that you've heard it all before. That said, they've managed to put together a handful of replayable tracks next to the clunkers; admittedly, this CD would be much worse without the tight production from Zack Odom and Kenneth Mount (Cartel, Holiday Parade). Shh, Just Go With It will get feet tapping and panties dropping, but when the end of the year comes around, it will likely be just another regret.
Track ListDays of the Old
This One's a Cheap Shot
Where Were You?
Think of You Later (Empty Room)
A Story to Tell Your Friends
Boys Will Be Boys
Take a Step Back
Trading Heartbeats
Freak Out!
Between You and I
Chasing the Night
Listen to Every AvenueAP.net Profile | Myspace | Buy Every Avenue's Shh, Just Go With It on iTunes
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 47
11:24 PM on 03/05/08
hailthewarrior
haters gonna hate hate hate
User Info.
Good review, Tony! The last sentence made me chuckle.
11:32 PM on 03/05/08
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
Scandalous. Well done, sir.
11:43 PM on 03/05/08
firecrackaaa!
we're taking on the world together.
User Info.
love it, mr. creative.
06:25 AM on 03/06/08
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
Great review. These guys are much better live than on a recorded cd.
06:38 AM on 03/06/08
Kill_the_radio
Don't wait too long to come home
User Info.
Tony, yo're my favorite reviewer!
great review as always!

concerning the band.. mmm my final score would have been a little lower..
06:54 AM on 03/06/08
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
I wasn't a fan of this CD.
07:13 AM on 03/06/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I give this a 15%. Good review though.
07:38 AM on 03/06/08
NotThtKndaGirl
User Info.
i do agree that Every Avenue is better live than on CD, but i think it's a great album. it was better than i expected.

and its 'Days of the Old'. not Cold
07:53 AM on 03/06/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
I cannot stand this band. I'd like to show them some love being from Michigan, but this is just cheesy, corny, poppy punk that is horrible. The lyrics make me want to hit myself in the face.
I have no idea how some people consider this band "the next big thing".
07:54 AM on 03/06/08
corybarker
User Info.
Man, i can't believe all the hate for this record.

Definitely not groundbreaking, but it's damn catchy.
08:06 AM on 03/06/08
dangerfanm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i can see where you are coming from in this review :]

but personally, i loved it.

i do agree they are 958345893 times better live than on cd. but i LOVE this cd, which seems like a rarity against everyone else?
08:29 AM on 03/06/08
famousroyalty7
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. These guys are much better live than on a recorded cd.

agreed.

i blocked their van in last time I saw them and they kept asking who's car it was..i felt bad haha =[
08:42 AM on 03/06/08
decrescendo27
www.KillLincolnDC.com
User Info.
Tracks 1-3 and 11 are the only ones I listen to on this album

they are quality pop punk tunes but the rest of the album didn't do it for me
08:53 AM on 03/06/08
myenqvist
AlisoN
User Info.
i enjoyed the EP more than this, but perhaps i need to give it more of a chance. and i still haven't listened to the last song, as i usually switch CDs or do something else before i can get to it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos