Password

05:25 PM on 06/19/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
This is on point.

For a while there, when they were getting a little reckless with their mouths/actions -- I was in this boat. I snapped out of it after their listening to their albums afterwards.

You just have to remember that even though you may not like the people in the band or what they do, the music is what's important.
Why?

Chris Brown is a piece of shit ... why would I support his music, and him - financially?
05:46 PM on 06/19/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
the artist is separate from the art they create

i can understand not financially supporting a shitty person but to reject their art based on that is silly and close minded, i think.
How are they separate? When looking at art, we take the artist into account ... the blue period of Picasso's work takes on more meaning when Picasso, himself, is studied in context. People reject art based upon superficial reasoning all the time (the production, the genre, the other bands they tour with, etc.) -- is who the people are that create the art all that different?

I think there's a difference between saying someone makes bad music/art because they're a bad person -- and saying you don't want to listen to someone's art because they're a bad person. It's not a good reason to say something is not good (the two are separate), but I do think it is enough to say "yeah, I'm not going to support or listen to this because so and so is a bad person."
06:08 PM on 06/19/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
i definitely would. where do we draw the line? so does that mean i wouldn't watch movies made by or starring a "wife beater"?
I don't purchase tickets to Sean Penn movies for this very reason.
06:08 PM on 06/19/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
that last part, i just think that's a ridiculously silly thing to do. i just don't care if an artist is a shitty person. i don't care if they are a serial killer or a pedophile, if they make worthwhile art then i want to indulge in it. i suppose it's a matter of opinion.
I understand you not caring -- however, I don't think it's universal. I care if someone is a pedophile. I won't support a pedophile with my money. I could look at the art of a pedophile and judge its merit -- but with my (limited) time, I personally would chose to not spend it on that - when other, non-pedophile, works of art exist.
06:11 PM on 06/19/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
i can sort of understand this line of thinking but i'm the total opposite
Understandable. We all make decisions on a daily basis for why we like/don't like/listen/support/etc. different things -- I can't fault any rational people go with. I just know, personally, I feel as though my wallet and time are two of the few things I can actually vote with that kind of matter in this world -- and I choose to be judicious with both.
11:00 AM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I'm drunk and stopped at this post, so I don't know if you've really commented on this band or you're just talking generals, but I do remember when War Paint came out you said something in the vein of, "some of the guys in this band are kind of jackasses, but they continue to put out great albums, so I'll let it pass."

Something to that extent. I may be a bit off, and I'm not trying to criticize you cause I respect your opinion so highly. But basically what I'm saying is fuck the Blazers, go Rockets.
What I knew about members in the band changed between "War Paint" and now. I can get over people just being assholes -- that barely even registers with me.
03:53 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I mean it worked for John Lennon. We see him as a martyr now regardless of all the terrible things he's done.
What terrible things did John Lennon do?

We unanimously hate Chris Brown not just because of what he's done but if he was removed from the musical scene, nothing would really change. You can't say the same about MJ or Lennon and I personally can't say the same for TDS.
What? Not following.
04:09 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I've read Cynthia Lennon's autobiography, and don't remember anything about that in there ... I remember reading stuff about how he was emotionally abusive to Julian -- and that led to him really getting into the peace movement, but maybe I needa check that out more.
04:22 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Spent a few minutes on Google.

Yahoo Answers is the top source.

Heh.

Looks like "John Lennon: The Life" -- is my next music book to read.
04:24 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I mean, idk about her book but he himself admitted it at least several times that I've seen so
Don't see it anywhere ... not even Wikipedia... I've only seen one unsourced quote from him about the topic, no details.
04:28 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
http://home.comcast.net/~leslienoelani/TNI.html

We found the very first website ever created.
04:32 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
The internet is awesome.

Quote is from a Playboy interview, that has been buried:

LENNON: It is a diary form of writing. All that "I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved" was me. I used to be cruel to my woman, and physically -- any woman. I was a hitter. I couldn't express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women. That is why I am always on about peace, you see. It is the most violent people who go for love and peace. Everything's the opposite. But I sincerely believe in love and peace. I am not violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence. I will have to be a lot older before I can face in public how I treated women as a youngster.

Ok, with that ... that fucking sucks, but his admission and change is something I buy. And can understand. But I'm disappointed as hell.

Cody never apologized for the incident I have a big issue with, and by all accounts has not changed as a person since then. So I view the two differently.
05:45 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthre...post98327 242
06:02 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
why did he even say that there? is there any other proof besides that? I'm missing something.

EDIT: is says "this girl," I thought it said "a girl." makes more sense now. but still, wtf
Cause he's an idiot? No idea why he said that.
06:07 PM on 06/20/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Well he was an alcoholic at the time.
Doesn't excuse actions that affect others IMO.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos