AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

11:11 AM on 08/25/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
On the surface it's not a bad album, sure, but it lacks almost everything that made me love them in the first place.

A perfectly fair statement. I still get the same feeling from about half the tracks, but the other half loses me a bit. Hard to go back and listen to War Paint and not feel disappointed in this one.
01:36 PM on 08/25/13 
User Info.
jdaniels
No Avatar Selected
Male - 22 Years Old
There are some days I have where Golden Record feels like it's lacking something...

But then, it's 1 a.m. and I'm driving through town, windows down, August air, & I can see where it fits in with the other records. Each callback, each different view point. The differences of new musicians. A golden haze on the memories of high school, and feeling hopeless, and war paint, feeling angry and hostile and confused, but now, feeling these feelings still, but with a more mature thought about it. A confidence and optimism.

Anchor.
Catholic Girls.
We Will Wait in the Fog.

Insane songs to me that are where I like the contrast to Miscommunication, War Paint, In My Room.
04:24 PM on 08/25/13 
User Info.
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
Toronto
Male - 25 Years Old
I still highly dislike Drowning and I'm So Pathetic but the rest is really starting to grow on me.
The sequence of songs from Knives to Into the Comfort is in my opinion the strongest sequence of 5 songs that this band has had on any of their records.
04:44 PM on 08/25/13 
User Info.
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
NJ
Male - 16 Years Old
Staff Member
Drowning is one of the best songs on the album.
05:14 PM on 08/25/13 
User Info.
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
Belmont, NC
Male - 21 Years Old
Drowning is one of the best songs on the album.
For real. Do not get the hate.

Catholic Girls
Drowning
Into The Comfort
Knives
Anchor

That's my (loose) top 5.
06:29 PM on 08/25/13 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Has anyone seen them tour this record yet? Thoughts on AJ's performance, if so? Really, really curious as to whether or not he's destroying his vocal cords or really has just 'begun to find his voice.'
07:26 PM on 08/25/13 
User Info.
mka12992
Belmont, NC
Male - 21 Years Old
Has anyone seen them tour this record yet? Thoughts on AJ's performance, if so? Really, really curious as to whether or not he's destroying his vocal cords or really has just 'begun to find his voice.'
Will more than likely see them Tuesday, I'll let you know what I think if I do.
10:04 AM on 08/26/13 
User Info.
colorfast
I'm a paintbrush in a way.
Seattle, WA
Male - 24 Years Old

I saw them a few weeks ago and AJ sounded incredible. He still was able to dial it back on older songs when it was appropriate but he was ripping through the new material with ease. I thought he might be ruining his voice as well after hearing Golden Record but now I don't think that is the case.
10:35 AM on 08/26/13 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
I saw them a few weeks ago and AJ sounded incredible. He still was able to dial it back on older songs when it was appropriate but he was ripping through the new material with ease. I thought he might be ruining his voice as well after hearing Golden Record but now I don't think that is the case.

Too early to tell.
10:35 AM on 08/26/13 
User Info.
barkjon
belle and me
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
Catholic Girls da best
08:46 AM on 08/28/13 
User Info.
mka12992
Belmont, NC
Male - 21 Years Old
To give an update, I saw them last night, and it was a great show. AJ sounded great throughout, and only seemed to have trouble on Work in Progress (which was at the end of the set and kind of a bitch to sing anyway). I didn't notice any issues on older material, he really did seem to dial it back for those with ease, as someone said earlier.

Also, all the Golden Record songs they played sounded great. Knives, especially, sounded incredible live.
01:58 PM on 08/28/13 
User Info.
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
NJ / NYC
Male
Nothing prior to Golden Record ever held my attention, but I think this is doing it. It sounds very much like a few other bands, but I can't put my finger on which ones. They definitely had a very Valencia and The Starting Line inspired sound before, but now it's something else.
08:46 PM on 08/28/13 
User Info.
UrSpaceIsEmpty
I'm So Pathetic has grown on me so much. Used to be the only TDS song I honestly disliked but I was listening to the album in my car the other day and the chorus just clicked
11:44 AM on 08/30/13 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
New video for "Sins"

11:54 AM on 08/30/13 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Actually a really cool video. The verse harmonies on that track are still my favorite thing about this record, I think.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos