AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

06:16 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
That's my least favorite song on the album ... definitely don't see that doing anything in the mainstream. I don't think it's supposed to.

Yeah, I was definitely using "mainstream" liberally. Nothing on here is making it to radio. But I love "We Will Wait in the Fog."

Quote:
Maybe. But none of the choruses are really all that strong when we start talking about mainstream potential. So, everything gets a little muddy here -- seeing as I don't think any of the songs were even written to be mainstream appeal anyway. I mean, there's no "Island" on here or specific "oh yeah, that's the one that could win them a billion fans."

I think "Catholic Girls" was the right choice of first single, definitely. And I disagree about the choruses: I think they're almost unanimously strong, as strong as the material the band has had up to this point other than their best songs. Sure, there's no pop single, but that's not really what I look for from them.

Quote:
I could without even thinking about it. If I put the entire band's discography on shuffle, and didn't already know where songs lined up, I would be able to tell only by AJ's voice where in the timeline each song should go.

I mean, to a certain extent that's true, but you could say that about a lot of pop-rock/pop-punk bands who stay in the same wheelhouse. I can tell very definitely by the instrumentation and the songwriting style that about eight of these songs could not have been on War Paint, and I couldn't see any of them on Reach for the Sun. Don't really see how you could confuse "Knives" with something like "Surfaced." They're completely different songs with completely different moods.

Quote:
Not really ... cut out 90 second guitar clips from each song, and you think they're all that different? I'd have to hear a instrumental version of the album to really be able to tell -- cause any time AJ is singing he dominates the song (that's a compliment). The drums are more of a differentiating factor here compared to "War Paint," however, they're not on RTS's level.

How are these songs not thick walls of guitar sound? There's just about as much fluctuation as past albums ...

I really don't think the arrangements are that similar. You're confusing what I mean by "wall of guitar sound" with "guitar based." The album is obviously still very reliant on guitars, but I think on a lot of the songs, Kennedy is adding things that Cody and the other guy were not doing on previous albums. There is definitely more rhythmic fluctuation, definitely more effects used on the guitar sound, and I think the result is instrumentation that is more subtle and dynamic and atmospheric than before. I think a lot of the songs on previous albums were built around repeated quarter note strums on two or three chords, and I think Kennedy has cut back on that a lot.

Quote:
Meticulous is not the word I would use for any of these arrangements. I mean, we're talking pretty standard arrangements here. Nothing on the level of what The Graduate were doing within this genre.

Well no, but I think Kennedy adds some of that influence and ambition. I'll be eager to hear a higher quality version so I can focus more on his parts. You're right that AJ dominates the songs.

Quote:
I'd agree with that -- the melodies are far weaker on this album, and a lot of them fall into a very similar pattern (which leads to the songs all sort of blending together). A different producer could have helped here to try and get them out of the comfort zone in writing ... cause all of this really comes as the same-old-same-old from the band. Sure, it's good stuff ... but we've got 2 albums and 2 EPs of that ... and it's more of the same. I woulda liked to see if they had anything besides the same one trick. Don't get me wrong, it's a good trick, but I don't think anyone can listen to the album and think it's not more of the same.

Minus like 2 songs I can't think of a single chorus that sticks out, or that I would have stuck in my head. As I mentioned in my first post, a lot of the "speak the lyrics" stuff is done in the chorus, but there's not even all that of a definite differentiation between verses/chorus/bridge in these songs ... a lot of it bleeds together. However, I'd disagree with your characterization of the last two albums as well -- I think the verses in "War Paint" were stronger than the bridges.

I don't really know what you mean by the "speak the lyrics" thing. I think this band has always been more focused on the words than the music, using the melodies as a means of carrying the lyrics, but I don't think that sticks out in a weird or offensive way on this album any more than it did in the past. And I think the choruses are every bit as obvious as they were on the last record, though they're definitely not as good. For all my disagreements with you about this album, I do think this is their weakest record.

As for War Paint, I think you'd be in the minority on the bridges/choruses matter. I remember the thread for that album from two years back, and it seemed like everyone was pulling out a different bridge as their favorite part of the record. "You're the song I wrote that I will always love" from "Siren," "I need back inside your veins" from "No One's Gonna Need You More," "I'm tired of always being second best" from "Miscommunication," "The war to end all wars" on "Waves," etc. I think there was a definite pattern on that album where AJ was really into the bridges, and this album, because it's missing that, suffers tremendously. I still think it's a great record and it will still probably make my top ten, but it's somewhat disappointing.
07:01 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
FL
Male - 23 Years Old
"And I disagree about the choruses: I think they're almost unanimously strong, as strong as the material the band has had up to this point other than their best songs. Sure, there's no pop single, but that's not really what I look for from them."

"And I think the choruses are every bit as obvious as they were on the last record, though they're definitely not as good"

So are you saying that on Golden record, the best chorus is only mediocre? Just not exactly sure what you're getting at regarding the choruses...
07:06 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
I prefer the acoustic version of no one's gonna need you more to the full band one. Also, the first and last two songs on that album are some of my favourites by them.

I can't say I prefer it, but the acoustic version of that song is really fantastic.
07:07 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
"And I disagree about the choruses: I think they're almost unanimously strong, as strong as the material the band has had up to this point other than their best songs. Sure, there's no pop single, but that's not really what I look for from them."

"And I think the choruses are every bit as obvious as they were on the last record, though they're definitely not as good"

So are you saying that on Golden record, the best chorus is only mediocre? Just not exactly sure what you're getting at regarding the choruses...

Haha, that didn't make any sense, sorry. Let me clarify. The only song here that I would place with their best is "Miles Apart." Maybe "Anchor," but on the whole, I do think it is a weaker record if only because there aren't as many highlights as on previous records. However, I think the average level of the songs and choruses is still very high, and if the songs are weaker than the ones on War Paint I think it's a matter of bridges rather than choruses.

That said, "Miles Apart" is easily a top three Dangerous Summer song for me, and has one of their best chorus hooks.
07:13 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
spaghettti
spo0ky
Westfield, MA
Female - 20 Years Old
I hate that some people are starting to make assumptions about the album from what the staff are saying, without even hearing it.
07:17 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
Male - 27 Years Old
Why? He's not very dynamic. Gotta put the idea that someone isn't pushing the somewhere ... I'm erring on the band's side.

The flip side of that is perhaps they return to Paul time and time again BECAUSE he doesn't push them. They obviously don't seem like dudes who would really welcome constructive criticism and lots of hands-on tinkering from a producer.

Agree wholeheartedly, a change of scenery is probably necessary.
07:18 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
FL
Male - 23 Years Old
Haha, that didn't make any sense, sorry. Let me clarify. The only song here that I would place with their best is "Miles Apart." Maybe "Anchor," but on the whole, I do think it is a weaker record if only because there aren't as many highlights as on previous records. However, I think the average level of the songs and choruses is still very high, and if the songs are weaker than the ones on War Paint I think it's a matter of bridges rather than choruses.

That said, "Miles Apart" is easily a top three Dangerous Summer song for me, and has one of their best chorus hooks.
Well that's awesome to hear.

I think i'm in the minority, but i tend to return more to the poppier TDS songs. Some of my favourite choruses from them are in "Surfaced", "Permanant Rain", "Settle Down" "Everyone Left" "Parachute" and "War Paint".

Not necessarily my favourite songs, but some of my favourite choruses by them. Man, that was really hard to narrow it down. They've got a lot of great choruses, haha.

EDIT: I just listened to a bunch of those songs for the first time in a while. I fuckin' love the vibe that "Surfaced" has. Alos, definitely my favourite chorus by them. So fun to sing along to.
08:01 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
mka12992
polarisamour.bandcamp.com
SC
Trans* - 21 Years Old
Favorite TDS chorus is This Is War.

Anyway, it sucks reading a bunch of people saying this is their weakest, but I sincerely don't think I'll end up feeling that way. Time will tell.
08:06 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
FL
Male - 23 Years Old
Favorite TDS chorus is This Is War.

Anyway, it sucks reading a bunch of people saying this is their weakest, but I sincerely don't think I'll end up feeling that way. Time will tell.
Definitely a good one. Love the lyrics.
08:07 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Keep in mind that, for me at least, weakest by them is still pretty damn good.
08:11 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
mka12992
polarisamour.bandcamp.com
SC
Trans* - 21 Years Old
Definitely a good one. Love the lyrics.
Yeah, love the lyrics, and everything about the music and melodies. Cody used the same chord progression on many songs on RFTS, and even a couple on War Paint, I think, and I'd definitely say that's my favorite with that chord progression.

Keep in mind that, for me at least, weakest by them is still pretty damn good.
Oh yeah, I don't doubt that. Just don't sense that I'll think it's their weakest. Catholic Girls is already easily a top 5 TDS song for me.
08:23 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
FL, US/Oxford, UK
Male - 20 Years Old
I wish Hopeless didn't suck at pressing vinyl
08:24 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
Protested Hero
Jon
Massachusetts
Male - 26 Years Old
I will listen to this when it comes out.
08:31 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
Philadelphia, PA
Male
never heard War Paint. might have to give it a listen.
09:26 AM on 07/03/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Yeah, love the lyrics, and everything about the music and melodies. Cody used the same chord progression on many songs on RFTS, and even a couple on War Paint, I think, and I'd definitely say that's my favorite with that chord progression.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that. Just don't sense that I'll think it's their weakest. Catholic Girls is already easily a top 5 TDS song for me.

Well if you dig "Catholic Girls," I wouldn't be worried. I'm not crazy about one or two songs on here, and that almost automatically puts it below the last two, since I loved pretty much every moment on those albums. But there are some truly outstanding songs here, and "Catholic Girls" offers a very good snapshot of the direction they are going here. Also, that's AJ's vocal style for the record, so if that doesn't bother you, you're fine.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos