Username
Password
Tour Dates News - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 96.
09:04 PM on 01/22/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
Yes, I'm the sure the views expressed towards certain individual women, are at least an incredibly small margin of them in those songs are expressive of the entire female sex as a whole.
You'll notice I didn't mention "Mt. Diablo." I hate the song, but it's about a specific person, so I don't argue against it.

"Daughters", however, is clearly about an entire population of females who are at college and who choose to drink and have sex. Neither of which are bad things. (And I find it especially rich that the guy who can't get through two sentences of an interview without mentioning weed is preaching to people who drink.) I'm assuming the guy up there talking about women who "shame themselves for letting their guard down" thinks it's the girl's fault if she gets date raped or forced into having sex with someone while intoxicated. Not really sure what point he's trying to make. Because if he's just talking about having casual sex, I'm not sure what's "shameful" about that, or "letting their guard down."
09:04 PM on 01/22/13
ClintMontgomery
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's weird how when speaking out against someone's homophobic or racist comments, it's encouraged and applauded. For example, when everyone trashed the For Today guy, and said it didn't matter how many good things he did or has done, the underlying intolerance meant we should continue to speak out against him. But when speaking out against sexism, you're met with groans, and pleas to "take it somewhere else, because they're doing a good thing!"

It's the same principle. You are free to applaud them for doing a good thing. I am happy they're switching venues. But that doesn't excuse their underlying intolerance and frankly disgusting attitude towards women.
They think women who get trashed and sleep with many men are gross...I honestly don't think there's anything gross to holding women to that standard, or men for that matter.
09:14 PM on 01/22/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
If the song was about a gay man who slept with too many men, but he was a super nice dude, would this thread feel better?
09:24 PM on 01/22/13
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
Goddamn this is a dumbass argument. On a related note, classy move on these guys part.
09:27 PM on 01/22/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
"Put themselves to shame by letting their guard down."

Seriously?

And there's a serious different between high school angst and flat-out name calling and calling girls at shows sluts and making the environment unsafe for them.

Wait, so they actually call girls who attend their shows sluts? I've never actually paid attention to this band before, even though they seem to have a large following on this site...
09:40 PM on 01/22/13
NickMadeVisible
User Info.
Wait, so they actually call girls who attend their shows sluts? I've never actually paid attention to this band before, even though they seem to have a large following on this site...
Personally in the shows I've seen both live and on video, I have not witnessed that.
09:40 PM on 01/22/13
kidinthebushes
User Info.
I guess tolerance doesn't work both ways.
09:42 PM on 01/22/13
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
At a show once, Parker dedicated Mt. Diablo to all the "sluts that don't know how to be faithful to their men." Then there was a huge argument in a thread a while ago about whether this was him shaming people for cheating on their SO's, or "sluts" in general.

I find the word "slut" damaging and inherently sexist, but hey, that's me.

edit: misworded it. actual wording edited in.
09:43 PM on 01/22/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
A friend of mine went to a show where they dedicated a song to "all the little sluts in the crowd", and then played "Daughters." Finding out about that pretty much made it impossible for me to like them anymore. Before that, I could sort of excuse their behavior, but there is a line, and that comments definitely crosses it. (Again, I won't argue against "Mt. Diablo", because that's definitely about a specific person. My personal distaste for the song isn't really relevant in this argument.)
10:19 PM on 01/22/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.

Kid was asked on punknews about Daughters being pretty blatant slut shaming and his response was "I don't give a fuck what people say about my writing."

My two cents is that the band is standing up for a good cause, and the two causes should have nothing to do with each other. I see where people are coming from when they say it's ridiculous to argue about this in this thread, but it does seem weird to me that they support homosexual marriage but they do not support heterosexual promiscuity (and only half of the heterosexual parties involved get the blame.)

Some of this band's fanbase is no better than religious nuts who blindly hate others for their beliefs (or lack thereof). While these kids do not shun homosexuality (well, some of them do, but for the most part the reception to this change of venues has been positive), they have created a male dominance and close mindedness not too far from the same mindset of homophobes. Before anybody accuses me of comparing promiscuity to a basic right, i understand it is not the same to be against people having basic rights and to criticize promiscuity as far as the effects of it, but it is still a similar train of thought.
10:28 PM on 01/22/13
beauvais910
User Info.
Classy gents
10:44 PM on 01/22/13
I_Never_Post
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, they totally support hate free environments, that's why they still play "Daughters" live and are hypocritical, sexist assholes.

and yet, Daughters and Mt. Diablo continue to played at their shows.

"I'm all for LGBT rights but FUCK GIRLS WHO SLEEP WITH PEOPLE AND DRINK!!! AWW YEAHH!!! WEED!!!!"

this is dumb.
10:45 PM on 01/22/13
omgjellybeans
LAMusicBlogWriter
User Info.
All hail TSSF. Such a solid move!!!
10:50 PM on 01/22/13
theHECKLER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Solid move by solid guys.

No. Boooooooo
11:44 PM on 01/22/13
JayDanielHammer
solidkneeplus.tumblr.com
User Info.
Personally I don't advocate heavy drinking or smoking weed, but I think it's pretty hypocritical of them to bash one while basically brag non stop about doing the other.

lol
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums