|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Answers by Chris Wright (guitar/vocals)
1. How did you get your band name?
We chose "The Goonz" because it was the only random band name idea that founding member, Joey Artino, and I could agree on. There were so many horrible dick joke band names and it seemed no one could ever take the name process seriously so we just stuck with The Goonz. Little did we know every rapper with a posse call themselves Goonz. Oh well.
2. How did this band get started?
Joey Artino and I would get drunk and jam out in his grandmothers house that they had up for sale. Joey was staying there because someone broke in and stole copper from the basement and a bunch of furniture. A few noise violations later we decided we needed to find a bassist.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
We all listen to a pretty wide variety of music. I guess you can say in some way we're influenced by everything we hear. whether it's our cup of tea or not.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I'd love to tour with any bands that were cool dudes to hang out with. Being on an extended tour can be like a job. A cool job but one but like any job if you don't like the people you work with it makes it a lot less tolerable.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
I like trying places that are specific to the city you're visiting. In Cleveland there are so many good places to eat so we try to stay away from chain restaurants. unless we're broke. Then Taco Bell.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to our band because I'm tired of people saying there aren't any bands out there who are actually trying to say something with their music. It's not our fault the gimmicky radio shit is dumbed down for you. If you buy more stuff like Rage Against the Machine, there might be more bands like RATM. It seems like the stuff that's selling right now is the stuff where people just sing about being fucked up and partying or whatever. I like to party as much as the next guy but I also want to balance that with an intellectual conversation now and again. People need to be moved more. Challenged more. I could go on forever about this.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
LeBron, 'cause he's rich and he got the fuck out of Cleveland! Just kidding. Nah, I'd say Rodney Mullen. Best skateboarder who ever lived. I missed seeing a skate demo with him back in the '90s by an hour because my mom had to go to the store first. I heard he ripped too. Hahaa. Oh well. He changed skateboarding in so many ways and he just seems like a really cool guy.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I'd probably thank anyone who took the time to listen to us, believed in us or told a friend to check us out.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The way money is made
10. Memorable tour experience?
I got to sing with The Bled once. So rad.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a great site with so much information about bands you've probably never heard of and some cool stuff about the bands you have. They even have cool things like this interview thing to help the little guys
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Right now, probably Between Chromosome and Collapse because it's the newest one off the album so we haven't gotten quite as tired of it yet. Haha.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Colorado rules. So calm and beautiful out there.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I have a collection of songs I dug around for from the skate video Hokus Pokus. whenever I play it I am immediately taken back to the old skate days of my youth.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would want to fly. Fuck traffic. And I think it would be the coolest thing ever. I have dreams of flying all the time. I would love to do it for real.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Mostly what I drink. I have a "week of show" regiment which is a secret I will never tell.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I also DJ at a local bar
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
It sucks. At least in Cleveland. We won't ever end up there, but that's cool with us. I'd rather have longevity I suppose.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Well, besides if you never read this interview you probably wouldn't know that I skate or DJ, but I also paint houses!! Yeah. So cool. I know.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first.
More From This Author