04:28 PM on 04/08/06 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Staff Member
Originally Posted by GAD_guy
they both approach comedy differently, so one isn't really "funnier" than the other in my opinion. however, that terrible episode of south park should have made you doubt the quality of that show, not family guy.

the things they said about family guy might be true, and their parody might be slightly amusing, but what alot of people are forgetting is THAT IS WHY FAMILY GUY IS SO FUNNY. its total randomness is the entire charm of the show. apparently, according to matt and trey, the jokes in a funny show have to pertain to a plot in order to be funny. when did comedy get rules? last time i checked, it didn't.
Thank you. Jesus. And South Park has sucked ass this year.
04:31 PM on 04/08/06 
User Info.
Talib Scottie
Isn't it a pity?
Raleigh, NC
Male - 30 Years Old
I think South Park is a better based on their social approach to things and since season 3 the show has been great. Family Guy was hot when it first hit but it's seemed to run it's course with me.
06:40 PM on 04/08/06 
User Info.
minusthejosh
Kill the big pig
Columbia, Missouri
Male - 27 Years Old
Watching some of the new family guys are almost a chore now but so is south park. Overall, I'll take futurama over both of them.
06:40 AM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
GRIFFARD
A meow massages the heart.
Chicago/New Orleans
Male
futurama is great, i haven't seen it in a while. south park is my current favorite
07:20 AM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
fedhed7
Chickens don't clap!
Male - 25 Years Old
Lately, South Park has sucked. The past few episodes of this season hardly made me laugh at all. However, I have full faith in Matt and Trey to come back. Family Guy used to be appealing to me, but now, whenever it comes on, i tend to change the channel.
07:50 AM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
A picasso blue
RAPID FIRE TOLLBOOTH
Norwell, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
the jokes really are just like that on Famiy Guy, though. too esoteric and draw out. like that "Captain and Tenneal" thing is just the type of sucky joke FG would do.
07:53 AM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
Juliana101
Sink.Philadelphia.Sink
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
I own all the Family Guy DVDs and am a pretty big Family Guy afficionado. Unfortunately, I did not get to fully experience the awesomeness of the 80s, so when they throw 80s jokes in there, sometimes I don't get them all, and therefore it isn't as funny to me. South Park is just retarded funny and it doesn't require much thinking at all.

But there's a time and place for both categories of funny.
09:14 AM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
Stereo Therapy
oh, fuck my cock
small town outside...
Male - 24 Years Old
Originally Posted by Juliana101
I own all the Family Guy DVDs and am a pretty big Family Guy afficionado. Unfortunately, I did not get to fully experience the awesomeness of the 80s, so when they throw 80s jokes in there, sometimes I don't get them all, and therefore it isn't as funny to me. South Park is just retarded funny and it doesn't require much thinking at all.

south park really isnt retarded funny most of the time. some jokes are, but not a majority.
09:25 AM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
FondestMemory
having fun in the heart of it all
Youngstown, OH
Male
South Park is just retarded funny and it doesn't require much thinking at all.

if you don't get it, yeah. south park is one of the smartest written comedies on tv. they take real topics and make them so ridiculous and out there that sometimes it's easy to miss what they're trying to say. nobody's ever been able to mix fart jokes and social commentary as well as this show.
03:49 PM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Staff Member
I think you'd have to be fucking idiot if you don't understand the social metaphors on south park. that show gets wayyyyyyyy too much credit for their social commentary. it's really very surface level.
04:03 PM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
believethehyph
He scored goals my lord
Cardiff, Wales, UK.
Male - 26 Years Old
I'd have to pick SP over FG.
04:06 PM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
A picasso blue
RAPID FIRE TOLLBOOTH
Norwell, MA
Male - 25 Years Old

huge understatement.

South Park is a smart show right up there with The Daily Show and Colbert Report. Family Guy is just a dumb off-color joke.
04:17 PM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Staff Member
Originally Posted by A picasso blue
huge understatement.

South Park is a smart show right up there with The Daily Show and Colbert Report. Family Guy is just a dumb off-color joke.
That's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. If you honestly believe Trey Parker and Matt Stone give the same insight into political ongoings as Jon Stewart does, then WOW. I don't understand why people think South Park is so smart. I've seen every season, I enjoy it, but come ON guys...it's not even close to intelligent comedy. It's like reading the newspaper and making an episode around what's on the front page while making a) Saddam gay (OMG HOW SMART!) b) episodes that you'd have to be an idiot not to know what they're about - they spell it out for you. Please, guys.
05:09 PM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
Juliana101
Sink.Philadelphia.Sink
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
Retarded funny or intellectual funny, that's all based on opinion, and yes you'd have to live under a rock to not know that they're making fun of current events. Even if it's just retarded funny, give credit to Trey and Matt for at least having the balls to make controversial episodes, especially while other stations and shows do not even touch on currents.
07:23 PM on 04/09/06 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Staff Member
Retarded funny or intellectual funny, that's all based on opinion, and yes you'd have to live under a rock to not know that they're making fun of current events. Even if it's just retarded funny, give credit to Trey and Matt for at least having the balls to make controversial episodes, especially while other stations and shows do not even touch on currents.
That doesn't make it a better comedy than another show though, which is the main argument for why South Park is funny. That just drives me nuts... since when does comedy have to be socially relevant?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos