Username
Password

02:42 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
http://news.yahoo.com/ap-sources-pan...-politics.html

Army and Marine infantry positions may open for women within this year but assessments for women in the Seals , Green Berets, and Delta Force may take longer.

Though i do agree with the equality aspect of it , i think there will be some issues that will come of it like the possibility of the rise in sexual abuse/rape cases.
I think though to make it truly equal they need to make women's PT qualifications equal to men's and require women to register for selective service like men have to.
03:29 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
Ricketts
@allenricketts
Dallas, TX
Male - 23 Years Old

Army and Marine infantry positions may open for women within this year but assessments for women in the Seals , Green Berets, and Delta Force may take longer.

Though i do agree with the equality aspect of it , i think there will be some issues that will come of it like the possibility of the rise in sexual abuse/rape cases.
I think though to make it truly equal they need to make women's PT qualifications equal to men and require women to register for selective service like men have to.

Completely agree.
06:42 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Selective Service should be abolished.
07:05 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
Selective Service should be abolished.
agreed but if we're going to have it and women are in the combat role it's only fair they should have to register as well
07:05 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Sit on Santa's lap
Connecticut
Male
I signed up for Selective Service when I turned 18. I never got the call. I still keep my card in my wallet.

07:08 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
agreed but if we're going to have it and women are in the combat role it's only fair they should have to register as well

No, I would rather they be exempted because subjected them to the injustice of registration isn't "fairness." At least, not in the way I think of it. If I'm punched in the face, I don't think everyone else should be punched in the name of "fairness." Fairness should be equality of benefits, not negatives.
10:31 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
Ricketts
@allenricketts
Dallas, TX
Male - 23 Years Old
No, I would rather they be exempted because subjected them to the injustice of registration isn't "fairness." At least, not in the way I think of it. If I'm punched in the face, I don't think everyone else should be punched in the name of "fairness." Fairness should be equality of benefits, not negatives.

I'm douchebag for not considering this point. I amend my statement to agree with you.
10:42 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old

I feel the same way about my income tax.
11:28 PM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
Palestinian
Unregistered User
Bay Area, CA
Male - 20 Years Old

First of all, you're assuming selective service is a negative. I don't disagree, but that's your subjective opinion. Fairness is equality of responsibilities, so you're absolutely wrong. I'm all for women's rights, and I think a step in this direction (non-exemption) would only further their case. When exceptions are made, only the case for equality for women is hindered.
12:16 AM on 01/24/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
As someone who is not at all patriotic to be an American citizen I have always been curious to how they treat people like me. If I got drafted I would absolutely refuse to serve in the US military. I realize a lot of people are proud to serve and feel honor for this country but I largely do not. Being born here doesn't warrant patriotism, place just isn't for me. That said, do they just throw you in jail?
12:40 AM on 01/24/13 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
As someone who is not at all patriotic to be an American citizen I have always been curious to how they treat people like me. If I got drafted I would absolutely refuse to serve in the US military. I realize a lot of people are proud to serve and feel honor for this country but I largely do not. Being born here doesn't warrant patriotism, place just isn't for me. That said, do they just throw you in jail?
yes.
and for me it depends on the war. If it's something like WW2 then yeah. Something like Vietnam no.
And as far as patriotism goes i'm like an abstract patriot. I love the ideas that made America just not the reality of what it has become. I think a lot of people would fall into this category.
07:22 AM on 01/24/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
First of all, you're assuming selective service is a negative. I don't disagree, but that's your subjective opinion. Fairness is equality of responsibilities, so you're absolutely wrong. I'm all for women's rights, and I think a step in this direction (non-exemption) would only further their case. When exceptions are made, only the case for equality for women is hindered.

No, this isn't subjective. Its an egregious violation of freedom to have your agency removed to fight in a war where you are likely going to die. Equality in this case is removing the selective service requirement for men.
09:36 AM on 01/24/13 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
That said, do they just throw you in jail?

Possible penalties for a man neglecting his registration requirement do include jail time and heavy fines, however, prosecutors must prove knowing and willful violation, which is practically only possible in cases of self-publicized neglect. The criminal law has not been enforced in decades.

Failures to register will have a hard time getting federal money for stuff like student loans, however.

Given the tactical uselessness of draftees, selective service will probably never be exercised again without a major cultural, political, and military reversal and overhaul, making the penalties for failing to report when your card is pulled pretty immaterial.

No, this isn't subjective. Its an egregious violation of freedom to have your agency removed to fight in a war where you are likely going to die. Equality in this case is removing the selective service requirement for men.

You are subjectively interpreting the word "equality" which is not always a positive concept. -5 = -5 just as much as 5=5. Conditions can suck equally for everyone; granting benefits in the form of exemptions from service to one class may increase the aggregate good, but it does not increase equality. It is an egregious violation of freedom to be coerced by the government. That agreed upon, when the coercion is applied in the same degree to everyone, including not at all (as you advocate), that's equality. That's just the definition of the word. Your point is clearly stated, that you don't think subjecting a NEW demographic to an unjust statute really counts as "progress," which is reasonable enough. However, equality is what equality is.
11:35 AM on 01/24/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
yes.
and for me it depends on the war. If it's something like WW2 then yeah. Something like Vietnam no.
And as far as patriotism goes i'm like an abstract patriot. I love the ideas that made America just not the reality of what it has become. I think a lot of people would fall into this category.

I can respect that. I feel like during the early 1900s the US was a more interesting place with the dawn of heavy immigration but since then it's become something that isn't really for me. After traveling/living to other places in the world, learning other languages the US really stands out as a monocultural place for the most part. There isn't this diversity or respect for multilingualism that's found and enforced in countries like Canada for example. I would never disrespect those who selflessly put their life on the line for others but I'll never understand this extreme jingoism/patriotism that so many Americans have these days. It just seems like overkill and it's very uncomfortable to be around.
11:45 AM on 01/24/13 
User Info.
luckykaruba
Jazz Baby
Female - 28 Years Old

I think though to make it truly equal they need to make women's PT qualifications equal to men's and require women to register for selective service like men have to.

If you are worried about sexual assault/rape cases rising than you should fight for harsher penalties, ending a culture of dominance and silence, and better ways for victims to report their assaults/better review boards for sexual assault cases. Plus, these women are already in combat roles. Now they are just being recognized for it and will be able to reap the benefits of it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos