AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Transit - Listen & Forgive Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.13
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 8.63
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.88
Reviewer Tilt 9.38
Average: 96%
Inside AP.net

Transit - Listen & Forgive

Reviewed by: justbradley (01/23/13)
Transit Ė Listen & Forgive
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: October 4th, 2011

Iíve been listening to the genre of pop-punk for a few years now, but didnít really get into it until the spring of 2012; I mean, I was always into bands like Fall Out Boy, The Wonder Years, Fireworks, The Academy Is, New Found Glory, and Blink-182, just to name a few. Boston, Massachusetts pop-punk band Transit is one thatís garnered a lot of buzz in the last couple years, especially with third record Listen & Forgive, released in 2011. I recall listening to this record when it was released, but for some reason, it never stuck with me. Well, in the spring of 2012, I decided to buy a copy of this record and see what all the fuss is about. Iím glad I did that, because this record never left my iPod for months, and itís become one of my all time favorite records, for a lot of reasons. The biggest reason I enjoy this record so much is the overall instrumentation; in the genre of pop-punk, there is not a lot of variety, but thatís not why most fans enjoy it. I know I enjoy pop-punk for the ďfeelsĒ that the lyrics give off. The lyrics are definitely pivotal in the genre, and if a pop-punk band does not have solid lyrics, I canít really get into them. While Transitís lyrics are fantastic (and that is a reason I enjoy them a lot, too), but because their backing instrumentation is actually quite interesting and different. They combine the genres of indie-rock and pop-punk to make for something very unique. Iíve noticed other bands who are doing this, too, such as Daytrader (who sadly broke up last year), and Into It Over It, who are great bands as well. Some songs on Listen & Forgive are very ďpop-punk,Ē while others are much more mellow and have that indie sound. Going along with Transitís lyrics, vocalist Joe Boynton is great, too; his voice is very distinctive, despite it being rather nasally. It takes a bit getting used to, especially if you donít listen to a lot of vocalists like that, but his voice is great. Vocals are another thing that makes certain pop-punk bands stand out, and since the instrumentation isnít all that unique most of the time, the vocals have to deliver. Transit succeeds in all three areas Ė lyrics, vocals, and instrumentation. Theyíre easily one of the best pop-punk bands to come out in the last 7 years or so. Well, why donít we start to listen to this record, and hopefully you, the reader, can forgive me for writing a rather long introduction. Get it? Listen and forgive? Thatís the album name. Thatís why itís funny.

The record begins with ďYou Canít Miss It (Itís Everywhere),Ē and this song really starts the record off with a bang. It starts off with a very memorable guitar riff with guitarists Tim Landers (who also does backup vocals), and Torre Cioffi, while Boynton stepping up to the mic. As with this song, and plenty of others on the record, there are lots of memorable lyrics on this album. Thatís one thing that bothers me about a lot of bands, because their lyrics arenít necessarily memorable or they lack any lasting value. Most bands seem to write lyrics that really are relatable at a certain point in someoneís life, like adolescence, or early adulthood. Well, Iíve grown out of a lot of stuff I used to listen to, because the lyrics donít hit me the same way. I digress, however. One lyric that really hits me in the ďfeels,Ē as I mentioned earlier, is ďWith the best of intentions / I canít forget how you took away the happiness from my life / Like all the city lights broke at the same time.Ē Thatís the pre-chorus, and itís fantastic. The chorus itself is wonderful as well, and this is a great track to start off with record with, because the chorus is the song title itself, ďYou canít miss it / Itís everywhere,Ē and I feel like thatís the band trying to say that you canít miss this record. And to be honest, you canít miss it. These guys are one of the biggest pop-punk bands in the genre right now, and for good reason. ďYou Canít Miss ItĒ is definitely one of the most ďpop-punkĒ songs on the record, and like I said, itís a great opening track, because it really gives you (the listener) a feel for the band, and the barrage of great music continues with second track ďLong Lost Friends.Ē This has a very memorable chorus, and whatnot, but itís a rather mellow track. The verses are certainly much more mellow, and place emphasis on Boyntonís vocals. This is easily one of the best tracks on the record, and also contains VERY memorable lyrics. Itís about what the title suggests, losing touch with your close friends. I can certainly relate to this song, especially at any point in my life, since Iíll always have friends. Third track ďListen & ForgiveĒ is the title track, and this track is great as well, but this leads me to my first criticism Ė this song sounds quite like ďLong Lost Friends.Ē Not exactly, but it does have that formula. The verses are mellow while the chorus is very catchy and infectious. Thatís true for a lot of songs on here, but it does work very well. One thing I like on this song, though, is that backup vocalist /guitarist Tim Landers has a bit of time to shine on this song, and his vocals do compliment Boytonís because his are a bit deeper and arenít so nasally.

Fourth track ďAll Your HeartĒ is a very interesting track for one reason Ė it features Patrick Stump. That alone is a reason to check this band out. I could talk about this forever, but Fall Out Boy is one band that definitely influenced the pop-punk bands of today, specifically with 2003ís Take This To Your Grave, so to have Patrick Stump on your record is pretty cool. It sounds like a cool idea, right? Well, the ending result is slightly disappointing. Yes, itís great that Patrick is on this song, and he appears towards the bridge, but itís his guest spot thatís disappointing. The song itself is great, but Patrick just merely repeats a few lines and doesnít really do anything else for the rest of the song. Itís a ďBig-Lipped Alligator Moment,Ē essentially; for those of you who have not seen any YouTube by the Nostalgia Critic, that just means itís something that you see/hear once, and while itís never explained, it never appears again. Patrick just kind of comes and goes. He doesnít really contribute anything to the song. Itís like heís there just to be there, and itís rather disappointing. Itís cool heís there, because his vocals are awesome, but they couldíve done so much more with that. After that song, it seems the record does go into rather bland territory. No, the songs are not generic, and in fact, theyíre still great, and have that ďTransitĒ sound, but they seem to blend into each other after awhile, because they sound so similar. There are moments here and there, and lyrics that do stand out from each song, so itís not to say theyíre all bland and boring. Theyíre certainly not boring, but itís just hard to tell the songs apart sometimes. There are a couple of songs that do stand out very nicely, actually; sixth track ďCutting Corners,Ē and seventh track ďSkipping Stone.Ē This is a nice one-two punch, because the former is a very ďpop-punkĒ track, while the latter is an acoustic track that shows Boytonís vocals much more stripped down, essentially. After these two tracks, there arenít too many other tracks in the last half of the record that stand out too much. Well, they all do stand out in one way, but they sound so similar, which is the only criticism I have with this record. Eleventh track ďOver Your HeadĒ is easily my favorite track on this record, mainly because itís got my favorite lyrics, and really just sums up Transit in a nutshell. It takes both sounds they have, the pop-punk and indie, and blends them together in a great way. This is a very memorable track, and itís great itís at the tail end of the record. Last track ďThe Answer Comes In Time,Ē is a great album closer, honestly. This is another song that sums up what Transit is all about.

This record is a fantastic pop-punk record, and one of my favorite records of all time; itís memorable in every single way, but I did mention that the last half of the record does slip ever so slightly. Itís not their fault, and it doesnít hinder the record too much, but it can get a bit redundant, to say the least. If youíre a pop-punk fan, though, this is a perfect record to check out, especially for Patrick Stump being in ďAll Your Heart.Ē

Recommended If You LikeThe Wonder Years, The Story So Far, Daytrader, The Early November, pop-punk meets indie-rock, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. You Canít Miss It (Itís Everywhere)
2. Long Lost Friends
3. Listen & Forgive
4. All Your Heart
5. Asleep at the Wheel
6. Cutting Corners
7. Skipping Stone
8. I Think I Know You
9. Donít Make a Sound
10. 1978
11. Over Your Head
12. The Answer Comes In Time

Transit is:
Joe Boynton Ė vocals
Daniel Frazier Ė drums
PJ Jefferson Ė bass
Tim Landers Ė guitar / vocals
Torre Cioffi Ė guitar / vocals

www.facebook.com/transitmakesmusic

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
12:34 PM on 02/06/13
swimmer9800
Tell me again its all in my head
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i might check it out
07:01 PM on 02/12/13
epetershagen
User Info.
I could not agree more with many points in your review of this album. When it first came out I sort of brushed off the hype that a few of those around me had given to this band. I had heard of them but never really took the time to sit down and really indulge in their album. I finally purchased their album and listened to it through trying to absorb it but one time through was just not enough and which I will agree the album opened up very solid and the after their seventh track "Skipping Stone" the second half sort of flew by in a blur. Now im not sure if it was because "skipping Stone" was an acoustic track and sort of killed the driving vibe of the first half but after this first time through I put the album down for a few days or so. Upon putting it back in again it hasnt left my playlist this album grew on me and it stayed especially his voice and after further listening to his lyricism I was blown away this was one of those albums that had to be listened to more than once to really get a clear view of it and once you did it was an album that could speak to you. I respect this bands innovation instrumentally as well they have succeeded in completely standing out from the recent pop punk wave, its very indie and spacy sounding at times and really illustrates a theme for the album. Guitar melody after melody is just as catchy as they are vocally and the drums on this album are a key component in keeping everything moving just right. Excellent album that will definetly stay in my playlist and be one of my all time favorites.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums