Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Jono Goes To The Movies - "Django Unchained"

Posted by: Drew Beringer (01/25/13)
We're back with a new "Jono Goes To The Movies" column from The Swellers' drummer Jonathan Diener, where he gives his thoughts and opinions on new (and old) movies. Do you have any movies you'd like him to review? Put your suggestions in the comments. Hit the replies to read his review of Django Unchained.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
02:42 PM on 01/25/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Jono Goes To The Movies - "Django Unchained"Mr. Tarantino set the bar incredibly high for himself when Inglorious Basterds hit theaters in 2009. Hollywood treaded water for a few years with lame remakes and 3D versions of lackluster films until Quentin felt it was time to make a comeback. With Django Unchained, the message was clear: revenge is awesome. In short, it's the story of a slave named Django (Jamie Foxx) being freed by a generous German fellow who quickly took him under his wing as a bounty hunter and leads to great cinema.

In typical Tarantino fashion, you instantly pick a side whether or not you agree with all of the actions of said "hero". Unlike Inglorious Basterds, this film was less dialogue and more action. The painful dynamic of silence into a bloodbath was replaced with some pretty disturbing imagery (the wrestling and dog scenes) and shocking reminder of how things were in the past. The violence is there as it always is, but the constant use of the "n word" was something a lot of people couldn't stomach. I had some friends tell me how uncomfortable some people watching it, but when I watched all of it was redeemed whenever a slave owner was shot to death and the whole theater would erupt in a cheer. Man, we're savages, but sometimes it's good to get that out of our system. I wanted to cheer whenever Leonardo DiCaprio would come onto the screen because his facial hair is so funny (I mean, this coming from a guy who looks like he glues his awkward shoulder hair to his face to make a makeshift beard. I didn't just admit I have shoulder hair...). He's a serious actor, but he still looks like a little kid wearing an adult costume all the time.

All in all, I really enjoyed watching Django Unchained. It was entertaining and kept me captivated. As a usually dialogue driven person, I didn't find it as strong as Quentin Tarantino's other work, but it got the job done. Jamie Foxx did a great job, but as expected, Christoph Waltz stole the show. Also, wait for Quentin's part. I think he just really wanted to play it and everyone had to agree because, well, it's his movie. Also I'll leave you with the thought that I considered abbreviating his name instead of spelling it out the whole time, but then I'd be saying QT every ten words... and everyone knows that name was already claimed by the smallest member of the 90s boy band, 2gether. This ending just got me a job with Rolling Stone.
02:50 PM on 01/25/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Loved this movie
03:13 PM on 01/25/13
ChaseTx
Still need to see this thing
03:47 PM on 01/25/13
EatShit182
Misanthrope
User Info.
Django Unchained > Inglorious Basterds

Even when it comes to dialogue.
03:58 PM on 01/25/13
permanentdan
User Info.
Haha nice
04:36 PM on 01/25/13
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
Review Death Race 3 next!
04:50 PM on 01/25/13
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
Django Unchained > Inglorious Basterds

Even when it comes to dialogue.
no one believes me when I say this. IB was such a mess
05:17 PM on 01/25/13
trevorshmevor
User Info.
I was very surprised by this movie, Tarantino's work is typically not really in my taste. I also laughed at the imagery of Jono looking into the bathroom mirror, carefully and strategically clipping off shoulder hair and gluing it to his face.
06:15 PM on 01/25/13
Mr Hox182
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did Jono just name drop 2Gether?

Respect.
06:32 PM on 01/25/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
07:17 PM on 01/25/13
ChaseTx
no one believes me when I say this. IB was such a mess
I loved IB
07:29 PM on 01/25/13
cody_rosebalm
User Info.
I love Tarantino's work.
07:33 PM on 01/25/13
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
This movie was fucking incredible.
08:22 PM on 01/25/13
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
I liked it a lot as well, it just felt really disjointed, like QT didn't know where he wanted to go with it. He had all these great characters that went to waste
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests