AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:58 AM on 04/14/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
They've gotten better with each release IMO. From Under The Cork Tree is probably the most consistent throughout, but it's definitely the least ambitious of their albums, so it's understandable. I'd argue that any song on FUTCT is better than every song on Take This To Your Grave, FUTCT always just seemed like a straight-up progression of the TTTYG sound to me. My favorite is Infinity on High, my least favorite is TTTYG. Folie a Deux only grew on me after the reunion, so it's the most difficult to rank. (God, it's weird to think that I can remember a time when there was only FUTCT and TTTYG.)

If I had to rank it,
IOH > FAD = SRAR >FUTCT >TTTYG >>>>> Evening Out.

Maybe SRAR will move up, I'm waiting on the preorder to come in to really judge it, but I really like it.

Song wise, I'd say that Headfirst Slide and Save Rock and Roll are my favorites, and w.a.m.s., Grenade Jumper, and The Mighty Fall are my least favorites.
01:14 PM on 04/14/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
I don't want to start a debate, but how are so many people putting FAD first?

Like, I kind of want people to explain their love for it. I won't respond back in a negative way, in fact I probably won't respond at all. I am just really curious why so many people like it so much. I literally can't comprehend how people can put that record in front of any other FOB record, minus Evening Out. Seriously, please give me some insight into your love for it. I won't argue with you. Simply curious.

Folie a Deux used to be my least favorite until I started listening to FOB a lot when they announced they were coming back, now I think it's unmatched as their best work (not my favorite, the best.) In some interview, Patrick said that the guest vocals on that album are supposed to be like actors playing different roles in a musical. That's the way you have to think of it. The whole album plays out like a really over-the-top musical. It's huge, epic, and (for lack of a better word) silly. They tried a bunch of new stuff that broke the typical genre mold, like the ZZ Top inspired riff in I Don't Care and the bouncy piano and horns in 20 Dollar Nose Bleed. Folie went all out on the pop sound, knowing the TTTYG fans would hate it, and I can dig that.

Without question, Headfirst Slide into Cooperstown on a Bad Bet, (Coffee's for Closers), and Disloyal Order of Water Buffalos are among FOB's best songs; they're all extremely well written, with insane vocals and unbelievable hooks. I think if CFC was pushed as a single instead of America's Suitehearts or I Don't Care, the album would have been much more successful and would have had a better fan response. IMHO, those 3, What a Catch Donnie, and 20 Dollar Nose Bleed are the essential tracks, w.a.m.s, Suitehearts, and West Coast Smoker are skippable, and everything else feels right and necessary in context of the album.

Hope that's a help. It's a tough album to get into, I hated it so much until recently.
08:54 PM on 04/14/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
Suddenly I can't get enough of "Rat a Tat."

Good to see some love for this song, it's been one of my favorites since my first listen. Genreal consensus seems against it.
05:58 PM on 04/15/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
Mine shipped as well. Modern Vinyl's reporting that it's 2x10". Pretty awesome. Only other 2x10" I have is The Front Bottoms.
09:21 PM on 04/16/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
Rat a Tat is one of favorites on the album.

1. Save Rock and Roll
2. Rat a Tat
3. Phoenix
4. Alone Together
5. Miss Missing You
6. Young Volcanoes
7. My Songs...
8. Just One Yesterday
9. Where Did The Party Go?
10. The Mighty Fall
11. Death Valley

Courtney's parts are really reminscent of Pete's old monologues in FUCT and Folie. I could do without the "it's Courtney, bitch" and she probably could have sung a little tighter to the rhythm of the song in the bridge, but all in all I think she nailed it. Her sneering voice is perfect for the lyrics.
I've seen a lot of love for Death Valley that I don't get. I think it's just annoying. The constant, loud beat is just grating, not to mention the dubstep part. Easily the worst on the album and very low in FOB's discography to me.
09:07 PM on 04/18/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
Listened to the second half in the car today, which made me want to listen to Folie, and after Headfirst Slide, I put on TTTYG. What a god damned consistent band. Not a single album I don't like.
10:51 PM on 05/03/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
I don't think it will be anything like that set. No way they'd go that heavy on new stuff.
03:41 PM on 08/12/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
That's John Mayer playing.
06:55 AM on 08/13/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
In the recorded version. I was talking about the show I watched live, Joe took over Mayer's part and killed it. Dude's guitar skills are amazing.

Ohhh, alright. My bad dude. I've never seen that song live, but Joe is definitely massively underrated.
11:53 AM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
I'm hoping the ending is magnificent. 11 parts is a stretch to keep everyone's attention.

I've loved it so far though.
11:49 PM on 09/12/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
I didn't like Death Valley until I heard it live.
05:51 PM on 07/14/14 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
Wasn't huge on New Politics but I thought it was cool that they're from Denmark and I can see them getting Twenty One Pilots-esque success.
05:35 PM on 09/10/14 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
How can you take a song like Alone Together or Where Did The Party Go and call that mediocre? SRAR is full of very well-written pop songs; I think a lot of the criticism comes from people who just don't like that type of music.

3rd favorite FOB album, behind Infinity on High (mostly nostalgic) and Folie.
01:14 PM on 09/11/14 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
Never understood how anyone can prefer TTTYG to FUTCT. Cork Tree just takes the sound of TTTYG and does it immensely better imo, in terms of songwriting, production, and general song quality.
11:17 AM on 09/12/14 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
If we're talking non-album tracks, "Lake Effect Kid" is where it's at.

I back this so hard. I wish that song got the re-recording treatment instead of Alpha Dog.

They played part of it live during their initial reunion shows during the medley with Honorable Mention, Suitehearts, and Alpha Dog and it was perfect. I'd love to see that song get a full version.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos