Password

Album Review
You, Me, and Everyone We Know - A Great Big Hole Album Cover

You, Me, and Everyone We Know - A Great Big Hole

Reviewed by
You, Me, and Everyone We Know - A Great Big Hole
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: November 27, 2012
A year and a half ago, it seemed like Ben Liebsch lost it all.

Every member of his band, You, Me, and Everyone We Know, left after stating the lead vocalist Liebsch was a raging alcoholic and unbearable to work with. The bright future of the young band evaporated into the air as fans assumed that was the last of You, Me, and Everyone We Know.

After being sober for a year and eight months, Liebsch has come back to the music scene in an unexpected way. Playing under the name of You, Me, and Everyone We Know, Liebsch has just released a new EP titled A Great Big Hole.

A Great Big Hole works as a three-part story describing Leisbch’s rise and fall. The title track, “A Great Big Hole,” is a mid-tempo tune that kicks the EP off in unique fashion, as it doesn’t have the energetic You, Me, and Everyone We Know sound.

Filled with references to lyrics from previous albums, Liesbch tells the story of how alcoholism cost him everything in a moving, three-minute burst. As Liesbch sings the smooth, charming chorus, it’s easy to tell he is a remorseful man ready to make up for his mistakes.

While the opening song lacked energy, the second track, “I’m Alright” brings a quick spurt of emotion. The punky, urgent track fits in well with the back catalog of You, Me, and Everyone We Know and allows Leisbch to declare that he is okay and over his issues for the first time in a while. Some fans may find disappointment and discontent with the short track, but it’s a needed interlude that helps to move the EP along.

“Coming Up Short” may be the last track on the EP, but it’s the best song A Great Big Hole has to offer. Starting out with a simple, strummed guitar, “Coming Up Short” quickly turns into a typical You, Me, and Everyone We Know song that will please fans with ease. The fantastic track is full of quirky, tongue-in-cheek lyrics, rocking guitars, gang vocals, and an extremely catchy chorus – all qualities for which the band has become known and loved.

Leisbch’s return to music may have been a long, tumultuous road with a few speedbumps, but it’s great to see such a talented musician get back on his feet again. He’s shown that he can still write killer, fun tunes even when singing about his life struggles.

The only thing disappointing about A Great Big Hole is the shortness of the EP, because it leaves fans wanting more and salivating at the thought of a new You, Me, and Everyone We Know. Overall, it’s a huge triumph as it shows every fantastic quality that You, Me, and Everyone We Know has to offer while opening a new chapter for the band.

A Great Big Hole is the best EP to be released this year and for Liesbch, it’s a gigantic step forward declaring he isn't the man he used to be. That fact alone should give fans goosebumps for the future.

Recommended If You LikeSay Anything; Valencia; catchy pop-rock
This review is a user submitted review from whitelightning7. You can see all of whitelightning7's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version