AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Don’t Call It A Comeback - A Little Bit Softer... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 6.08
Production 6
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.83
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Average: 60%

Don’t Call It A Comeback - A Little Bit Softer...

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (02/05/13)
Don’t Call It A ComebackA Little Bit Softer (Acoustic EP)
Record Label: None
Release Date: February 1, 2013

Don’t Call It A Comeback may not really bring anything new to the pop-rock table, but for the time being, that’s fine with me. The young, unharnessed sound of their first EP, Something Worth Fighting For, led them to a stint on Warped Tour 2011, and based on A Little Bit Softer, there’s an even brighter future ahead of them.

Only having four acoustic songs, A Little Bit Softer showcases a different side to the guys. The imagery and simplicity about “Alright I’ll go to Hell Then” reminds me of easy-going times. When the guitar slows and vocalist Cody Almond sings, “Setting fireworks off in the neighbor’s yard / Trying our best to ignite some kind of spark,” I’m right there with him. I see the street, the night, the light from the fireworks. The straightforwardness of the song makes the images work – there’s no distractions here.

“Five to One” is sure to be a favorite around these parts. Almond sounds rough and near his breaking point, with his pronunciation of the last syllables of verses giving each lyric weight. Think of a combination between parts of The Dangerous Summer and parts of The Story So Far. Moreover, the words “If I’m just a liar / Then you’re just a fake / I’ll be a lion / And you’ll be the prey,” immediately made me think of Yellowcard’s “Lights and Sounds.” Clearly, there’s something about these guys that draws from a variety of influences in the genre, which is never a bad thing.

For only having four tracks, A Little Bit Softer covers a fair amount of ground for Don’t Call It A Comeback. We see them in ballad form with “Most of the Sex in my Life Wasn't as Personal as That First Kiss (Seventh Street),” while we experience rigid vocals on “Five to One.” Be on the look out for these guys throughout the year, as they’ve already begun to cover a fair amount of ground the last couple years.

7/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Alright I'll go to Hell Then (Acoustic)
2. Five to One (Acoustic)
3. Most of the Sex in my Life Wasn't as Personal as That First Kiss (Seventh Street) (Acoustic)
4. About Staying (Acoustic)

Don’t Call It A Comeback is:
Cody Almond – Vocals/Guitar
Nathanial Allbright- Drums
Marven Mendoza- Bass/Vocals
Andy Morgan – Guitar
AJ Patiag – Guitar

Free on Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
08:50 PM on 02/07/13
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
Great EP, it's all I've been listening to this week really.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS