Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
06:48 AM on 02/09/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
Gotta be honest, I am a little afraid that there's a "glass ceiling" so to speak in terms of how far this site can penetrate the mainstream due to the name. I mean, I'm not advocating a name change necessarily (what I think matters none anyway) since the name recognition the site does have can't be taken for granted, but there's a limit I think to how many people are willing to legitimately recognize a site called AbsolutePunk as a source of music news and criticism.

Which is too bad, but that's just the way it is.
Actually, this is more because the quality of reviews and content on the site is just lower. You can't really blame this on branding.
06:49 AM on 02/09/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
I hope this site finds a hip hop reviewer who can discuss the music, culture and scope of the genre and lifestyle and foster open-mindedness in the majority of users so that everyone comes away from discussions more educated and enlightened towards things they (and the website) have been largely ignorant to, eventually weeding out almost (if not all) of the racism/classism/sexism that's often exhibited by people unfamiliar with art that lies outside of their (almost always white/male) personal worldview.
most ridiculous sentence of the day
06:51 AM on 02/09/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
I like how Denning is able to epitomize everything we explained was wrong with the site in one post. Good work.
Yeah, exactly the opposite of what this site needs to do is start writing about Dj Jazzy Jeff or whatever and thinking they have anything relevant to say about it. It would literally just be "this is culturally important because..." "I'd really recommend this..." "I really like the bit on this album when..."

In short: the way to approach music criticism is not through any sort of canon. Quite the opposite, really.
08:48 AM on 02/10/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
I mean I wouldn't say ignoring the canon is entirely beneficial
Not really what I said (at all)
06:11 AM on 02/11/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
You said the opposite of any sort of canon
Yeah. I don't think music should be approached through a canon. Not really the same as ignoring it altogether.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS