Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 22 posts
12:33 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I wish I had reviewing interests. I love to write and think I'm a good writer, but have no enthusiasm toward being a critic.

Good luck to the applicants! Hope whoever is selected is passionate.
I wish this too
12:39 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
May give it a shot, still. What is the vision for something like number of reviews per month, news posts per day, etc.? I know there's probably no minimum or maximum requirements, but more what you had in mind as Senior Editor. You can PM me if that'd be better.
really looking for someone to cover the bigger hip hop releases as well as up and coming artists, a good mixture, maybe 4-6 reviews a month depending on what's releasing. I'm more concerned about the review part, if they find enough time to post hip hop news that's great too.
12:40 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
The link isn't working for me
the email link? it works for me
12:56 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
former staffer who got fired after he had a meltdown.
not true
12:56 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Yeah the "here" link. When I click it it doesn't give me an type of response, and when I open it in a new tab its an untitled page.
it should open in your email client
12:59 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
edited. Am i thinking of someone else or just remembering it being worse than it was?
he didn't meltdown. He just didn't agree with a few things on the site. It's something I don't really want to talk about haha
01:40 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
What's your deadline? I can take a stab at it, don't have any reviews ready to go though
within the week
02:47 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
within the week
05:22 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Yeah I mean I'm just being negative and nitpicky.
Any more hip hop on this site is good news, though I doubt it will change much of the general site's opinion on the topic. Reviews still won't be read/commented on and it'll be like 10 of us in the newsposts as usual
jesus christ, nothing is ever good enough for you. we've had plenty of hip hop reviews that have sparked discussion amongst more than 10 users. But continue to be be negative about everything ever. fuck trying to change things it won't work out anyways!!!!
05:28 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Yeah I can't remember the last review on this site that I read and actually cared about. Much more interested in talking about it with people than only seeing one person's opinion and then some arbitrary score plastered on
you know discussion like that can happen in the review posts, right?
05:29 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I mean yeah they'll be better than you so thats a plus!
I'll probably ban you soon.
05:40 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I never said it couldn't. Most of the discussion (and the most interesting part for me) happens in the General forum thread, though.

I'm not saying reviews are useless or anything, I'm just saying I personally don't hold any more weight to them than I do to someone whose opinion I respect discussing the album in General. I don't believe that albums should be one and done reviewed. I think that they can be picked apart and people's opinions can change over time. And while the initial review by a staff member is a good starting point, I think the staffers become super defensive of their writing and it becomes more of an attack than a discussion.

At least from what I've seen on here, anyway
that's fine, you don't have to give reviews any more weight than someone else's opinion you trust. But the review is a good jumping point for discussion, especially for those who don't interact in the general forums. The review thread is a place for everyone to discuss an album together and pick it apart. People will become super defensive about their writing depending on how it's picked apart. Just being respectful about it usually leads to good discussion.
et tu, sensitive sally? Don't think I said anything to genuinely or directly offend you
I'm just sick of your general negative attitude. You're one of the most outspoken on the site about everything's that wrong but you don't do anything to change that.
05:47 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
To be fair Drew most people that check this site do have incredibly backwards opinions regarding hiphop and I doubt it'll ever change.
See, I have been on this long enough to remember when posting about anything about hip-hop on this site brought really backwards opinions and racism and horrible things. After I was hired as staff in 2005, I brought over the first ever hip-hop reviewer for the site and he wrote a few hip hop reviews which were excellent but the response to them were horrible and he ended up quitting because he couldn't handle that response, which was totally fair for him to. It was outrageously bad here. But it didn't stop me, I kept reviewing hip hop here and there over the years and some other staffers followed suit. Slowly but surely the site's outlook did an 180 on the genre, and having Ian on the site for that short time did wonders as well, and Dre - with the few hip hop reviews she has done - has also been a great part of it.

But I have seen it get better over the course of the last 8 years I've been here. It's still far from perfect but it's been a night and day difference between the site RE: hip hop in 2005 to what it is now. I believe getting someone to just focus on the genre and write hip hop reviews consistently will only improve it. I'm not going to throw my hands up and give up and not try like Star Slight.
Yeah my point is that it'll be the same group of people talking about an album regardless of who the reviewer is

Unless it's like you or Tate

Dre is a great reviewer and posts a lot of news for the genre without a lot of feedback. This isn't going to change the website at all
you have no idea what you are talking about
Like AP could have the most thought provoking review of a hip hop album ever and someone will quote it to a hip hop head and they'll be like yo where'd you hear that and as soon as you say absolutepunk.net the conversation is over

well that's too bad, it's not going to stop me from trying.
05:49 PM on 02/06/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
You pretty much just restated what I said in your first paragraph

I'm pretty outspoken on this issue and I have absolutely no power to change it aside from fostering discussion about the genre, which I do on a regular basis and get called out for. This site cannot change just because I'm bringing up discussions. The attitude of the majority of the staff needs to fit the attitude that you're trying to go for with whatever you're trying to do, in my opinion anyway. A new staffer who no one is familiar with isn't going to hold the same weight that Tate or Nassiff or someone who reviews solely pop punk albums does, and those dudes all tend to have the worst opinions on this type of music. And you know that and you've said yourself that you don't even argue with them anymore. If people saw you taking a stand and saying something, because I know you disagree, then maybe it would change something.

But seeing me argue with them and having them skirt questions and avoid topics and throw out points and call me an idiot doesn't change anything, it validates the general newsposters ignorant viewpoints about the genre
you have such a abrasive/attacking tone in your discussions about hip-hop that novices to the genre aren't going to want to discuss it with you.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos