AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 47 posts.
01:30 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Theres about 3 or 4 dudes on the site whod do a good job at this. And they probably wont get it
01:55 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
real talk i'd love to see you two and sean apply for this. i lurk certain threads and i really enjoy reading your insight into things.

That'd never happen if i applied
02:17 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
the boss might not like you but there is no denying you know your shit.
I'd be willing to bet that he and others on this site would disagree with that statement.

Regardless, I was never a strong reviewer. I could analyze cultural context as well as the content of an album, but I'm not up to the task of assigning it with a score or trying to talk about how "good" or "bad" something is.
02:49 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
fair enough. i really do enjoy reading your posts on the subject though!

I mean if the site was looking for an analyst I'd be interested but reviews are different
03:15 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
lets take a vote everyone should i submit something
03:36 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Since when has this site reviewed anything with critical analysis over personal opinion?
It hasn't that's the point
04:54 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Thread wasn't as entertaining as I thought it'd be, but maybe it's just picking up.
No one's voicing their negative opinions about anyone. Should I make an offensive claim that everyone gets mad about?
05:04 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
nah, don't force it. Maybe talking about it not happening abstractly will be enough to get people disagreeing about something.

Hope they pick this person carefully, will be turning a lot of high school kids onto their first favorite rappers.
I honestly don't think that they're going to find a good choice for a hip hop reviewer on the site. A lot of the hip hop heads on here are either narrow minded and fixed on one idea of what hip hop should be, or they're inexperienced trend jumpers who hate being called that.

And I mean this is my favorite faction of people on the site, I'm just being honest. It's hard to find a happy medium and still come out with someone who can write a decent review and be critical/knowledgeable all at the same time

Or they're the best like me but the owner of the site hates them
05:14 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
I mean the best way to keep it not narrow-minded would be posting a lot of news, but for a site where hip-hop really isn't the focus that seems more unrealistic. There is a chance that you can have a well rounded set of reviews from a versatile group of artists. but its much more likely to be one guy posting about a few rappers who sound pretty similar and never really branching out.

But hey, that's a start even from barely anything to a little bit of something. It really is a good opportunity to get a lot of kids into a new kind of music, hope there's someone who can bring a good perspective to it.
Yeah I mean I'm just being negative and nitpicky.
Any more hip hop on this site is good news, though I doubt it will change much of the general site's opinion on the topic. Reviews still won't be read/commented on and it'll be like 10 of us in the newsposts as usual
05:22 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
I soured pretty hard on reviews in general and haven't read one on this site in a looooong time. But posting some new releases in the news posts can do some good, even if they aren't that popular of posts. I found Wale through this site on a news post posted just cause of the Seinfeld thing, but that led me to his older mixtape and a lot of great music. Shit, even if its just a couple rappers being talked about, its a jumping off point. Can't be bad, could be better, but can't be worse than what we have now.
Yeah I can't remember the last review on this site that I read and actually cared about. Much more interested in talking about it with people than only seeing one person's opinion and then some arbitrary score plastered on
05:23 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
jesus christ, nothing is ever good enough for you. we've had plenty of hip hop reviews that have sparked discussion amongst more than 10 users. But continue to be be negative about everything ever. fuck trying to change things it won't work out anyways!!!!
I mean yeah they'll be better than you so thats a plus!
05:31 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
you know discussion like that can happen in the review posts, right?
I never said it couldn't. Most of the discussion (and the most interesting part for me) happens in the General forum thread, though.

I'm not saying reviews are useless or anything, I'm just saying I personally don't hold any more weight to them than I do to someone whose opinion I respect discussing the album in General. I don't believe that albums should be one and done reviewed. I think that they can be picked apart and people's opinions can change over time. And while the initial review by a staff member is a good starting point, I think the staffers become super defensive of their writing and it becomes more of an attack than a discussion.

At least from what I've seen on here, anyway
05:32 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
I'll probably ban you soon.
et tu, sensitive sally? Don't think I said anything to genuinely or directly offend you
05:35 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Yeah my point is that it'll be the same group of people talking about an album regardless of who the reviewer is

Unless it's like you or Tate

Dre is a great reviewer and posts a lot of news for the genre without a lot of feedback. This isn't going to change the website at all
05:39 PM on 02/06/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Like AP could have the most thought provoking review of a hip hop album ever and someone will quote it to a hip hop head and they'll be like yo where'd you hear that and as soon as you say absolutepunk.net the conversation is over
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests