phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Do the right thing and give it to Jake.
07:37 PM on 02/06/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
This doesn't really have anything to do with hip hop, but seeing as it turned into ways to improve the site, may as well chuck my opinion in.

I'd like to see more features/editorials/whatever about older music. There's lots of people on this site that just don't listen to anything pre-90s. And it's not just ignorant pop punk kids, there are some people on here who generally like really good music, but I never ever see them talk about anything 'old'.

I'd like to see some sort of weekly feature where different staff take a sub-genre of music, or a specific time period, or a label or whatever and talk about some great bands or albums. The Thursday discussions did that, but it turned into, 'best early 2000s Victory records bands!!!', which has been done to death on this site. I'd like to see features about the best pre-war blues music, or the best anarcho punk bands of the 70s, or even something much more accessible, like best Motown artists.

That way, you're actually introducing people to new artists, rather than re-hashing the same old stuff. Kids who like The Wonder Years would probably dig Descendents and Adolescents if they were shown them. People who were big on Frank Ocean would probably love Curtis Mayfield or Sam Cooke. Japandroids fans would probably love The Stooges or The Replacements. I think introducing people to new, older music they may not hear otherwise would be a really good thing.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'd love a weekly feature focusing on something like that.
This is a fantastic idea. I'd actually love to do something similar to this.
07:40 PM on 02/06/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
lets take a vote everyone should i submit something
You definitely know what you're talking about and I'd be interested seeing your writing "voice."
11:13 AM on 02/08/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
And yep denning ruined a good idea.
02:46 PM on 02/10/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
does anybody want to come and do this for made of chalk?

Sure why not

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version