Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 13
Displaying posts 180 - 195 of 261.
10:10 PM on 02/06/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I don't think this post really ended up going the way it was intended to, but there is a lot of good discussion here on making legitimate improvements for the tone of the whole site. Hope it gets the ball rolling and carries over into actual change. Progress takes time, but branching out a narrow music would be worth it.
11:39 PM on 02/06/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
Keep in mind the listers most likely listen to like Three Days Grace and Hinder and this

Oh yeah duh, Kyle.
I'd say hire better staff is the better option
I'd say we have a pretty good staff here. Also, all it takes to spark a discussion is one or two comments, I think being optimistic about what could happen is a much better route than just slamming it.
04:57 AM on 02/07/13
Star Slight
User Info.
was that posted on the site? was it posted from the AP twitter account? Was it tagged with AP? Jason founded the site, that doesn't mean he's not allowed to have an opinion.

Youre missing the entire point and this is part of the problem
04:58 AM on 02/07/13
Star Slight
User Info.
I'd say we have a pretty good staff here. Also, all it takes to spark a discussion is one or two comments, I think being optimistic about what could happen is a much better route than just slamming it.

We dont but stay positive, man. Better than I
06:12 AM on 02/07/13
anamericangod
User Info.
This thread ended up being far more interesting than anticipated.
06:34 AM on 02/07/13
Freud
User Info.
drews reviews were good when he used to do them
07:10 AM on 02/07/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Honestly, SS you would shit if you saw what used to happen a few years ago.

I was so happy when Ian started reviewing - still don't know what happened to that dude - and then Dre came along.

But let's be real, there are hip hop blogs that you can follow. I do. I'm not gonna try to convince some kid in a pop punk thread that they're a fucking idiot because of their opinion of hip hop amd then proceed to tell them to go get a copy of Low End Theory. I don't expect any of these changes to be made. There are maybe 6 users I can trust about hip hop on this site - almost all of whom were commenting in this thread.

Would love to see some old music features tho that don't include The Boss.
07:13 AM on 02/07/13
Star Slight
User Info.
I mean its irrelevant how it was years ago if theres still a negative stigma promoted today. Saying Id be okay with what is happening now because it was worse then is silly.
07:20 AM on 02/07/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I'm just saying there is a pretty clear, defining shift.

I completely agree with you about the influence staff can have tho. You have kids coming out of the pop punk woodwork because Jason was all about POS. I never ever thought - especially being from Minneapolis - that I'd see Stef or Doomtree getting the coverage they have had on this site in the last couple years. I should say that it was probably Eda more than Jason pushing them in the end.
07:22 AM on 02/07/13
Star Slight
User Info.
I mean theres been a huge shift in the last 3 years on the forums. Look at twy thread kids

Yeah Eda played a big role in that too
07:26 AM on 02/07/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Ive never even been in there.

And i still kinda hate you for not quoting.
07:31 AM on 02/07/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
oh yeah and i wish kidinthebushes was banned already
07:34 AM on 02/07/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I honestly don't think that they're going to find a good choice for a hip hop reviewer on the site. A lot of the hip hop heads on here are either narrow minded and fixed on one idea of what hip hop should be, or they're inexperienced trend jumpers who hate being called that.

And I mean this is my favorite faction of people on the site, I'm just being honest. It's hard to find a happy medium and still come out with someone who can write a decent review and be critical/knowledgeable all at the same time

Or they're the best like me but the owner of the site hates them
Quoting a post from a while back here, but I kind of agree with this. If it's someone that everyone who already talks about hip-hop here already knows, then you're just going to have that same group of kids discussing the album in the review thread (as opposed to the album thread) because you're all already friends. Plus you'll have a few other kids interested enough in the record at hand to discuss it as well. I'm not really sure that promotes aggressive change like the site would need in this field. It's hard to find a person to do this because it's a significant commitment, both mentally and time-wise, and I think to be very effective, Drew would probably have to go pick someone off another site (or someone who runs their own blog) who already posts news and reviews regularly. That's kind of a whole different process to go through and it's a lot more intensive than reading a few reviews that are sent to his inbox. The person would need a voice that tells people they know what they're talking about, but isn't so exclusive that it would turn off people who have absolutely no background with the genre. The downside to that is I'm not sure how the already tight-knit faction of people on here discussing hip-hop would respond to someone brand-new and unknown coming onto the site to review the genre. At first it seems like a lose/lose situation so I understand your attitude toward it, but I think it's fair to say that all change at one point seemed impossible to get going.

Also, to respond to another post you made where you mentioned me and how I mainly review pop-punk and you said I had a bad attitude toward hip-hop...not all of that is necessarily untrue but I'm just not invested enough to treat hip-hop like I do other genres. That isn't something exclusionary and I'll explain what I mean. You know this well: Becoming extremely familiar with a genre, to the point that you feel comfortable writing about it and comparing current music to other current music as well as older music, is not something that happens overnight. You have to be an active listener and analyst of that genre for a great deal of time to become effective. I have a few areas where I feel comfortable doing this, whereas in hip-hop I am just a casual listener who mainly takes recommendations instead of seeking out new things. I don't have a bad attitude toward the genre (although in your eyes this mindset might seem like a bad attitude), I just don't have the time to become an active listener of all types of music. Considering I don't get paid to be a music critic, I feel this is a fair justification of my habits. I write about what I feel like writing about when I feel like writing about it. When I was in that Facebook group with Jake, I would listen to most every song or artist he recommended but often I wouldn't even contribute to the discussion. It's just not my area. I may check out a new record and like it a lot (I really enjoyed the Kendrick Lamar record although that feels like an obvious choice to bring up - again, I am a casual listener and only the things that generate the most buzz will usually nab my attention) and just not actively discuss it because I feel out of place doing so. This isn't something that I feel I need to "work on" either - it's just how I am.
07:39 AM on 02/07/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
There are literally ten users who i see posting about hip hop regularly, who actually know what they're talking about and aren't trying to clog shit up ie Who Is Ryan? and Qud.
07:42 AM on 02/07/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
There are literally ten users who i see posting about hip hop regularly, who actually know what they're talking about and aren't trying to clog shit up ie Who Is Ryan? and Qud.
Kinda the point of my first paragraph Holly.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests