Username
Password

Comments: Page 17
Displaying posts 240 - 255 of 261
07:51 AM on 02/09/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
I like how Denning is able to epitomize everything we explained was wrong with the site in one post. Good work.
Yeah, exactly the opposite of what this site needs to do is start writing about Dj Jazzy Jeff or whatever and thinking they have anything relevant to say about it. It would literally just be "this is culturally important because..." "I'd really recommend this..." "I really like the bit on this album when..."

In short: the way to approach music criticism is not through any sort of canon. Quite the opposite, really.
08:38 AM on 02/09/13
sharpie_77
I am on the mend.
User Info.
Anyone know when this offer closes up?
12:12 PM on 02/09/13
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
"Our staff is good because Im optimistic about it."
12:27 PM on 02/09/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Yeah, exactly the opposite of what this site needs to do is start writing about Dj Jazzy Jeff or whatever and thinking they have anything relevant to say about it. It would literally just be "this is culturally important because..." "I'd really recommend this..." "I really like the bit on this album when..."

In short: the way to approach music criticism is not through any sort of canon. Quite the opposite, really.
I mean I wouldn't say ignoring the canon is entirely beneficial
09:48 AM on 02/10/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
I mean I wouldn't say ignoring the canon is entirely beneficial
Not really what I said (at all)
09:58 AM on 02/10/13
Star Slight
User Info.
Not really what I said (at all)
You said the opposite of any sort of canon
03:28 PM on 02/10/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
This doesn't really have anything to do with hip hop, but seeing as it turned into ways to improve the site, may as well chuck my opinion in.

I'd like to see more features/editorials/whatever about older music. There's lots of people on this site that just don't listen to anything pre-90s. And it's not just ignorant pop punk kids, there are some people on here who generally like really good music, but I never ever see them talk about anything 'old'.

I'd like to see some sort of weekly feature where different staff take a sub-genre of music, or a specific time period, or a label or whatever and talk about some great bands or albums. The Thursday discussions did that, but it turned into, 'best early 2000s Victory records bands!!!', which has been done to death on this site. I'd like to see features about the best pre-war blues music, or the best anarcho punk bands of the 70s, or even something much more accessible, like best Motown artists.

That way, you're actually introducing people to new artists, rather than re-hashing the same old stuff. Kids who like The Wonder Years would probably dig Descendents and Adolescents if they were shown them. People who were big on Frank Ocean would probably love Curtis Mayfield or Sam Cooke. Japandroids fans would probably love The Stooges or The Replacements. I think introducing people to new, older music they may not hear otherwise would be a really good thing.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'd love a weekly feature focusing on something like that.
does anybody want to come and do this for made of chalk?
03:34 PM on 02/10/13
Star Slight
User Info.
sure
03:35 PM on 02/10/13
georgedcc
User Info.
does anybody want to come and do this for made of chalk?
Isn't Chris (Cshadows) doing something for MOC? He'd be the perfect person for that sort of lists/features. Unless I'm mistaken and he isn't doing anything for the site.

I'd have a go though, if you need somebody, but like everybody else, I have a fair few musical blind spots. This sort of thing might be better with a small team.
03:36 PM on 02/10/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Isn't Chris (Cshadows) doing something for MOC? He'd be the perfect person for that sort of lists/features. Unless I'm mistaken and he isn't doing anything for the site.

I'd have a go though, if you need somebody, but like everybody else, I have a fair few musical blind spots.
Don't think he is
03:38 PM on 02/10/13
georgedcc
User Info.
Oh, my bad. For some reason I thought he was. Not sure why though...

He'd be pretty good at that sort of thing though, I reckon. I'm looking forward to reading what you and Craig and whoever else end up doing with that sort of thing on AP, also!
03:39 PM on 02/10/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Oh, my bad. For some reason I thought he was. Not sure why though...

He'd be pretty good at that sort of thing though, I reckon. I'm looking forward to reading what you and Craig and whoever else end up doing with that sort of thing on AP, also!
Yeah man, hopefully we'll roll the first one out later this week
03:40 PM on 02/10/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
he is
03:41 PM on 02/10/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Welp shows how much I know haha. That's awesome though
03:41 PM on 02/10/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
wanna hit me here: thomas at madeofchalk.com ?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos