AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Before You - 02.06.13

Interviewed by
Before You - 02.06.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Before You

http://beforeyourock.com
www.facebook.com/beforeyourock
www.twitter.com/beforeyourock
http://beforeyourock.tumblr.com

1. How did you get your band name?

When I (Philip Arena) was down at school in Florida in 2009, I contacted Bret (Pusateri) stating that I thought we should re-arrange some of our songs from our band that we were in together 7 years previous, called “Second Before the Crash” in addition to writing new material. I knew that I wanted to keep something from the old name but have a different feel and have it be a multi-faceted name. It can mean a number of things and I dig that it can mean something different to any individual who hears or sees it.

2. How did this band get started?

(cont. from above) So, Bret came down to Florida and we started working on our songs acoustic and when I graduated and came home, we did the same. We later came across this amazing drummer (Jason Capela), through a friend and just needed a lead guitar. Jed Dixon was playing in a band with our good friends and decided to take on the challenge of joining us and that is how Before You was born.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Huge influences of ours range anywhere from Hot Rod Circuit, The Swellers, New Found Glory, Blink 182, to Jimmy Eat World.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

If I could tour with any bands, it would probably be The Swellers, Transit, Misser and New Found Glory as a headliner. Mainly, because that would be one of the tightest line-up’s I have ever heard of and I would truly enjoy hanging with all of those dudes. Also, I enjoy all of their music, so I could absolutely deal with hearing it every night of a long tour. It would probably be the time of our lives.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Well, since I have only been out on very small tours, I have limited experience but one of the best meals I had on tour was at a truck stop diner in Huntington, West Virginia. It was cheap as heck and freaking delicious.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

People should listen to our band because our music is honest, heartfelt and without filler. Modern music is cluttered with bands and artists who are just churning out these cookie-cutter formula songs that make me sick. Not just the music itself but the fact that they seem so lyrically empty and not genuine. It’s very disheartening. When I can hear someone’s emotion in a song and I can tell that they actually spent time writing meaningful lyrics, I can get on board.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Probably Manti Te’o because his girlfriend is so hot.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

If I won a Grammy, I would obviously thank my parents for putting me here on Earth and supporting my every move in and outside of music. My beautiful wife who has the biggest heart of anyone I know and has stood by me through everything. Also, anyone who has supported our music over the years, there would be no Grammy without the support of fans.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

If I could change anything in the music industry, I would change the way that politics dictate how successful you are and not sheer talent. Not that talent has nothing to do with it but the fact that politics are weighted heavier.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Oh man, probably when Bret and I were playing wiffle ball in a hotel parking lot in Kentucky and hit the ball on the roof. When we climbed up to retrieve it, our drummer, at the time, came to see what we were up to. When we were nowhere to be found, he thought we had been abducted in a strange farm town. We weren’t.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net means a lot to me. I have discovered a lot of new talent and heard a lot of awesome songs that I wouldn’t have heard otherwise through the exclusive streams and features on the site.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Bad Habits and the Sunshine State

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

The Mountains

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

I grew up listening to a lot of Classic Rock, through my parents. I would have to say Steely Dan is the most nostalgic for me.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

If being able to see the winning lottery numbers before they were drawn was a super power, I’d take that, for self-explanatory reasons.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

We like to say a prayer before our set.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I played baseball from the age of 5 through the age of 18.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

The current state of radio is a crap-shoot. I can be listening to a pop station, which is rare, for an hour and hear one song that I don’t mind. As far as our band being able to flourish, it would all depend on the location and station that we would be featured on. This all being said, I do believe that Before You can appeal to a bunch of different demographics.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Catch up on DVRed TV Shows, Play Madden & NHL on my XBOX and write music.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can juggle.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums