Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts
12:17 PM on 02/07/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
A distinction needs to be made between the Title Fight and FOB situations. The latter, where people buy multiple copies of a limiting pressing, is really unfortunate and frustrating, and labels should try to prevent it (only sell a few copies per person, for example). The former, where there's plenty of records but people want the /500, is not a problem. I have no issue with profiting off morons willing to pay $100 for a particular color.
12:22 PM on 02/07/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
Hot Topic needs to really be blamed, mainly for being so careless and letting people buy multiple copies at once.
True, but I have a hard time complaining about those guys. The exclusive releases over the past few years have been fantastic.

BTW, Artist in the Ambulance is only going for like $30-35 from what I've seen
12:27 PM on 02/07/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
GOOD, then I need to jump on that. Honestly, HT needs a better ordering system. You can't put out awesome releases and not have a system in place to prevent people from ordering multiple copies at one time.
I think the problem is the nature of HT's operation--they're a big business and want to make their cash as fast as they can. It's unfortunate, but their statute also probably accounts for their sway in getting the great exclusives.
01:34 PM on 02/07/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
Vinyl is about the whole physical experience. Color goes into that too.

The whole idea behind limited pressings of records is incredibly dumb anyways. All it does is encourage this kind of behavior by enticing collectors to buy it and hope the price goes up. But like, a band doesn't profit when a record gets resold, so why does a band need to encourage that behavior? Do they think it will cause more records to be sold?

There this weird irony at play. If Title Fight were to sell copies of the Floral Green colored pressing for $100, people would throw fits at them charging so much. So instead what happens is the guys with fast fingers and nothing better to do make an $80 profit just by making a few mouse clicks and we're supposed to all be okay with that? If the demand dictates that the record be sold at $100, I'd rather the band get that whole $100 instead of random blokes on the internet.
I understand--quite personally--that colored vinyl has appeal, but those willing to pay $85 extra to have green/red vinyl rather than black are such idiots I can't bring myself to care.
02:18 PM on 02/07/13
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
Don't you at least care that the band isn't getting the $85? Instead its some random bloke exploiting the Band's goodwill of pricing the record at an affordable pricepoint?
I honestly don't understand this argument. The secondary market for vinyl can be insanely random, so sometimes flippers cash in and sometimes they don't. It's the nature of any collectible. For every Floral Green, there's another record flippers stocked up on that turned out to be a poor investment when eBay sales didn't explode.

So I guess the answer is "no." In no circumstances could a band like Title Fight sell a record for $100 and retain its integrity/reputation, so I don't see any relevance.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos