Password

Album Review

Crash Romeo - Gave Me the Clap Album Cover

Crash Romeo - Gave Me the Clap

Reviewed by
Crash Romeo - Gave Me the Clap
Record Label: Trustkill Records
Release Date: March 25th, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Lately I've noticed when a band would release their sophomore album, it either got one of two responses: 1. It was as good/as bad as their debut. 2. It's much worse than their debut. And then of course there's the response of "They've always sucked." In Crash Romeo's case, my response to their sophomore effort Gave Me the Clap is one not listed above: It's much better than their debut.

In May of 2006, Crash Romeo released Minutes to Miles, their first album on Trustkill Records. Overall, it was somewhat enjoyable, but aside from maybe one or two songs, it all got old very quickly. The vocals were whiny and annoying and the amount of synth used on it was enough to last me for a lifetime. However, now two years later, Crash Romeo is ready to release their new album Gave Me The Clap with producer Chris Badami once again behind the boards.

So what makes this album so much better than their last? First off, what I was surprised and pleased with the most is that they've completely dropped the synth. Now, I'm by no means a synth hater, but Minutes to Miles just simply overdid it, and the fact there isn't any on the new record already makes it better and much more tolerable. Secondly, the pipes on vocalist Travis Weber has gotten a lot better as well. Although some may consider it still a typical generic pop-punk voice, it's now much more easier on the ears and much less whinier. As for specific songs on Gave Me the Clap, it still has the incredibly catchy characteristic that Minutes to Miles had which drew me towards the band in the first place. You'll instantly be able to sense the improvement the band has made from the beginning with the first track sing-along "About to Break." Gave Me the Clap's lead (and obvious) single "Popular" was the first song I heard off the album, and I knew then that this release was going to be everything that Minutes to Miles could have been.

If one thing didn't improve with this band though, it's their lyrics. Lyrics on Minutes to Miles weren't any good, and the ones on Gave Me the Clap aren't much better. Weber delivers laughable lines in "Popular" with its chorus: "Popular / But I don't want to see your face again / And I don't care who you were / Cause you're never gonna be popular again." Despite bad lyrics, "Popular" is still one of the catchiest songs I've heard all year, so if you don't care about clichè high-school-themed lyrics, then this song can easily make it on one of your Spring playlists. Track three (the title track) probably isn't what you're expecting. "Gave Me the Clap" isn't a song about chlamydia, but rather clapping your hands, as Weber clearer states in the chorus "clap clap clap clap your hands." I know, I'm sure you're disappointed, but if it makes you feel better, the song is catchier than herpes.

"One Night Only" and "Victim Liar" are sure to be potential singles, as well as fan favorites. If I described these songs any more though, I'd only be repeating what I've been saying about every song so far: they're really, really catchy. But by now you're probably sick of that word, so luckily for you it's time to talk about "Give Me Something." Imagine hooking up with a hot cheerleader in your bedroom only to have your little brother pop out of the closet while blowing an air horn. Pretty bad, eh? That's how this song can pretty much be described. The band tries their luck with a ballad, and it's not that the song is entirely bad, but it felt completely random and out of place. After seven straight songs of material I'll be singing in my sleep, an acoustic song with piano and strings surfaces and it could not have ruined the consistency of this album anymore. However, Crash Romeo stick to the game plan with "Honest Eyes," "Set It Off," and "Better Off in Jersey," the final three songs on Gave Me the Clap.

Overall, Crash Romeo has made an album that is now a solid powerpop record, instead of one that will drive you to the nearest pharmacy for Tylenol. There's no doubt that they've improved greatly with Gave Me the Clap, and hopefully they can reach their full potential next time around.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) About to Break
02) Popular
03) Gave Me the Clap
04) Lady Luck
05) Victim Liar
06) One Night Only
07) Maybe Lane
08) Give Me Something
09) Honest Eyes
10) Set It Off
11) Better Off In Jersey
Produced by: Chris Badami

Crash Romeo is:
Travis Weber - Vocals / guitar
Ryan Weber - Drums
Steve Anderson - Guitar
Steve Matthews - Bass

Myspace
Buy the album

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
11:02 PM on 03/14/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Great review, I was already going to pick this up. I have a soft spot for Crash Romeo.
04:42 AM on 03/15/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Your reviews are getting better with each day, Joe.

Not a big fan of this band by any means, but I figured I would at least tell you that.
09:49 AM on 03/15/08
kidwithhelmet
User Info.
Yeah, I was looking forward to hearing a reveiw about this record. I too, REALLY appreciated the no-synth on this record. It was just far too cheesy. Definately better than their first record.
09:53 AM on 03/15/08
victoriasdf
She'll take fighting chances..
User Info.
is it a remastered version of better off in jersey?
10:04 AM on 03/15/08
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Your reviews are getting better with each day, Joe.

Not a big fan of this band by any means, but I figured I would at least tell you that.

Thanks.

is it a remastered version of better off in jersey?

I think it's re-done.
04:51 PM on 03/15/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
hahaha, the bit about sex with a cheerleader being ruined by your little brother with an air horn was great. :-D

overall, really good review, I'm seriously considering checking this album out sometime. I could only stand one song off of Minutes to Miles, and even then I had to listen to it in moderation (as in, once a month or so), ha, so yeah, this has caught my interest.
06:17 PM on 03/15/08
GoodTimes
regret would require less arrogance
User Info.
you repeat the album title way too much in this
06:23 PM on 03/15/08
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
you repeat the album title way too much in this

Oh noez.
07:08 PM on 03/15/08
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
I might give this cd a chance now
08:32 PM on 03/15/08
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
Give Me Something's description made me lol. good review, joe millionaire
09:27 PM on 03/15/08
Jerzeyboy525
User Info.
i cant wait to get this cd...these guys are my boys. i also cant wait for the video for Popular since im an extra in it lol...that weekend was amazing =)
07:49 AM on 03/16/08
victoriasdf
She'll take fighting chances..
User Info.
hahaha, the bit about sex with a cheerleader being ruined by your little brother with an air horn was great. :-D

overall, really good review, I'm seriously considering checking this album out sometime. I could only stand one song off of Minutes to Miles, and even then I had to listen to it in moderation (as in, once a month or so), ha, so yeah, this has caught my interest.

i'm curious to know which song.
09:10 AM on 03/16/08
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
i'm curious to know which song.
Actions Not Words
09:31 AM on 03/16/08
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.

Should've been a single. That song and "Serious" were the only two songs I was really into.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos