Username
Password

09:11 PM on 02/07/13 
User Info.
blackmold
Bro
Lyndora, PA
Male - 23 Years Old
Running as in the exercise, in case there's any confusion.

I would like to start running regularly because I really don't exercise at all. Throughout my life, I've jogged/run quite a bit but never as an exercise routine; just for fun. I just don't know where to start. Like running shoes, for instance. I'd like to get a nice pair, preferably under like $80. Also, how much should I run starting out? I know I shouldn't just go out and run a full mile since I've never done that in my life. So many questions. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
09:18 PM on 02/07/13 
User Info.
Passion Man
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm more of a walker. Running is lame. Also I don't look good in short shorts.
10:16 PM on 02/07/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
I've been running on a regular basis since December. I love it. I can now run 3 miles without stopping, and endurance just keeps growing.

Good shoes are definitely worth it, but I can't help you there as I'm far from an expert.
11:28 PM on 02/07/13 
User Info.
bite2brkskn12
Registered Member
West Chester
Male - 23 Years Old
I used to run all the time but because of decreasing quality of my knees I had to stop and now stick to the eliptical for cardio. First things first, get yourself a good pair of running shoes. I use Nike Free Run's they are a little expensive but they are amazing. They fit like a glove and are so light it feels like you're running barefoot.

Another tip is to drink a bottle of water or two before you run. I used to get terrible stomach cramps until i figured out they went away if i drank some water before.

While running, breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Most people, especially new runners or people out of shape, breathe in and out of their mouth like they're panting and you will run out of breath very fast and feel winded.

As for the length of your run and the type of run is up to you. I'd start out just going for a jog and seeing how you feel. If you can only run a mile or half a mile, I'd say do that for a week or until you're body is used to it then bump it up. Next week try two miles. You have plenty of time and exercising should be enjoyable. If you try to do too much too fast, you'll just frustrated and end up quitting.

If you're really trying to get in shape, interval running is the best way to do that. Interval running is good because it keeps your heartbeat up which is how you lose fat and running tones you're abl muscles and tones almost every muscle in your body. An easy way to do interval running is to count telephone poles. I used to run/sprint the distance of two telephone poles then jog to the next one, then run/sprint two more and so on.

I used to hate running but after dedicating time to it, I am able to run 5 miles without falling over and dying haha I used to be 236 lbs and am now around 170.. Anymore questions just pm me
11:31 PM on 02/07/13 
User Info.
The Boat
I've made a huge mistake
Australia
Male - 24 Years Old
I bought some $120 + addidas runners a while ago because I wanted a really good pair but they started huting my feet like crazy so went and bout some cheaper nikes and they are super comfortable, so I would reccomend looking into them, but just try a few pairs on and see what fits your feet best, because everyone is different.

I recently got back into running after not doing any cardio for a long time and would say to myself okay im going to run 1km today (and time myself) then in the next week or so I would run the same distance but try to improve my time, then I would move up to 2 and then improve my time each time i ran that distance and then 3 km and so on, I found it was a good way to keep me motivated as I find running a fairly boring thing to do, and also forces you to improve instead of just running the same distance at the same speed for a few months.

Also they are a luxury item, but I found skins to be agreat investment and would never run without wearing a pair ever again.
11:49 PM on 02/07/13 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
I ran from middle school all the way through college...well half way through college. Quit because I started to fall behind in my classes/grades. Anyway, you don't need some $100 shoe, my shoes were like $80. Also Nike Free's may not be the "best" for everyone. Go to a place that specializes in fitting running shoes, and they'll find one that fits your running/walking style. They have shoes for people with a neutral foot strike, pronators, etc. I personally like Asics or Saucony's. You would want to get a size bigger than your normal shoe size/have a thumbs width of free space at the tip of the shoe. As for running...like what someone else said do as much as you can, or alternate with a run/walk. Unfortunately I'm not experienced in providing a general workout routine for someone who wants to start running =/ It's also good to alternate with running, and cross-training so you can work your other muscles
12:40 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
DannyC249
Howell
Male - 26 Years Old

I would like to start running regularly because I really don't exercise at all. Throughout my life, I've jogged/run quite a bit but never as an exercise routine; just for fun. I just don't know where to start. Like running shoes, for instance. I'd like to get a nice pair, preferably under like $80. Also, how much should I run starting out? I know I shouldn't just go out and run a full mile since I've never done that in my life. So many questions. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm a runner. Advice? I do not agree with the above poster. Don't skimp on running shoes. Seriously. Spend the money. Get a nice 100 to 140 dollar pair. Cheap running shoes won't last as long and if you run consistently, you will feel it in your joints and muscles with cheap shoes. Maybe for your purposes cheap shoes will do, but if you really want to get the most out of your workout, better shoes really do make a world of difference. They are the only accessory that actually affects your running, so it important, especially if you pronate (ask shoe athletic shoe salesmen about this and they can tell you if you pronate or not.)

As for progression, that's tough. You can't even run a mile? That's only ten minutes of exercise, for a slow runner. You have your work cut out for you. Start running up to a mile, walking for breaks if you need to. But general rule of thumb is don't run more than 10 percent more each week. In other words, if you run 5 miles in week 1, maybe move that up to 6 miles in week two. (Technically more than 10 percent, but that's for advanced), I run average of 25 miles a week.

Other basics is always warm up. A 5 to 10 minute walk is good in average weather, and always stretch after your runs. Other than that, it is a learning process. You need to focus on breathing and listen to your body. Don't push too hard.
12:43 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
mid_westsun
starting now, I'm starting over.
St. Louis, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
if you find a particular shoe you like, I'd definitely recommend http://www.kellysrunningwarehouse.com/. their stuff is usually discounted pretty heavily. I bought a pair of asics cumulus from them last year for about $75. they ship fast and have solid customer support and all that jazz as well.
04:39 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
mbarney82
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm a runner. Advice? I do not agree with the above poster. Don't skimp on running shoes. Seriously. Spend the money. Get a nice 100 to 140 dollar pair. Cheap running shoes won't last as long and if you run consistently, you will feel it in your joints and muscles with cheap shoes. Maybe for your purposes cheap shoes will do, but if you really want to get the most out of your workout, better shoes really do make a world of difference. They are the only accessory that actually affects your running, so it important, especially if you pronate (ask shoe athletic shoe salesmen about this and they can tell you if you pronate or not.)

As for progression, that's tough. You can't even run a mile? That's only ten minutes of exercise, for a slow runner. You have your work cut out for you. Start running up to a mile, walking for breaks if you need to. But general rule of thumb is don't run more than 10 percent more each week. In other words, if you run 5 miles in week 1, maybe move that up to 6 miles in week two. (Technically more than 10 percent, but that's for advanced), I run average of 25 miles a week.

Other basics is always warm up. A 5 to 10 minute walk is good in average weather, and always stretch after your runs. Other than that, it is a learning process. You need to focus on breathing and listen to your body. Don't push too hard.

what this guy said. nice shoes will prevent shin splints. i always was a fan of asics or saucony. i was never a fan of addidas or nike, but that is just my opinion.
don't do static stretching, to calisthenics. it keeps the body in motion and is better for you. progression is key when you want to get up to 25 or more miles. back in high school i was doing close to 35. two of my best friends run d1 track and are at 75-90 a week. take it day by day. you'll find yourself enjoying it a lot more the more you run.
05:15 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
KingMax01
Theres no good in your eyes anymore
Alberta, Canada
Male - 21 Years Old
Born and raised a runner and currently work at a running store, so ask away if you have any questions.
07:37 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
Palatine, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
Everyone is different. Go to a running specialty store that can fit you with the kind of shoes you need.
07:42 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
blackmold
Bro
Lyndora, PA
Male - 23 Years Old
Everyone is different. Go to a running specialty store that can fit you with the kind of shoes you need.

I've heard this. Unfortunately I think the only running specialty store is about an hour's drive from where I live and I don't have a car. I see everyone's saying good, slightly expensive shoes are worth it to avoid injury though, so maybe I'll find a way to get there.
07:57 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
danTHEman32
chicago
Male - 24 Years Old
Asics til I die. I've always loved running in Asics.
09:11 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
lauren1234
Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Female - 23 Years Old
Brooks shoes all the way for me! I'm not a serious runner at all but I picked it up a little more serious back in August. I do not recommend Nikes for running, especially for long distances. But like others have said everyone is different. You have to find the shoe that is best for you. Don't cheap out on it, you will regret it in the end. A little more for shoes is worth it over injury!!!
09:21 AM on 02/08/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 24 Years Old

I'd suggest starting the couch to 5k program. It takes about 9 weeks but it really builds you up to eventually run a 5k. I'm on week 4 and I really enjoy it.

if you just google it, the program usually comes up, theres also some pretty good iphone apps to help you.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos