Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 52
02:13 PM on 02/11/13
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
Aside from Handwritten and Vhiessu (and Born to Run), I think this is the only 100% I've seen. Daaaamn.
02:56 PM on 02/11/13
sjb2k1
8-6, double check my wang
User Info.
review doesn't really start until the 4th paragraph - get to the meat faster!
09:10 PM on 02/11/13
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't care for "Nothing Is" at all, but the rest of this album is amazing. "New You" kinda has a 90's alternative thing going on and is probably one of my favorite songs of theirs
07:22 PM on 02/12/13
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
yeah, what is this, pitchfork?
12:46 PM on 02/13/13
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Yeah, the first three paragraphs seem unnecessary and probably could have been condensed into one. I had similar problems with writing at 17. Nice review, though, will check it out.
02:32 AM on 02/14/13
briXinRhands
>>----------;;----l>
User Info.
I will admit my ignorance and say that I don't think I had ever heard of this band until the lead singer said that a new album was coming out a few days before it did, and everybody freaked out.
Since people seemed to hyped about it, I decided to check it out once it was actually released.

And after listening to it (and not liking it), and now seeing the ratings for this review, I just have one thing to say, are you serious?
I mean this obviously isn't my kind of music (and if other people do more power to them I guess) but a perfect 10? C'mon man!

One of the tracks is LITERALLY the same 3 seconds repeated over and over again for 3 and a half minutes

Like seriously, what the fuck is that?
How can an album that features a track and uncreative and lame as that get all 10s?

(I do realize that is probably the worst track on the album, btw. And even though I totally disagree with it, the review was well written.)
I'm with you dude. I don't get it. I listened to it four times all the way through on different days...it's just boring and most of the songs don't seem to go anywhere. I don't want to have to listen to music for hours and read up on why I should like it before it "clicks." It's music, not a math exam. Just not my style I guess.
08:19 PM on 02/14/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I will admit my ignorance and say that I don't think I had ever heard of this band until the lead singer said that a new album was coming out a few days before it did, and everybody freaked out.
Since people seemed to hyped about it, I decided to check it out once it was actually released.

And after listening to it (and not liking it), and now seeing the ratings for this review, I just have one thing to say, are you serious?
I mean this obviously isn't my kind of music (and if other people do more power to them I guess) but a perfect 10? C'mon man!

One of the tracks is LITERALLY the same 3 seconds repeated over and over again for 3 and a half minutes

How can an album that features a track and uncreative and lame as that get all 10s?

(I do realize that is probably the worst track on the album, btw. And even though I totally disagree with it, the review was well written.)
You're well within your rights to dislike the album, and the band's sound. But have you ever played a guitar? How can the guitar sound not blow your mind? I mean, how the fuck does anyone make a guitar sound like Kevin Shields does? So many people have tried and most don't even come close.
People have used a heap of delay, whammy, reverb and everything. Not even close.
People have layered countless guitar parts on top of each other. Not even close at all.
That's the impressive part of My Bloody Valentine's music. After people get past that, then they usually decide whether they actually like it or not. Some just hear noise and others have wet dreams.
10:52 AM on 02/16/13
SkywayTraffic
Skyway Traffic
User Info.
Had to comment this because I had never listened to these guys because I assumed they were just a screamo band based on their horrible band name. BUT after reading this review I was intrigued. First song I've ever heard by them is called Nothing Is, from their official youtube account, which if you haven't heard it, is the exact same 2 second guitar riff and drum beat (not exaggerating. 2 seconds) repeated for 3 and a half minutes. Leaving me wondering how in the actual fuck this album got a 100%?!

Although, I'm sure that is not indicative of their actual sound, but I just thought it was kind of funny and that I'd share that I probably just have been extremely unlucky with listening opportunities with this band haha
10:54 AM on 02/16/13
SkywayTraffic
Skyway Traffic
User Info.

Posted pretty much this exact same thing before reading the posts of this thread. I completely agree. If that's all it takes to make kids wet their pants how to the fuck isn't every 7th grader with a guitar famous yet?
05:18 PM on 02/16/13
AC_Eskimo
User Info.
Okay, can someone explain to me why these guys are considered "good"? It's just a bunch of noise. They spent 22 years writing and recording something that sounds like a broken microwave? If there is some musical brilliance here I am missing, please let me know.
06:14 PM on 02/16/13
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
User Info.
Okay, can someone explain to me why these guys are considered "good"? It's just a bunch of noise. They spent 22 years writing and recording something that sounds like a broken microwave? If there is some musical brilliance here I am missing, please let me know.
No one can really tell you what you're missing. There's no right answer. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But do you agree that an ultimately beautiful something which takes longer or more effort to get to is, as a result, even more beautiful? Curious ears have a natural tendency to listen through, beyond, and toward, particularly when there seems to be something flickering just out of reach. And finally arriving (or hearing, whatever it is) there is like returning to a simpler time—perhaps as a baby when your mom softly cooed in your ear. My Bloody Valentine songs, at their best, are simple (as in distilled to their essence) pop numbers that have been deliberately tucked inside droning, noisy, and, possibly, confusing cocoons. It's because there is that deliberate division between the ear and easy, carefree beauty that the band's best tracks achieve transcendence.
06:24 PM on 02/16/13
alexpoopy
I wait in 4/4 time.
User Info.

Just because it's not accesible doesn't mean it's not fantastic.
10:27 AM on 02/18/13
End of Disc One
User Info.

That track is awesome. Nothing wrong with repetitiveness done well. I realize a lot of people on this site listen exclusively to formulaic pop rock though.

I probably prefer this album to Loveless, but I don't think Loveless is one of the best albums of all time like some people do. Really good though.
04:47 PM on 02/24/13
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That track is awesome. Nothing wrong with repetitiveness done well. I realize a lot of people on this site listen exclusively to formulaic pop rock though.

I probably prefer this album to Loveless, but I don't think Loveless is one of the best albums of all time like some people do. Really good though.
That's not repetitiveness done well... Manuel Gottsching is repetitiveness done well. This isn't a song, this is just the "work" of somebody who thought "maybe if I loop 2 seconds for the length of a normal song with no variation people will think it's avant garde."
08:42 PM on 02/24/13
TheBaroness
User Info.
Posted pretty much this exact same thing before reading the posts of this thread. I completely agree. If that's all it takes to make kids wet their pants how to the fuck isn't every 7th grader with a guitar famous yet?
7th grader with a guitar? Dude, do you have any idea how many people have tried (and failed) to replicate that sound over the last 22 years, and how many people have tried and failed to get their heads around how Kevin Shields even created that sound??

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos