AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

07:51 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
Jack Appleby
___
No Avatar Selected
well this thread was a pretty entertaining read.

just want to say as someone in the computer/tech industry, I'm very strongly for internet anonymity. having your real name attached to everything you do online would severely stifle innovation and people willing to do things they might not want to do in real life. does that mean that people might be assholes more often on the internet? sure maybe, but if you're so concerned with bullying, think about all the people who get bullied in real life and use the internet as an escape. I'd argue that that scenario is very real and much more prevalent than the possibility that having no anonymity would eliminate internet bullying. there's no anonymity in real life and yet there's plenty of bullying there.

not to mention I can guarantee it would be taken advantage of by governments to keep tabs on their citizens and generally invade their privacy. not even necessarily the US--there are plenty of governments actively trying to take away their citizens internet privacy rights, this would only assist in doing so. and of course you'd lose out on hackers. and I know to the public hackers probably seem like criminals, but hackers are what advance the tech security industry. without hackers, there's no reason to innovate to make things more secure.

I could argue this for much longer but those are the most compelling reasons off the top of my head. basically no internet anonymity is really really stupid imo. I can't stress enough how strongly I disagree with you on that. and that's fine, you're entitled to your opinions, I just hope you can try to see the other side of it.

Great points - thanks for posting this. I also work in tech (specifically social media).

I think what's needed is a happy medium. There's certainly strong arguments both ways - I think at the moment, we're leaning a bit too far on the "people get away with whatever they want" side. Definitely agree that from a government standpoint, it could get scary, and the "law breakers don't play by the rules" argument is certain applicable here.

I think it's a bit lazy to say that hackers are the only innovation - suggesting that only unlawful computing advances the industry seems like an excuse.
07:54 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
IntoTheSun
my blood flows harshly
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 22 Years Old
REMEMBER WHEN THE INTERNET WAS POST-RACIAL???? *mourns*
07:54 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
Male - 27 Years Old
IM WHITE
07:56 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
Jack Appleby
___
No Avatar Selected
Only 17,850 more replies before I catch Shone.

TEAMWORK, PEOPLE.
08:00 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
we can't do that. threads that arent being deliberately baited into achieving some kind of record close at 10k.
08:02 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
ACTUALLY South Korea
Female
Wow, you look dumb!
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Great points - thanks for posting this. I also work in tech (specifically social media).

I think what's needed is a happy medium. There's certainly strong arguments both ways - I think at the moment, we're leaning a bit too far on the "people get away with whatever they want" side. Definitely agree that from a government standpoint, it could get scary, and the "law breakers don't play by the rules" argument is certain applicable here.

I think it's a bit lazy to say that hackers are the only innovation - suggesting that only unlawful computing advances the industry seems like an excuse.
certainly people need to be accountable for their actions whether in real life or online, but I'd be seriously concerned that attempting to do away with some of the anonymity in the name of more accountability would also inadvertently do away with some of the benefits of anonymity, and that's not a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

and sure hackers aren't the only reason for innovation, but without people trying to crack software or break into your website, people are a lot lazier about security. I'd argue that hackers (even the bad ones) are a net gain for the industry as a whole.

also as an aside, I get your argument for using your picture as your avatar, but isn't that what the profile picture is already for? I have no qualms about posting my picture online (hence having a profile picture of myself) but having your avatar be a picture of yourself always gave off sort of a self-absorbed vibe (not saying that's the case for you, just generally speaking it has always seemed weird--not just on AP either, any forum with avatars).
User Info.
Jack Appleby
___
No Avatar Selected
we can't do that. threads that arent being deliberately baited into achieving some kind of record close at 10k.

I've never understood - is it a troll thing to not quote people when you talk? I mean, it's the same amount of clicks, and I only see it happen with a few people.

Also, LOL at Pat's use of mob mentality again.
08:05 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
Jack Appleby
___
No Avatar Selected

*claps*
08:11 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
I've never understood - is it a troll thing to not quote people when you talk? I mean, it's the same amount of clicks, and I only see it happen with a few people.

Also, LOL at Pat's use of mob mentality again.

it is not the same amount of clicks. i am not trolling. this is not what trolling is. i know you're going to see the post, it's your thread.

and what?
08:15 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
EndlessPrisoner
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male
College Park, MD is that expensive for pretty mediocre houses if not more so. hence why i live in Baltimore and commute 45 min/1 hour for classes. one more semester...

lol college park
08:18 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified

haha it was home to me for a good 3 years but im glad to get away from that place. and all its shitty traffic oh my god. my apartment that i live in by myself in Baltimore is cheaper than renting a room was down there
08:21 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
Syracuse
Male - 22 Years Old
Only 17,850 more replies before I catch Shone.

TEAMWORK, PEOPLE.

Be Patient.
08:41 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
brandon_260
Jasper, Alberta
Male - 21 Years Old
Trolled LOL
08:55 PM on 02/11/13 
User Info.
EndlessPrisoner
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male
haha it was home to me for a good 3 years but im glad to get away from that place. and all its shitty traffic oh my god. my apartment that i live in by myself in Baltimore is cheaper than renting a room was down there

It took me 30 minutes to get onto rt1 from 95 once. That light is so atrocious.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos