AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Black Market Serotonin - 02.11.13

Black Market Serotonin - 02.11.13

Interviewed by
Black Market Serotonin - 02.11.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Black Market Serotonin

http://www.facebook.com/blackmarketserotonin
http://www.blackmarketserotonin.com
http://www.superstardestroyer.co.uk

Andrew Pimblott - Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards/Samples
Lee Campbell - Bass Guitar
Michael Colman - Drums/Percussion

1. How did you get your band name?

Lee: It's a comment on people searching for happiness in the wrong places (like materialism) in 21st Century Western society.

2. How did this band get started?

Lee: Mike and Andy had been in a band previously, and Andy asked Mike to perform drums for the material he'd written, much of which would become Black Market Serotonin's repertoire. The two of them were in need of a bassist to take the material to live audiences, so Mike asked me if I was interested. We'd been lab (drinking?) partners back in our undergraduate Physics days.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Lee: A lot of 90s/00s alternative rock (a term I use rather loosely), the likes of Deftones, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, with a bit of post-rock and some IDM thrown in for good measure...

Andy: We all listen to different things aside from the obvious which helps to keep things interesting.

Mike: As Andy said, we all listen to a large variety of music, and I believe it all contributes in some way to the music we play. Saying that, however, I think it is easy to see the influence of bands such as Tool, Deftones, Nine Inch Nails, Porcupine Tree, Mogwai, Muse and The Smashing Pumpkins in our album.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Lee: Tricky one. I'd wanna tour with people we'd get along with, not just bands we admire. 65daysofstatic seem like sound lads in interviews, and they've toured some amazing places, so touring with them would be good, I reckon.

Andy: Maybe a cliche here but Led Zeppelin, purely I think to experience an era of music where bands were unstoppable. I think the general atmosphere would be incredible to observe.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Lee: Indian, because it's the best food to eat wherever you are.

Andy: We always tend to eat a footlong sandwich before we play as an almost tradition! Amazingly wherever we play can always seem to eat at the same place too. Weird...

Mike: I know it’s not food, but an aged single malt never goes a miss...

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Lee: How many people have answered this with "because we rock" followed by nervous laughter? We'd like to think we make slightly cerebral music that lets you know you're not the only one who has bouts of disillusionment with the world.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Lee: Can I pick someone dead? Jesse Owens. He's like an embodiment of a huge "fuck you" to injustice in the world.

Andy: Muhammad Ali. Just to be the greatest!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Lee: Whoever handed it to me.

Andy: I suppose it depends on which Grammy? As a general one though I'd thank everyone who listens and likes our music, because without them you'd never get to be in a position to win a Grammy.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Lee: That bands and artists that deserve recognition get noticed more readily, and it was less about being in the right place at the right time...

Andy: That the industry would stop underestimating the intelligence of their audience by feeding them the same recycled stuff and give them something that challenges them. Take Bohemian Rhapsody; that'd never get the industry backing as a single now, yet everyone loves it!

10. Memorable tour experience?

Lee: We haven't toured, per se, but gigging open-air to about 700 Welsh nutters from all walks of life was a great experience.

Andy: you always remember the bad stuff too! Like our computer, keyboard and the skin on Mike's kick drum breaking during the same song at our second gig!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Lee: I think AP represents quite a balanced and objective view of the music industry with its reviewing style, which I'm all for. Keep up the good work!

Andy: Its a great resource for music fans to discover new music and read about the music they love.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Lee: We've played the Something from Nothing parts 1 to 5 back-to-back a few times live now, and I love just letting the music completely consume me for those twenty-three or so minutes. Brilliant feeling.

Andy: I like The End of History, it means a lot to me and I love the riffs in it!

Mike: I too have to say Something From Nothing in its entirety. It always seems to just flow by and never feels like we’re playing a 23 minute track!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Lee: I fell in love with Paris a few years ago, it's a beautiful city, and I also love the countryside and having a few beers and a barbecue in the great outdoors, and Cornwall's great for that. Not overly "rock 'n' roll", but it's more about who you're with, isn't it?

Andy: I've only been once but New York was incredible. It just feels like a vibrant environment.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Lee: My mum played a lot of Motown in the house when I was growing up, so that tends to take me back. Still enjoy it myself.

Andy: My dad played Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells a lot which I love. Its not exactly a commercial record by todays standards but even as a kid I felt I understood it, which I guess ties into my frustration at the music industry underestimating what their audience are capable of enjoying.

Mike: Jazz primarily, and I have really distinct memories of Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana on video, which is significant because I barely remember last week.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Lee: The ability to melt snow several paces ahead of the elderly so they don't slip.

Andy: The ability to stop time so I could sleep longer without wasting the day.

Mike: To be really lucky. Imagine how good life would be if luck went your way all the time.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Lee: I usually have a cigarette just before we go on, which is really bad for you. Wish I'd never started. Stay in school kids.

Andy: I hold my breath for as long as I can a couple of times. It helps me to relax and shake off the nerves a bit.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Lee: Hmmm... I'm pretty good at accents and impressions, and I'm a massive geek; a proper geek in that I like science, I mean.

Andy: I'm terrible at virtually all sports.
Mike: I have many, many pets.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Lee: It's odd... it all hinges on whatever the BBC play, because they have the most-listened to stations, yet don't technically have to achieve ratings, because they're license-payer funded. Other stations, generally have to follow suit to then get the ratings that attract the advertisers that then keep them afloat. So, to answer whether or not it's a place we could flourish, I'd say any band can flourish if the BBC plays them, because, everyone else begins to play them and you kind of automatically flourish, you know?

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Lee: Drink tea, watch films, seek out new music, cook. I'm just a normal bloke, really.

Andy: Likewise, though I'm more of a coffee drinker.
Mike: ... and sleep.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Lee: I have double-jointed shoulder-blades and I can do this weird thing where I pull my face from behind my head. I can't really explain it, I'll have to show you over a pint. Speaking of which, I balance pint glasses on top of each other in a kind of spiral.

Andy: I have the miraculous ability to create more work for myself than was ever necessary.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests