Username
Password
Property of Zack News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Property of Zack
Inside AP.net

POZ Discussion: Albums That Deserve...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (02/15/13)
PropertyOfZack has posted an interesting discussion article in which they list albums they think deserve "classic" status in 2020. Check it out here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 190
12:13 PM on 02/15/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
the only one remotely close to being remembered in 7 years is fun.
12:14 PM on 02/15/13
RyanGarner
Registered Member
User Info.
I enjoy a lot of these but it's way too soon to talk about all of these albums as classics.
12:17 PM on 02/15/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I enjoy a lot of these but it's way too soon to talk about all of these albums as classics.
It's a tie-in with our new Decade feature for current classics/10 year tours.
12:18 PM on 02/15/13
JawsTheme182
Summer Dies, Swells Rise
User Info.
Agreed.

I think another band that has the potential to break into the mainstream like Fun. did and become "classic" is Marianas Trench. I have a feeling whatever they have up their sleeves next could be the defining album for them. Especially after their singer hit it big writing Call Me Maybe.

Really think this list is more of a "what albums will ap.net think are classics in 10 years?" In the scheme of things, Some Nights is the only album on this list that your average person in 2020 will have even heard of. That being said, for me personally, War Paint and The Upsides are, and always will be, albums that represent defining moments in my life, so I will remember them for that.
12:20 PM on 02/15/13
irthesteve
User Info.
Agreed.

I think another band that has the potential to break into the mainstream like Fun. did and become "classic" is Marianas Trench. I have a feeling whatever they have up their sleeves next could be the defining album for them. Especially after their singer hit it big writing Call Me Maybe.

Really think this list is more of a "what albums will ap.net think are classics in 10 years?" In the scheme of things, Some Nights is the only album on this list that your average person in 2020 will have even heard of. That being said, for me personally, War Paint and The Upsides are, and always will be, albums that represent defining moments in my life, so I will remember them for that.
I've only heard Masterpiece Theater, their new one pretty good?
12:20 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
In our scene I bet Horrible Crowes and Menzingers are remembered.

The others ... meh ... the others I could see like Mest, the "remember those guys" bands.
12:21 PM on 02/15/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Agreed.

It's certainly a what "our community" will think list, not a mainstream list haha.
12:22 PM on 02/15/13
irthesteve
User Info.
In our scene I bet Horrible Crowes and Menzingers are remembered.

The others ... meh ... the others I could see like Mest, the "remember those guys" bands.
I think Horrible Crowes, only because of TGA if that counts. And I still don't feel like Menzingers are that well known outside this website, they just don't feel "big" to me... yet
12:23 PM on 02/15/13
RyanGarner
Registered Member
User Info.
It's a tie-in with our new Decade feature for current classics/10 year tours.
Ah okay this makes sense then. As far as this goes then I can really see The Menzingers reaching this status within this "community". On the Impossible Past is a record that sounds new but at the same time it already has that nostalgic feeling to it. Same goes for Listen and Forgive.
12:24 PM on 02/15/13
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
User Info.
Bring Me the Horizon? Is that album really special (not being smart ass, general inquiry)
12:25 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I think Horrible Crowes, only because of TGA if that counts. And I still don't feel like Menzingers are that well known outside this website, they just don't feel "big" to me... yet
I don't think that's the point though ... I think it's the bands within this scene that are seen as classic albums, not the mainstream. The ones that in 10 years we'll be talking about like we do "Deja" and "Futures" and "is a Real Boy ..." now.
12:25 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Bring Me the Horizon? Is that album really special (not being smart ass, general inquiry)
I don't think so. But that's just me.
12:27 PM on 02/15/13
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
User Info.
I don't think so. But that's just me.
I didn't think so, the few songs I heard from them sounded like everything else from the genre
12:30 PM on 02/15/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Japandroids, Bon Iver, Phoenix, Gaslight Anthem, Young the Giant(?), The National, Frank Turner, Radiohead, My Chem.

Some others off the top of my head that I think have a good shelf life.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests