Password

Album Review

Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman: Descension Album Cover

Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman: Descension

Reviewed by
Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman: Descension
Record Label: Hundred Handed/Everything Evil
Release Date: February 5, 2013
This review is a user submitted review from Deathco_019. You can see all of Deathco_019's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
08:17 PM on 02/27/13
StartAngry&Mad
Lets get these people moving faster
User Info.
Should read "is not without its flaws"

But great review though! Just picked up a copy on vinyl to accompany Ascension and looking forward to giving it a first spin, I really enjoyed Part 1, and hearing that this continues their return to form is exciting! (I'll admit I maybe wasn't as disappointed with the previous two albums as others were though, but I'm probably not classified as a hardcore C&C fan anyway)
10:36 AM on 02/28/13
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
Should read "is not without its flaws"

But great review though! Just picked up a copy on vinyl to accompany Ascension and looking forward to giving it a first spin, I really enjoyed Part 1, and hearing that this continues their return to form is exciting! (I'll admit I maybe wasn't as disappointed with the previous two albums as others were though, but I'm probably not classified as a hardcore C&C fan anyway)

Thanks for catching that. Just edited.

And thanks for reading! I just realized it's a bit lengthy in the middle, but I don't think too many people will mind. And I really enjoy Ascension, but I think I like Descension more. It's got a better flow and that's what makes me want to listen to it from start to finish.

If you like Ascension, you'll like Descension.
07:13 PM on 02/28/13
StartAngry&Mad
User Info.
Thanks for catching that. Just edited.

And thanks for reading! I just realized it's a bit lengthy in the middle, but I don't think too many people will mind. And I really enjoy Ascension, but I think I like Descension more. It's got a better flow and that's what makes me want to listen to it from start to finish.

If you like Ascension, you'll like Descension.
Having now listened to it, first thoughts are that there are more memorable moments than Descension, especially in the front half. Sentry and Gravity's Union are both as you said, epic (an appropriate adjective - not a cliche)!

The one criticism I have, and my best friend first pointed it out listening to Ascension, is that the album sounds a little flat in the production, at least speaking of the vinyl. The mix is good, and the bass comes through well (usually my complaint), but overall it just doesn't sound as big and clear as I'd maybe like.
07:20 PM on 02/28/13
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
Having now listened to it, first thoughts are that there are more memorable moments than Descension, especially in the front half. Sentry and Gravity's Union are both as you said, epic (an appropriate adjective - not a cliche)!

The one criticism I have, and my best friend first pointed it out listening to Ascension, is that the album sounds a little flat in the production, at least speaking of the vinyl. The mix is good, and the bass comes through well (usually my complaint), but overall it just doesn't sound as big and clear as I'd maybe like.
Ascension definitely has more standouts (I believe that is what you are saying). Sentry and Gravity's Union are powerhouses indeed, though.

And I can see what you mean about the production. Maybe it's because the band also had a hand in producing the album on both Afterman albums. The band isn't credited for production on the first three.
07:26 PM on 02/28/13
StartAngry&Mad
User Info.
Ascension definitely has more standouts (I believe that is what you are saying). Sentry and Gravity's Union are powerhouses indeed, though.

And I can see what you mean about the production. Maybe it's because the band also had a hand in producing the album on both Afterman albums. The band isn't credited for production on the first three.
In talking about memorable moments, I don't just mean standout tracks, but passages in songs, whether it be a solo, extra catchy melody, inclusion of horns, etc. that really grab your attention. Ascension was really solid and flowed well (considering the diversity of styles and pace), but I did think it maybe lacked distinctive memorable moments.
04:21 PM on 08/11/13
kevindadbrewer
Kevin Brewer
User Info.
Flawless compared to that disgusting 2010 release.
01:26 AM on 11/30/13
drewperri
Drew Perri
User Info.
still trying to get use to the new albums, nothing has been the same since before black rainbow

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos