Username
Password
MTV News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
MTV
Inside AP.net

Inclusion Rock is Bigger Than the Sound

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (03/19/08)
James Montgomery discusses 'Inclusion rock' in this week's edition of Bigger Than the Sound.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
06:03 PM on 03/19/08
RobTalksInMaths
Goodbye Tiger: Who Do You Call Home
User Info.
I think this is one of his best articles yet. He's hitting on something really important here; something I have also noticed about the state of music today. So many bands, intentionally or not, appeal to a certain subgroup (usually an age group) within the population. I find it incredibly rare that an adult likes a band that I, or someone else my age, likes.

Bands definitely need to stop being so exclusive and start being open. Does this mean more publicity, more interviews, more by-the-minute newsfeeds on their personal lives? More radio-friendly songs/albums? No, not at all. It means music that can span across the generation gap. Music that makes you feel like you are a part of the artist's experience. Whether it be musically or lyrically (subject matter), I feel very few bands achieve this today.

Edit: On a personal level, some of the modern bands off of my iPod that I could see an adult singing along to:
The Arcade Fire
Beck
Cold War Kids
John Mayer
Kevin Devine
Manchester Orchestra
Muse
Oasis (a little dated?)
Radiohead
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The White Stripes
06:25 PM on 03/19/08
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
I kinda get why bands like U2, Bruce Springsteen, and The Hold Steady are in there, but The Arcade Fire? Seriously?
06:50 PM on 03/19/08
Russellmcdoogle
you say you want a revolution.
User Info.
This doesn't appeal to me.
11:37 PM on 03/19/08
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
i like the concept but there's too long a list of already popular bands that can be described as an "inclusion rock" band. look at Flogging Molly for instance, because they appeal to a huge community of people, they can be filed into the "inclusion rock" genre. just my opinion.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS