Password

Album Review

Children 18:3 - Children 18:3 Album Cover

Children 18:3 - Children 18:3

Reviewed by
Children 18:3 - Children 18:3
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: February 26, 2008
Children 18:3 are composed of three home schooled kids from Morris, Minnesota. Because of this, many people wonder how they formed a punk band from such a rural and seemingly sheltered background. Nonetheless, they made a good impression on me right away. First, I heard “You Know We’re All So Fond of Dying” on a radio station, and it was catchy and fun. The next thing that sold me on this band was the band name itself. "Children 18:3" is a reference to Matthew 18:3: “I assure you,” Jesus said, “unless you are converted and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Since this is one of my favorite passages, I decided to download Children 18:3.

First, let me say, this album is incredible. It's smooth and the transitions between songs are seamless. The production is well done, but not over-produced. Moreover, the production is especially good, because the band somehow still sounds raw. The guitars are crisp, and the riffs are excellent. “Ditches” features a nice drum solo for sibling Seth Hostetter to shine. There is not a weak track on this entire album, though, Children 18:3 could have hurt “Samantha” by prolonging it into a sad ballad, but instead they shorten it to provide a sort of somber interlude. “All My Balloons” is a great opener, clearly announcing what the band will do for the rest of the album, and the reprise provides a quick interlude, which transitions into the finale, “Final.” And there is variety on the album: “The City” finds the band treading on the borders of ska. Another standout is “Mock the Music,” which comes complete with some relevant lyrics: "It's alright, it's a stereotype / And I don't mind if you use it / It's alright, you can say what you like / Just don't mock the music."

The vocals on the album are superb. Two members sing vocals - the lead singer David (who looks kind of like Davey Havok on the cover) and his sister Lee Marie. Her voice is a perfect background for his, and vice versa. Her vocals shine on “Search Warrant,” the only track where she takes over the duties of lead vocalist. The siblings' vocals are amazing on “Time and Wasted Bullets” with an excellent build up to a great chorus. The siblings mesh perfectly on nearly every song.

Those of you who may have a problem with Christian rock shouldn't worry, because the band is not beating the listener over the head with Christian nomenclature and lyrics. The lyrics are pertinent and sometimes pensive for a whole range of audiences. Children 18:3 is an excellent debut album. Children 18:3 are this year’s Family Force 5. Though they may not be musically similar, both bands are fun, catchy, and entertaining.

Recommended if You LikeEarly Relient K, some MxPx and bike riding (this album is very fun to listen to while biking, I have no idea why)

myspace.com/children183
This review is a user submitted review from im_wide_awake. You can see all of im_wide_awake's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
08:42 AM on 03/28/08
sidekicksuicide
these are not just mountains
User Info.
good review. Their vocals do work perfectly together.
12:07 PM on 03/29/08
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
didn't someone review this a couple days ago? oh well, kick ass album.
12:10 PM on 03/29/08
im_wide_awake
Roll along you BG warriors
User Info.
didn't someone review this a couple days ago? oh well, kick ass album.

haha yeh i saw that i felt kinda stupid even though i wrote this before the other one went up
oh well and yes i agree great album
12:47 PM on 03/29/08
loj
i'm not there and you're not here.
User Info.
love it. and i agree with you about Matthew 18:3 . it's a goodie...
03:17 PM on 03/29/08
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
haha yeh i saw that i felt kinda stupid even though i wrote this before the other one went up
oh well and yes i agree great album

We both probably wrote the reviews before either went up. The more people hear about these guys, the better.

(Tho I wish St. Louis had a radio station that would play stuff like this; we're pretty much stuck with like three bland contemporary Christian stations and a couple bland mainstream alt-rock. Very little Tooth & Nail anywhere)
03:20 PM on 03/29/08
im_wide_awake
User Info.
We both probably wrote the reviews before either went up. The more people hear about these guys, the better.

(Tho I wish St. Louis had a radio station that would play stuff like this; we're pretty much stuck with like three bland contemporary Christian stations and a couple bland mainstream alt-rock. Very little Tooth & Nail anywhere)

Haha yeh i was thinking it's good for the band's attention. Also, we both gave it like the same rating. Weird?
Our radio station here in the Toledo area is awesome. They play tons of Tooth and Nail stuff, and have something called the Loud Planet, where they play some harder stuff and louder stuff. We also have a worship station, but I prefer the other Christian station. Lots of good variety. I believe you can listen online at yeshome.com
09:05 AM on 03/30/08
lauren<3s music
i am a slippery slope
User Info.
I've gotta say this is one of my favorite reviews ever. Simple, to the point, and well written. Great jobs
08:48 AM on 04/08/08
im_wide_awake
User Info.
I've gotta say this is one of my favorite reviews ever. Simple, to the point, and well written. Great jobs
Thanks friendo.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version