AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Skate and Surf Fest News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Listen To A New John D Interview

Posted by - 09:48 AM on 02/22/13
Listen to a new interview in the replies with John D as they discuss facets of Skate And Surf and many other topics.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
09:48 AM on 02/22/13
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
09:51 AM on 02/22/13
ghelms88
Back by Popular Demand
User Info.
Is there anything different from his interview with Property of Zack yesterday?
10:20 AM on 02/22/13
domotime2
great googily moogily
User Info.
there are a whole bunch of things that can be discussed in regards to this interview...

1) using cell phone games as a platform to advertise musicians isn't a terrible idea, but i'm confused on the details of his approach. Is he going to create one video game with a revolving soundtrack? Or multiple games with multiple soundtracks? Also, what if the games don't get succesful or what if the games suck. This idea reminds me of how many bands I starterd to listen to because of Tony Hawk, so there is definitely some truth to this strategy....but this could also fail instantly.

2) a big festival cant work in the nyc area. Lol what? of course it can. You just talked about how succesful bamboozle was year after year (unless you're making that up) and then the year you moved it to asbury, is when it all went to shit. I dont think thats a surprise there. If the festival is good enough, NYC will make it sell out. Or if it's REALLY good the entire northeast will flock to make it sell out. Governor's ball will sell out...shows in nyc sell out instantly....from fall out boy, to taking back sunday, to steve aoiki, to red hot chili peppers.

3) electric shows are outselling rock shows, so lets panic. I've heard how touring has become difficult over the past few years and bands arent selling out shows as much as they used to (i dont have any data to back that up, but I feel as if that's been mentioned in the past)...but I wouldn't use house shows as a sticking point. Who cares if they out-sell you? Pop shows and fads will always outsell a Sense Fail show....underground rock NEVER out-performs anything lol. Also, I don't see the connection of video games and 'enhancing' the concert experience. I dont think THAT many people are going to be more amped to go to a show just because i can play a video game with a band for a few minutes.
* the break between sets thing can improve....but like he said, thats when kids are supposed to buy drinks and merch, so its essential.

i can go on and on about this interview.....i think he's wrong.
10:30 AM on 02/22/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
Very good interview.
10:37 AM on 02/22/13
m22nyc25
Matt
User Info.
there are a whole bunch of things that can be discussed in regards to this interview...

1) using cell phone games as a platform to advertise musicians isn't a terrible idea, but i'm confused on the details of his approach. Is he going to create one video game with a revolving soundtrack? Or multiple games with multiple soundtracks? Also, what if the games don't get succesful or what if the games suck. This idea reminds me of how many bands I starterd to listen to because of Tony Hawk, so there is definitely some truth to this strategy....but this could also fail instantly.

2) a big festival cant work in the nyc area. Lol what? of course it can. You just talked about how succesful bamboozle was year after year (unless you're making that up) and then the year you moved it to asbury, is when it all went to shit. I dont think thats a surprise there. If the festival is good enough, NYC will make it sell out. Or if it's REALLY good the entire northeast will flock to make it sell out. Governor's ball will sell out...shows in nyc sell out instantly....from fall out boy, to taking back sunday, to steve aoiki, to red hot chili peppers.

3) electric shows are outselling rock shows, so lets panic. I've heard how touring has become difficult over the past few years and bands arent selling out shows as much as they used to (i dont have any data to back that up, but I feel as if that's been mentioned in the past)...but I wouldn't use house shows as a sticking point. Who cares if they out-sell you? Pop shows and fads will always outsell a Sense Fail show....underground rock NEVER out-performs anything lol. Also, I don't see the connection of video games and 'enhancing' the concert experience. I dont think THAT many people are going to be more amped to go to a show just because i can play a video game with a band for a few minutes.
* the break between sets thing can improve....but like he said, thats when kids are supposed to buy drinks and merch, so its essential.

i can go on and on about this interview.....i think he's wrong.
I don't think there will ever be a BIG festival in NYC. Bamboozle was decent but it wasn't a big festival. It wasn't Coachella, it wasn't Bonnaroo, it wasn't like the huge festivals in Europe and around the world.

I would love to see a huge festival like those happen here but it isn't likely.
10:40 AM on 02/22/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
All points west basically happened in the NYC-area and that was pretty big... on top of some of the ones you named already. I wish one day, but I don't know if it'll ever happen.
11:49 AM on 02/22/13
Thisisgoodbye
User Info.
I don't think there will ever be a BIG festival in NYC. Bamboozle was decent but it wasn't a big festival. It wasn't Coachella, it wasn't Bonnaroo, it wasn't like the huge festivals in Europe and around the world.

I dont think thats true. All Points West in NJ was huge, and Governor's Ball is definitely gonna grow to be one of the big summer festivals.
11:57 AM on 02/22/13
positiv-o
throwing punches at ocean waves
User Info.

I think the difference between having a festival in NYC and the ones you listed is that successful, HUGE festivals take place outside of large cities. Especially Coachella. It takes place in the middle of the desert. If it were close to LA it's be impossible to deal with that many people.

Of course I'm not even close to an expert, especially not on East Coast venues and cities. Just my thoughts.
12:04 PM on 02/22/13
domotime2
great googily moogily
User Info.

Bamboozle was pretty large...and governors ball is huge...and edc is big too. These are all extremely large festials (not coachella or bonaroo or lolla) but still huge. His argument is that it wouldn't work, but I disagree....although its not as if those large festivals are in major ities anyways
03:10 PM on 02/22/13
mikeXXXnj
I'm the (not actually)black jesus.
User Info.
pretty sure this dude is just plain crazy. He goes on rants in the interview that don't make sense.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos